There are 71 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Defensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I don't know what game most of you were watching but I saw alot of pressure. Just because you don't get sacks doesn't mean you aren't pressuring the QB. 2 of our picks came from pressuring the QB and the TD pass was bogus due the the mauling of Justin Smith. I don't know how they missed that call.

the better teams out there will get pressure up the middle, something we just dont seem to do. for the most part, i didnt think we have shown any semblence of a true pass rush. you got to balance that with as coach said, we are playing vanilla d right now, not showing all of our cards. but then that said, we don't have the personel that can flip the switch and be good pass rushers. any pass rush we do get this season will be smoke and mirrors. any seasoned qb will simply just step up in the pocket to give himself a few more seconds to kill you downfield if all the pressure you are going to get is smoke and mirror blitzes of the edge. any sacks we do get this year or any qb hurries are going to happen off of blitzes, blitzes you can get burned on. we don't have that guy that on talent alone can either pressure the qb or sack the qb from talent alone. balmer is not looking too good, sopoaga deal looks like a bad deal in retrospect, franklin is a career backup, smith is being played out of position, lawson like balmer is not panning out and so on....you go down the list, we dont have a pass rush becasue we dont have a guy who posesses the talent to be a pass rusher. like maiocco said earlier, we had two issues this training camp, who is qb, and where will the pass rush come from, neither has been answered so far. the one guy who put up numbers last season, harrelson, in my opinion had a fluke season with inflated numbers.
[ Edited by ssahnan on Aug 23, 2009 at 11:15 PM ]
How come everytime a goal line situation comes for us eric heitmann gets manhandled and we get a loss in the play? I see it all the time in crucial situations I think he is over rated!
On the TD in the first where Clements looks to release too early on his man, which ended up being a TD...it looks to me as though Clements let off of him thinking the FS was going to pick him up. That FS was Mark Roman and he has often been criticized for doing that far too often. So my question is, was that really Clements fault or was that WR supposed to be picked up by Roman?

I would say Roman as he had nothing else to do back there as that WR was the furthest into our secondary.
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
On the TD in the first where Clements looks to release too early on his man, which ended up being a TD...it looks to me as though Clements let off of him thinking the FS was going to pick him up. That FS was Mark Roman and he has often been criticized for doing that far too often. So my question is, was that really Clements fault or was that WR supposed to be picked up by Roman?

I would say Roman as he had nothing else to do back there as that WR was the furthest into our secondary.

I would say Roman blew the play, Clements thought the TE was coming in his direction for the pass, it was Cover 2, once Clements let him go by, Roman should have been there to pick him up.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by NickV:
our rook Briggs was getting some good push. A. Brooks also.

The TD that nate gave up was

It was cover 2, he saw the tight end start coming into his zone so he let the receiver go because the TE was threatening his zone, problem is the safety behind was Roman

That's true.

But given the down and distance he probably should have followed the WR. Even if the TE caught the ball he would have needed 23 yards to get a first down. Someone would have caught him.

Either way that whole play was f**ked up.

Yeah, it was 3rd & 22! I don't care if it's Cover 2 or Prevent... you shouldn't be giving up a long touchdown on 3rd & 22. It was like something you would see in Madden.
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I will finally admit it, Sopoaga played like crap tonight. Inconsistent is a pretty good word to describe his play tonight. He got stood up, locked up and pushed back, I actually thought Khalif Mitchell took on double teams better than him.

Still support him though.

I noticed that too. On a couple of plays, I would watch the defensive line alone when the ball was snapped and Sopoaga would be the LAST ONE to engage with the opposing linemen. Even in 1-on-1 situations, Sopoaga was having trouble getting a push. And he's supposed to be one of our strongest linemen? Maybe he got tired.
I like the interceptions. Nate worries me, but only sometimes. We still manage to get the ints though. Close to no pass rush. And our Run defense looks alright considering their elite running game.
McKillop is slow and awkward but seems to be in the right place at the right time. Isn't that veird??
Originally posted by ssahnan:
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I don't know what game most of you were watching but I saw alot of pressure. Just because you don't get sacks doesn't mean you aren't pressuring the QB. 2 of our picks came from pressuring the QB and the TD pass was bogus due the the mauling of Justin Smith. I don't know how they missed that call.

the better teams out there will get pressure up the middle, something we just dont seem to do. for the most part, i didnt think we have shown any semblence of a true pass rush. you got to balance that with as coach said, we are playing vanilla d right now, not showing all of our cards. but then that said, we don't have the personel that can flip the switch and be good pass rushers. any pass rush we do get this season will be smoke and mirrors. any seasoned qb will simply just step up in the pocket to give himself a few more seconds to kill you downfield if all the pressure you are going to get is smoke and mirror blitzes of the edge. any sacks we do get this year or any qb hurries are going to happen off of blitzes, blitzes you can get burned on. we don't have that guy that on talent alone can either pressure the qb or sack the qb from talent alone. balmer is not looking too good, sopoaga deal looks like a bad deal in retrospect, franklin is a career backup, smith is being played out of position, lawson like balmer is not panning out and so on....you go down the list, we dont have a pass rush becasue we dont have a guy who posesses the talent to be a pass rusher. like maiocco said earlier, we had two issues this training camp, who is qb, and where will the pass rush come from, neither has been answered so far. the one guy who put up numbers last season, harrelson, in my opinion had a fluke season with inflated numbers.

As I said in a later post, we arent were we need to be but our pass rush was fair against the Raiders. Even Coach said it himself. It still needs to improve. Haralson is a good pass rusher so I don't understand were you get that from. A couple of his sacks were huge at the points in the game he got them. Once we went strictly to the 3-4 our pass rush got better and no matter how you twist it preseason stunts and blitzes are going to be vanilla. I'm sure Manusky and Singletary have thier ace in the hole for blitz schemes and they wont show thier hand in the Preseason. We were 16th in sacks last year and I expect that to increase atleast slightly for the fact that its our first full season in the 3-4. We aren't going to be the Cowboys or Vikings when it comes to sacks but neither of them went to the superbowl.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I will finally admit it, Sopoaga played like crap tonight. Inconsistent is a pretty good word to describe his play tonight. He got stood up, locked up and pushed back, I actually thought Khalif Mitchell took on double teams better than him.

Still support him though.

What do you make of Soap playing late into the game against OAK??? He played well into the 2nd half at NT, and he didn't play well at all. Maybe Sing was sending him a message...........???
Just finished watching game. Franklin played a lot better and i actually seen some of the d lineman beat there guys one on one. I seen some pressures but still not getting the sacks Pass rush needs a lot work but it was a step in the correct direction Let's see how game 3 looks. and Nate need to get it together out there
Originally posted by 49erWill:
Please use this thread for post-game analysis of the defense as a whole, and/or individual players.

Be advised that relevent threads may be merged into this one at the discretion of the moderating staff.

Nice.