LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 353 users in the forums

49er TV Blackouts? Washington Post Article on state of NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
yeah, ive always wondered what ktvu did with those extra tickets
  • ZRF80
Thanks San Franciscans.........for going out and supporting our team.

I guess media ploys like DirecTV were created because of fans like you. At least the rest of us can support our team the best way we can......
Originally posted by ZRF80:

I guess media ploys like DirecTV were created because of fans like you. At least the rest of us can support our team the best way we can......

werent you the guy that suggested we move our team to LA?
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
idk what to say, but thx god for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, without it, fans like myself(in NY) would be stuck watching crapy games IMO, like the giants and jets.

I second that, all I get is Bills! Other than TO who wants to watch that??
Originally posted by bigmur49:
idk what to say, but thx god for DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket, without it, fans like myself(in NY) would be stuck watching crapy games IMO, like the giants and jets.

damn i dont know what i'll do if i get stuck watching the bills boring asses every sunday. im stuck with the panthers and falcons here in sc. i can keep a better look out on the panther hopefully losing season
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by niner_rick:
Originally posted by NickV:
Doesn't ktvu usually buy the remaining tickets so they can air the game?

Totally Correct. There is a break even point for them (point where local ad revenue generated by 49er broadcast justifies buying remaing tickets). I heard that it is around 4,000 tickets. A 49er broadcast for KTUV also generates revune from their post game show. That is the factor for them to buy unsold tixs.

true I took a course in college from a member of the KTVU Sports broadcasting team that confirmed this. They make money from advertising space from the post game show. They buy all remaining tickets and STILL make profit from the local post game show ads.

This comes up at least once or twice a year when people see the stadium looking "half empty" let the game isn't blacked out.

Of course a winning team would end all speculation

There wasn't a single game last year that the stadium was only half empty. The most I've seen in the past 10 years was about 3/4 full, and that was when it was raining.

I agree. But I put "half empty" in quotes because when people see a section that is not full they over react and call the whole stadium half empty.
If the games didn't get blacked out in 04 and 05, there's no way they are getting blacked out now.

BTW, that rule should be done away with.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Originally posted by bigmur49:

damn i dont know what i'll do if i get stuck watching the bills boring asses every sunday. im stuck with the panthers and falcons here in sc. i can keep a better look out on the panther hopefully losing season

I'm smack dab in the middle of Detroit and Cleveland and people wonder why I'm a 9er fan

Since when has the Washington Post been right about anything? It's a rag. Use it to line the bottom of the bird cage.

LB
  • dj43
Originally posted by leebert81:
Since when has the Washington Post been right about anything? It's a rag. Use it to line the bottom of the bird cage.

LB

Actually the Washington Post is considered by most media observers to be best fishwrap in the nation. That doesn't make them 100% accurate but they are better than any other paper in the land.

On a sidenote, they are one of only a couple major newspapers still able to make money. And isn't it interesting; they used to be almost as far to the liberal side of the world as the NYTimes. Two years ago they began moving back toward the center and the revenue stream turned around. Go figure.

But on the topic, there will almost certainly be more blackouts and unfilled seats around the league this year than there have been for years. The economy will have an impact.

The discussion over poor team/poor economy could go on for a long time but the fact is, they both impact the number of people who will buy a ticket. As the price goes up and the size of the paycheck goes down, there is less money to spend on a game. Right now, by the time you pay for parking, a sandwich and a beverage or two, you spend $150 to watch a football game that demands at least 8 hours of your time. Not very many people will do that in this world.

• ZRF80
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Yes I was.

The only "love" I have for San Francisco is for the team itself, and the rich tradition and history that goes along with the franchise. Take that away, and the fanbase in that particular city is absolute garbage. 49er fans only show up when the team is playing good; absolutely disappear (worse, they dont even anknowledge their fanhood) when the team plays bad. Ive seen more green jerseys dotting Candlestick when the Eagles and/or Packers visit than Id like, and it has everything to do with our pathetic fanbase neglecting the team. If the team could move to LA and still keep the SF nametag and all the tradition that goes along with it, Id be number 1 no the list to favor that move.

We all like to complian how Niner brass has done a piss poor job of getting us a new stadium and making the 49ers environment more "fan-friendly". A lot of that has to do with the fans themselves.........

End of rant.............
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:

Yes I was.

The only "love" I have for San Francisco is for the team itself, and the rich tradition and history that goes along with the franchise. Take that away, and the fanbase in that particular city is absolute garbage. 49er fans only show up when the team is playing good; absolutely disappear (worse, they dont even anknowledge their fanhood) when the team plays bad. Ive seen more green jerseys dotting Candlestick when the Eagles and/or Packers visit than Id like, and it has everything to do with our pathetic fanbase neglecting the team. If the team could move to LA and still keep the SF nametag and all the tradition that goes along with it, Id be number 1 no the list to favor that move.

We all like to complian how Niner brass has done a piss poor job of getting us a new stadium and making the 49ers environment more "fan-friendly". A lot of that has to do with the fans themselves.........

End of rant.............

I think that the fans at the games are so soft is because they're all upper middle class, mid-50s baby boomers who care more about their wine and cheese parties in the parking lot. A lot of other people are dissuaded from buying season tickets because of that awful, awful drive out to the point.

When we move to the South Bay, I think we'll see a needed changeover in the season ticket holders. Young Professionals with disposable income in the South Bay will snap up tickets, along with families in Pleasanton, Livermore, and Walnut Creek.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Aug 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM ]
  • mod
  • Veteran
that eagle niner game in 06 was embarrassingly bad... it felt like 1/3 eagles fans
Originally posted by modninerfan:
that eagle niner game in 06 was embarrassingly bad... it felt like 1/3 eagles fans

I think that's more common nowadays. There are fans of every team in every city -- and when your team comes to town, you're very likely to buy a ticket. Unless you intimidate and attack other fans like they do in Oakland, Cleveland, and Philly, its gonna happen.
[ Edited by nickbradley on Aug 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by niner_rick:
Originally posted by NickV:
Doesn't ktvu usually buy the remaining tickets so they can air the game?

Totally Correct. There is a break even point for them (point where local ad revenue generated by 49er broadcast justifies buying remaing tickets). I heard that it is around 4,000 tickets. A 49er broadcast for KTUV also generates revune from their post game show. That is the factor for them to buy unsold tixs.

They should then break them up and resell them at face value if there isn't a rule against that. At least they can give stubhub a run for their money and recoup some of the money they initially invested. Is there a rule against that?

I know that they use some of them for giveaways too.

You can bet they are selling them or trying too. it would be stupid.

~Ceadder
Share 49ersWebzone