LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

Originally posted by global_nomad:
I don't think any QB on our roster would look good w/our starters, the way our 1st string OL played against their 1st string DL.

If the Pats could develop Brady for a year I think Davis can learn the game and play book in depth for a year.

part of the reason Davis looks so good is because our last string O-line has been dominating our opponents last string d-line.

I like his decision making, but I really believe especially with his learning disability he needs to be developed a year.

That certainly wasn't the case versus Dallas.
I would like to point out to all of those out there who like to point to the fact that Davis is playing against third stringers ...... that here we have a rookie who got very few reps during training camp while Hill and Smith recieved most of the reps. I wouldn't expect that a rookie would be looking so comfortable in the pocket and making such nice reads and then following through with such nice accurate strikes. I am not advocating that he is ready right now but the coaches should be working intensly to get him well versed with this offense ....... because it is slightly possible that he could handle more than we think earlier than we think.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ERGUY:
I would like to point out to all of those out there who like to point to the fact that Davis is playing against third stringers ...... that here we have a rookie who got very few reps during training camp while Hill and Smith recieved most of the reps. I wouldn't expect that a rookie would be looking so comfortable in the pocket and making such nice reads and then following through with such nice accurate strikes. I am not advocating that he is ready right now but the coaches should be working intensly to get him well versed with this offense ....... because it is slightly possible that he could handle more than we think earlier than we think.

Hill didn't practice much and who knows how much his back is really bothering him.
I dont think there was ever any doubt that Davis was going to get a roster spot ahead over Huard even before tonight.
Originally posted by fan49:

his passes were impressive, i like his balls, i think vernon would too
Originally posted by teeohh:

Yes his balls are very nice. I think Vernon would like Nate's balls in his hands too.

[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM ]
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:

you like his balls?

very well said
I see a lot of hidden anger on the possibility that McCloughan would be stupid enough to hazard losing Nate Davis. I may not think McCloughan is much more then a scout but it would mean his job to lose someone like Nate. In fact he might not survive some insane ninerfans if that were to happen. I do think the team has decided a while ago to make Nate a big part of the future. You do not give a supposedly marginal player an entire half when your starters urgently need the work. I think they knew what he might become but the guts and character parts were unproven and I think now that they know about that part of Nate, I think both Hill and Alex will go before Nate does. As they say, the proof is in the pudding they now know what Nate can be. They only needed to see what we saw. If Nate was even half of what he showed, the team was risking Nate on the practice squad. Knowing that means that they were willing to commit and get him up to speed quickly. I doubt that sort of action means they are going to risk him. I bet Singletary sits all night in front of his room with a shotgun. By the way, Nate came across as a bright and thoughtfull guy in his interview. Hahah remember Bradshaw and KAT hahahah. Well I recall guys who probably only knew 3 words one of which was duuh. I really think he might be one of the brighter qbs around.

Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by GoNiners:
Originally posted by RonMexico:
merged or locked

which one will it be

how about delete

why, different thread, and factual?

see how your original thread got merged?

my point exactly we've already had threads about Nate Davis looking good in preseason.

its not about looking good, he plain and simple plays better and waaaaaay more accurate than any qb on our team

I dont know what was wrong w Hill tonight, but he didnt play w much urgency. He looked like Smith, throwing balls away and no scrambling. Im not worried though b/c about 50 pct of our plays were screens... Haha.. Maybe to show Crabtree what hes missin, that man is crazy when he has a screen in front of him. But to be honest w/ you if he continues to impess and Hill starts to regress, I wouldnt mind seeing him in the game. Instead of going back to our revolving door of the same QBs. Of course that wont happen b/c Smith would get a chance. Either way i want a Q
Inspite of Nate Davis playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I still like the way he conducts himself. He remains compose under pressure, QUICK THINKING and reacting, can make the long and short throws and seems to be pretty accurate with his passes while on the run.

Definitely the kid has potential and I'll bet that Huard is the ODD man out.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit that given a couple of years, this kid will be fighting for the starting position.

It could even be that with the Offensive line not being able to protect the QB's, they (Hill and Smith) could sustain injuries where Singletary will have no choice but to bring in the kid. Keep in mind also that Singletary will NOT hesitate to change QB if the present one stinks up the place.

You never know! Whatever, this kid is NOT going anywhere ... He has too much potential!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 30, 2009 at 1:19 AM ]
People keep talking abut Nate's learning disability. It should be noted that dyslexic people and those with other learning disabilities are not necessarily less intelligent then those with out said disabilities. The problem is that their brains process information differently. Nate has stated several times that he is a visual learning. Give him a book of words and he has a problem processing the information. Give him a book of pictures or diagrams (NFL Playbook) and he's fine. Many teams were afraid to draft the guy because of his learning issues and the unorthodox throwing mechanics, i.e. not holding the ball by the laces. The way I see it is that their loss is our gain. I'm not ready to crown him a Tom Brady type find, but the kid looks to have the stuff so far. If coached correctly, Nate shouldn't have anymore problems picking up the offense than anyone else.
I don't think any QB on our roster would look good w/our starters, the way our 1st string OL played against their 1st string DL.

If the Pats could develop Brady for a year I think Davis can learn the game and play book in depth for a year.

part of the reason Davis looks so good is because our last string O-line has been dominating our opponents last string d-line.

I like his decision making, but I really believe especially with his learning disability he needs to be developed a year.

I don't know man... look what happened the last time a rook QB from Ball State started... 5 years and 2 SB rings later... and he's doin TV shows with Shaq... rapin hoes in Tahoe lol
really same thread ones about a roster spot and the mines about him being better than our starter. but i guess it got merged because i didn't say please

It got merged cuz:

1. Mine was a poll
2. Mine was better
3. Mine was posted first
4. I have more red boxes than you
Share 49ersWebzone