Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Ok, don't get me wrong, Nate looks great and could possibly be our future QB, but three things bother me:
1. He's playing against 2nd-3rd stringers, so not the best comparisons.
2. He played for Ball State last season, so what NFL caliber talent has he played against?
3. Can he play under pressure? (League championship and bowl game come to mind)?
I know everyone wants Hill to be Steve and Joe, but he's not. He's had one real start and now since he's the official starter, he will have more time to work with his WRs until the regular season starts. I know he started bad, but the field goal drive he was looking very good connecting on a few good passes. Raye's play calling seemed to throw the team off this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we changed up back to run heavy with short route passes to gain yards and eat up clock for our defense.
1. He's playing with 2nd and 3rd string receivers and offensive line as well. And the poise and arm strength and accuracy really don't have much to do with who you are playing against.
2. They play against the likes of Miami of Ohio, the alma mater of Ben Roethlisberger, who last time I checked had some NFL jewelry on his finger. What NFL talent had Ben played against? In fact, Big Ben's college stats:
* 2001: 241/381 (63.3%) for 3105 yards and 21 TD vs. 2 INT. 120 carries for 189 yards and 3 TD.
* 2002: 271/428 (63.3%) for 3238 yards and 22 TD vs. 11 INT. 82 carries for 54 yards and 1 TD.
* 2003: 342/495 (69.1%) for 4486 yards and 37 TD vs. 10 INT. 67 carries for 111 yards and 3 TD.
Nate Davis' college stats:
*2006 150/244 (61.5%) for 1975 yards and 18 TDs to 8 INT (only started 7 games)
*2007 270/479 (56.4%) for 3667 yards and 30 TDs to 6 INTs
*2008 258/401 (64.3%) for 3591 yards and 26 TDs to 8 INTs
I couldn't find the yearly breakdown for rushes, but career 173 rushes for 499 yards and 10 TDs.
So that's Ben, 87 total TDs to 23 INTs, Nate 84 total TDs to 22 INTs with only starting seven games his freshman year. I think we can all agree that Ben is a pretty good QB. Nate has very similar numbers playing in the same collegiate conference.
He has also played against the likes of Boston College, Michigan @ Michigan (lost 34-26, but scared the hell out of the Wolverines in his first season), and Nebraska @ Nebraska (threw for 422 yards, 3TDs, and 1 INT plus rushed for 59 yards and a TD in a 40-41 loss) just to name a few.
3. Championship and Bowl games are a sour point, but playing right with Michigan in their house as a true freshman...putting up 4 TDs and over 400 yards passing against Nebraska in their house as a sophomore??? I'd say that's handling some serious pressure, especially considering he played for Ball State.
When I saw Brady Hoke pull Lynch and put in this freshman for a series or two the first Ball State game back in 2006, I thought it was an odd decision. The offense was looking good and he pulls the senior QB for a freshman? When he kept doing it throughout the early part of the season, I thought he was nuts. Bbut by the time he pulled the senior QB all together and let Nate start and play the entire game, I was a believer. He only proceeded to break the Ball State single season passing TD record his freshman year while only starting 7 games. And then proceeded to shatter that and several other school passing records in the next two years. I know it's pre-season, but think about this, how many NFL QBs can throw the deep out from the opposite hash like Nate did Saturday? Are any of those QBs on the 49ers roster?
He may not be ready with the full offensive playbook for half a season, or even a year. But it is a bit telling that he outperformed the other QBs with what was supposed to be a very limited set of plays, which one would think the defense would be able to defend well. Though to me, it looked like the play calling was more complicated/diverse during his time on the field than the rest of the game.
I'm thinking once my FFL starter's bye is done, I might be picking up Davis...you never know about the injury bug with Hill and Smith, and even if he doesn't play this year, I am in a keeper league ;)