LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

We need four QBs on the roster

Shop Find 49ers gear online
week 15

half way through the 4th qtr.

9ers and Eagles have play 3 grueling quarters of back and forth football.

49ers have played well all season but with the competition in the NFC....they need this win to keep their Playoff hopes alive....and have the Rams and Lions in the next 2 weeks.

But they need this win.

again half way through the 4th qtr.

Hill goes down.....Fuuuuuuuuuuu

starting at their own 10 yard line.
9ers need a QB to come in and sustain drives and get them in fieldgoal position against the Eagle defense.

the 49ers personal has played well all season....and just need a capable QB to lead them down field...and let their playmakers make plays....

fanboyism aside....who should be brought in for our team and for our fans.

Damon Huard, Alex Smith, or Nate Davis

if we are a playoff team....and imo we are.....but if you believe we are also.....then these are the scenarios we have to be prepared for.

we can't just try to win and at the same time keep certain players just to have feel good stories along the way....every roster spot is important!.... we have to concentrate 100% on winning this whole season and make sure our Depth Chart is prepared that way.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Aug 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM ]
The last time the niners kept four qb's, I believe these where the four.

Gio Carmazzi
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett

Do we really want to go back to these dark days. Huard is odd man out, plain and simple. He is 36, and could be picked back up.

I personally would cut Smith, as he still lifts his back foot when throwing, constantly overthrows receivers, and cannot complete short pass's for screens.

I think Smith has no trade valule, if a team would give up any draft picks in the future, they should jump on it.
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by 9erred:

Gio Carmazzi
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett

Do we really want to go back to these dark days. Huard is odd man out, plain and simple. He is 36, and could be picked back up.

I personally would cut Smith, as he still lifts his back foot when throwing, constantly overthrows receivers, and cannot complete short pass's for screens.

I think Smith has no trade valule, if a team would give up any draft picks in the future, they should jump on it.

They’ve never kept four it was
Smith
Rattay
Dorsey
Pickett was brought up from the practice squad after injury that’s what teams do they don’t carry four QB’s
No we don't, and Davis might be too good to risk on the practice squad.....By By Alex
Yes, because one has a sore back, another a hurt pinkie, another is a career backup and the other is a puppy. Maybe between all 4 we can make it through a game.

Maybe we ought to elevate Nate to starter, since I think all he has to do is hand the ball of to Gore/Coffee/Robinson and an occassional reverse to a WR.
I say we give Andy Lee a shot, after all he is going to be our MVP again this year anyway
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
Originally posted by 9erred:

Gio Carmazzi
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett

They’ve never kept four it was
Smith
Rattay
Dorsey
Pickett was brought up from the practice squad after injury that’s what teams do they don’t carry four QB’s

Not true at all:

Alex Smith
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Cody Pickett - he was never on the practice squad.

I'm pretty sure in 2003 it was:

Jeff Garcia
Tim Rattay
Ken Dorsey
Brandon Doman
Originally posted by danimal:
I say we give Andy Lee a shot, after all he is going to be our MVP again this year anyway

That makes sense. If he can handle those kicker snaps, he should be
able to hand off to the running back successfully. And hey, isn't that
what our offense is going to be about. If the OC really wants to get
successful, they can run the option using Robinson or Battle (ex-college QBs)
to toss the option pass.

You never know, he might be the reincarnation of Sammy Baugh
(or with the right "consultants" he may be able to channel Sammy Baugh).
[ Edited by nvninerfan1 on Aug 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM ]
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Either Smith should be traded or Huard will be cut (and if I were Huard, I'd think I'm the odd man out).

Four quarterbacks is one too many. No way they can risk putting Davis on the practice squad.

Bye-bye, Damon?

What could you get for him, maybe a bag of pretzels and a six pack?
Originally posted by nvninerfan1:
Originally posted by danimal:

That makes sense. If he can handle those kicker snaps, he should be able to hand off to the running back successfully. And hey, isn't that what our offense is going to be
about. If the OC really wants to get successful, they can run the option using Robinson or Battle (ex-college QBs to toss the option pass.

You never know, he might be the reincarnation of Sammy Baugh (or with the
right "consultants" he may be able to channel Sammy Baugh)

rofl copters

Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by Ohio49er:
Either Smith should be traded or Huard will be cut (and if I were Huard, I'd think I'm the odd man out).

Four quarterbacks is one too many. No way they can risk putting Davis on the practice squad.

Bye-bye, Damon?

What could you get for him, maybe a bag of pretzels and a six pack?

better be one damn good six pack and a huge bag of pretzels
I don't think we should have 4 QB's on the roster. That is a waste of a spot imo. What are the chances that 3 QB's get injured? Our o-line might just protect well this year given the unit has had some time to work together. Go Niners...

Let us all pray that Alex is the odd man out because he simply has nothing to offer above the other 3...
Originally posted by Afrikan:
week 15

half way through the 4th qtr.

9ers and Eagles have play 3 grueling quarters of back and forth football.

49ers have played well all season but with the competition in the NFC....they need this win to keep their Playoff hopes alive....and have the Rams and Lions in the next 2 weeks.

But they need this win.

again half way through the 4th qtr.

Hill goes down.....Fuuuuuuuuuuu

starting at their own 10 yard line.
9ers need a QB to come in and sustain drives and get them in fieldgoal position against the Eagle defense.

the 49ers personal has played well all season....and just need a capable QB to lead them down field...and let their playmakers make plays....

fanboyism aside....who should be brought in for our team and for our fans.

Damon Huard, Alex Smith, or Nate Davis

if we are a playoff team....and imo we are.....but if you believe we are also.....then these are the scenarios we have to be prepared for.

we can't just try to win and at the same time keep certain players just to have feel good stories along the way....every roster spot is important!.... we have to concentrate 100% on winning this whole season and make sure our Depth Chart is prepared that way.

If you don't have confidence that the QB can come in and just manage the game then none of them should be on the roster. I like Smith, but he seems to make the most mistakes. But from watching the preseason, Nate showed he is very capable and Huard has been there and done that. Looking from a winning standpoint, I like the veteran Huard with the potential Davis.
Final Roster:

Hill

Smith

Davis

End of story.
Originally posted by BigMar:
Final Roster:

Hill

Smith

Davis

End of story.

No sir, that is not good insurance in case something tragic happens to Hill.Why, just why should Smith start above anyone one this roster. He doesn't know the offense better, he isn't more skilled/talented. I just can't see Sing making that happen.
Share 49ersWebzone