LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

49er TV Blackouts? Washington Post Article on state of NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • niner_rick
  • Info N/A
Will Niners be subject to TV blackouts this year? Article identifies 49ers as one of 8 NFL teams having trouble selling season tickets. Interesting that all 3 California teams are identified as having issues with season ticket sales.

Also interesting that only 9 NFL games did not sell out last year.

Article to run in tomorrow's Washington Post

If this would be better suited in NFL talk then Mods please move.

Link to article
[ Edited by niner_rick on Aug 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM ]
  • NickV
  • Veteran
Doesn't ktvu usually buy the remaining tickets so they can air the game?
idk what to say, but thx god for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, without it, fans like myself(in NY) would be stuck watching crapy games IMO, like the giants and jets.
The same thing has been said the last 3 yrs. We will not get blacked out.
KTVU will buy the tickets if we dont sell tickets so its all good.
the 49er games are NEVER blocked out. dont worry
  • niner_rick
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NickV:

Totally Correct. There is a break even point for them (point where local ad revenue generated by 49er broadcast justifies buying remaing tickets). I heard that it is around 4,000 tickets. A 49er broadcast for KTUV also generates revune from their post game show. That is the factor for them to buy unsold tixs.
  • niner_rick
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:

not since late 1981.....70s it was very common.
So long as the perception that the 49ers are getting back close to respectability remains, there aren't going to be blackouts. If they just sort of give up like the Oakland A's have, then blackouts will be coming.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:

werd.. not gonna happen.. we ain't the gayders

Originally posted by niner_rick:

Totally Correct. There is a break even point for them (point where local ad revenue generated by 49er broadcast justifies buying remaing tickets). I heard that it is around 4,000 tickets. A 49er broadcast for KTUV also generates revune from their post game show. That is the factor for them to buy unsold tixs.

true I took a course in college from a member of the KTVU Sports broadcasting team that confirmed this. They make money from advertising space from the post game show. They buy all remaining tickets and STILL make profit from the local post game show ads.

This comes up at least once or twice a year when people see the stadium looking "half empty" let the game isn't blacked out.

Of course a winning team would end all speculation
Originally posted by global_nomad:

true I took a course in college from a member of the KTVU Sports broadcasting team that confirmed this. They make money from advertising space from the post game show. They buy all remaining tickets and STILL make profit from the local post game show ads.

This comes up at least once or twice a year when people see the stadium looking "half empty" let the game isn't blacked out.

Of course a winning team would end all speculation

There wasn't a single game last year that the stadium was only half empty. The most I've seen in the past 10 years was about 3/4 full, and that was when it was raining.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
idk what to say, but thx god for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, without it, fans like myself(in NY) would be stuck watching crapy games IMO, like the giants and jets.

Ummmm BLACKOUTS mean that LOCAL games do not get aired. You'd have a better shot to see a 9er game if they blacked out the NY teams.

~Ceadder

They should then break them up and resell them at face value if there isn't a rule against that. At least they can give stubhub a run for their money and recoup some of the money they initially invested. Is there a rule against that?

I know that they use some of them for giveaways too.

~Ceadder
KTVU should give me some tickets. I guarantee I can distribute them to people that will help with the loudness of our stadium.
Share 49ersWebzone