LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 214 users in the forums

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Did Nate Davis Just Win A Roster Spot? (Poll, Please don't merge)

• JMC52
  • Veteran
I see 101% in the poll voting heh
  • B650
  • Veteran
Not only did he won a roster spot, but he should now replace Smith as our QB of the future.
[ Edited by B650 on Aug 30, 2009 at 8:23 AM ]
Davis still has a long way to go, but I think the 49ers have finally found a QB to develop. He's got all the tools to be successful in the NFL, but not sense in rushing him into anything. Davis is a keeper.

The logical thing to do is to let Alex Smith go and try somewhere else, start Hill, and have a proven vet like Huard to back him up while Davis develops.
Originally posted by 49erScott:
Davis still has a long way to go, but I think the 49ers have finally found a QB to develop. He's got all the tools to be successful in the NFL, but not sense in rushing him into anything. Davis is a keeper.

The logical thing to do is to let Alex Smith go and try somewhere else, start Hill, and have a proven vet like Huard to back him up while Davis develops.

Good reasoning and I completely agree.
The question is this. If Hill doesn't look like a good stopgap this season, and nor does Smith, do the 9ers still draft a high round QB in the offseason, or do they continue to develop Davis?

If the Niners drafted McCoy or Snead or Bradford, Davis would never have a shot at a starting job here most likely.
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by 49erScott:

Good reasoning and I completely agree.

Ditto, but we should also look to add another QB I'm intrigued by Davis, but it never hurts to stockpile QB talent! You can see how picking a guy in the first round and not bringing in any other rookie talent has worked out with Smith, I don't agree with the all or nothing mentality of the current front office.
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:
The question is this. If Hill doesn't look like a good stopgap this season, and nor does Smith, do the 9ers still draft a high round QB in the offseason, or do they continue to develop Davis?

If the Niners drafted McCoy or Snead or Bradford, Davis would never have a shot at a starting job here most likely.

you forgot Tebow!

Haven't seen this posted... but this impressed me...
Not the fact that he hit the targets on the move. I've
seen many NFL QB's in this kind of challenge that have
done well, but sucked in the NFL.

What impressed me is how effortless he made it look. He has
the natural skillset needed. It seems as if he has the intangibles.
That "IT" factor.

holy sh*t! 70 yards!?!??!??!?
The reason we are showing Nate Davis some love is well he brought us back from behind for 2 victories, and not just any teams but they were against our HATED rivals.
The kid has earned a roster spot.

Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
Originally posted by RedWaltz24:

you forgot Tebow!

There are so many good QB's coming out that the 49er's SHOULD consider drafting one of them. Sure wouldn't hurt That's assuming of course that the 49er's will NOT have a good enough won-loss record that they're not in the running comes draft time.

The two glaring needs for the 49er's this upcoming draft are a Pass Rusher and a QB. Nate Davis may work out but doesn't hurt to have another potential.

Personally I like Tebow from the few times I've seen him. Seems to be very composed and accurate.
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Aug 30, 2009 at 12:11 PM ]
Nate Davis = cross between Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.
Originally posted by Rikimaru03:
holy sh*t! 70 yards!?!??!??!?

That's what I'm saying. When was the last time, if ever, we had someone on our roster that could make that throw so natural and effotless. He made it look easy
Yes, Davis won a spot, but one cannot judge a QB on such flimsy evidence. O'Sullivan looked good for a while and then wilted. Hill played well for a while, and now there are serious question marks. Do not be too hasty in your judgment.

In any event, this all ignores the bigger point: Until the 49ers build a dependable OL, each and every QB they send out there will be sent into the vortex of a QB destroyer. Each will flounder while running for their life, and each will eventually limp off the field to be put on IR.

It has been five years and the 9ers have still not built the essential foundation of any successful franchise. What's the point of signing another QB free agent or drafting another QB prospect when it just throws them into an environment preventing them from performing up to their capablility. How would Romo have done last night if he was the 49ers' QB?
He definitely deserves a roster spot. The guy has major potential to be a good QB in this league, maybe not elite but a good one. It is up to the 49er coaches and staff to help him develop and learn the ins and outs of the NFL. I liked him in college and thought he should have gone higher and we are lucky to have got him in the 5th. If Hill/Smith stink it up, im sure Sing won't mind putting him in if he has progressed but it will do him wonders to just sit on the bench this year and work hard during the season and off season and next year look were he is and if he shows improvement it will help the team not have to use a pick on another QB and address another need like NT/OLB/FS.
Share 49ersWebzone