There are 75 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

I say we try nate davis with first team offense

And look at how many tackles McKillop has!!! Let's dump Spikes now and start him instead. Look out Frank Gore you're next on the chopping block, because obviously it has been proven in preseason that Coffee is better than you.
Originally posted by linkboy:
That was the biggest mistake we made with Smith, why repeat it.

Let Davis be the 3rd string QB and learn the game at his pace.

I couldn't agree any more
Originally posted by WestCoast:
f**k it, im just gonna say it. Alex Smith HAS looked better than Hill this preseason.

Open your eyes. They've both looked equally bad. The difference is Hill has had more success during the regular season and Smith STILL lacks decision-making abilities. That is why Hill is our starter. If Hill sucks, Alex sucks just as much, probably more.

Nate Davis is our future starter unless we draft another QB early next year.
Originally posted by young9er:
And look at how many tackles McKillop has!!! Let's dump Spikes now and start him instead. Look out Frank Gore you're next on the chopping block, because obviously it has been proven in preseason that Coffee is better than you.

~Roll'n down the street, smoke'n innndo, sipp'n on Gin and juice~

I still think we should let Nate Davis get at least a few reps with the first unit in a preseason game.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Aug 30, 2009 at 20:11:49 ]
we need to start nate davis next week, just see how he does.

I'm down with that. We don't have a QB for the future on this team, unless Nate Davis is that guy. It can't hurt to let him play. It's only preaseaon anyway.
Originally posted by merm49:
He's got a great arm, accurate, and poised. Granted it was against backups

What does the competition have to do with the guy having a great arm and being accurate and poised? Those aren't things that superior competition are going to take away from him. You either have those things or you don't. It will obviously be harder to succeed against starters, but he will still be accurate and he will still have a strong arm. He may not be as poised until he loosens up, but he will get there eventually. People keep bringing up the fact we rushed Alex Smith in there too quickly, but Alex Smith never looked as good as Nate Davis - not even against benchwarmers.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I'm officially done with Shaun Hill.

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

And WHO do you suggest we put in? Alex Smith is no better. He has better arm strength, but worse accuracy and his decision-making skills are awful. Damon Huard.. Do I really need to argue against this guy? Just because he lit us up a few years ago means nothing. We sucked ass then.

If Hill does poorly during the regular season and they want to yank him, I would much rather see Nate Davis than Smith or Huard. I don't care that he is a rookie. He needs experience because he could very well be our future.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
I'm officially done with Shaun Hill.

Exactly. He is a horrible quarterback. Dont lie to me..., You webzone fans know right now that everytime S. Hill throws any type of intermediate pass, you all cringe and worry. How can you not? His abilities are very very limited. I dont want to be limited in our position at quarterback. Hill needs to be out of the starting position NOW

Ummmm, no. I used to cringe everytime Alex Smith threw any kind of pass. Hill's no Montana, but he's 3x the player that Smith is. The difference between Smith and Hill's performance tonight would have been the 2 INTs and 1 fumble Alex wouldve had against the Dallas starters.

Sorry but Alex's weakness is not his recklessness. It's probably the opposite -- he's just too conservative.

-9fA

I agree he is too conservative, but somehow he still manages to throw INTs.
Originally posted by jones49:
They just said on NFL Network that Nate Davis may be the bestt QB on our roster. I think its a little soon to say that but I definitely could se someone thinking that.

So far he is looking like the most talented QB on the roster. He seems to have a stronger, more accurate arm than any of the other 3 guys.
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by young9er:

~Roll'n down the street, smoke'n innndo, sipp'n on Gin and juice~

Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
Ok, don't get me wrong, Nate looks great and could possibly be our future QB, but three things bother me:

1. He's playing against 2nd-3rd stringers, so not the best comparisons.

2. He played for Ball State last season, so what NFL caliber talent has he played against?

3. Can he play under pressure? (League championship and bowl game come to mind)?

I know everyone wants Hill to be Steve and Joe, but he's not. He's had one real start and now since he's the official starter, he will have more time to work with his WRs until the regular season starts. I know he started bad, but the field goal drive he was looking very good connecting on a few good passes. Raye's play calling seemed to throw the team off this game, so I wouldn't be surprised if we changed up back to run heavy with short route passes to gain yards and eat up clock for our defense.

1. He's playing with 2nd and 3rd string receivers and offensive line as well. And the poise and arm strength and accuracy really don't have much to do with who you are playing against.

2. They play against the likes of Miami of Ohio, the alma mater of Ben Roethlisberger, who last time I checked had some NFL jewelry on his finger. What NFL talent had Ben played against? In fact, Big Ben's college stats:
* 2001: 241/381 (63.3%) for 3105 yards and 21 TD vs. 2 INT. 120 carries for 189 yards and 3 TD.
* 2002: 271/428 (63.3%) for 3238 yards and 22 TD vs. 11 INT. 82 carries for 54 yards and 1 TD.
* 2003: 342/495 (69.1%) for 4486 yards and 37 TD vs. 10 INT. 67 carries for 111 yards and 3 TD.

Nate Davis' college stats:
*2006 150/244 (61.5%) for 1975 yards and 18 TDs to 8 INT (only started 7 games)
*2007 270/479 (56.4%) for 3667 yards and 30 TDs to 6 INTs
*2008 258/401 (64.3%) for 3591 yards and 26 TDs to 8 INTs
I couldn't find the yearly breakdown for rushes, but career 173 rushes for 499 yards and 10 TDs.

So that's Ben, 87 total TDs to 23 INTs, Nate 84 total TDs to 22 INTs with only starting seven games his freshman year. I think we can all agree that Ben is a pretty good QB. Nate has very similar numbers playing in the same collegiate conference.

He has also played against the likes of Boston College, Michigan @ Michigan (lost 34-26, but scared the hell out of the Wolverines in his first season), and Nebraska @ Nebraska (threw for 422 yards, 3TDs, and 1 INT plus rushed for 59 yards and a TD in a 40-41 loss) just to name a few.

3. Championship and Bowl games are a sour point, but playing right with Michigan in their house as a true freshman...putting up 4 TDs and over 400 yards passing against Nebraska in their house as a sophomore??? I'd say that's handling some serious pressure, especially considering he played for Ball State.

When I saw Brady Hoke pull Lynch and put in this freshman for a series or two the first Ball State game back in 2006, I thought it was an odd decision. The offense was looking good and he pulls the senior QB for a freshman? When he kept doing it throughout the early part of the season, I thought he was nuts. Bbut by the time he pulled the senior QB all together and let Nate start and play the entire game, I was a believer. He only proceeded to break the Ball State single season passing TD record his freshman year while only starting 7 games. And then proceeded to shatter that and several other school passing records in the next two years. I know it's pre-season, but think about this, how many NFL QBs can throw the deep out from the opposite hash like Nate did Saturday? Are any of those QBs on the 49ers roster?

He may not be ready with the full offensive playbook for half a season, or even a year. But it is a bit telling that he outperformed the other QBs with what was supposed to be a very limited set of plays, which one would think the defense would be able to defend well. Though to me, it looked like the play calling was more complicated/diverse during his time on the field than the rest of the game.

I'm thinking once my FFL starter's bye is done, I might be picking up Davis...you never know about the injury bug with Hill and Smith, and even if he doesn't play this year, I am in a keeper league ;)
I SAY- We Let Davis stick around. He has a cannon on em.
Davis can't help it that he is better than the third stringers he is playing against!

A. Smith get's to play against other teams number ones at times and he looks horrible, so does this mean he should be the third string QB?

The kid Davis has an arm and athletic ability, but most of all he seems to have more hart than any of our QB's, so why not put him in there with the one's?

He does so much better than the rest of our QB's supposedly with less talented players around him (our 3rd string offense), just imagine how he would do with Gore and Co.

Just a thought!
The best thing for Nate Davis right now is to let him sit and learn.