LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Didn't see the game yet...but per MM, the defensive bright spots were Briggs, Brooks, Balmer (the "B" guys), Harris, McKillop, Lawson, Bly and Reggie Smith, although he did give up a long pass play, but made some other good plays. Overall, he said the DL was pretty strong. From what he said, the front 7 was good, the secondary not so much.
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
our rook Briggs was getting some good push. A. Brooks also.

The TD that nate gave up was

It was cover 2, he saw the tight end start coming into his zone so he let the receiver go because the TE was threatening his zone, problem is the safety behind was Roman

That's true.

But given the down and distance he probably should have followed the WR. Even if the TE caught the ball he would have needed 23 yards to get a first down. Someone would have caught him.

Either way that whole play was f**ked up.

Roman needs to go! I can't stand watching the guy play!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
our rook Briggs was getting some good push. A. Brooks also.

The TD that nate gave up was

It was cover 2, he saw the tight end start coming into his zone so he let the receiver go because the TE was threatening his zone, problem is the safety behind was Roman

That's true.

But given the down and distance he probably should have followed the WR. Even if the TE caught the ball he would have needed 23 yards to get a first down. Someone would have caught him.

Either way that whole play was f**ked up.

Roman needs to go! I can't stand watching the guy play!

I actually chuckled when the camera zoomed out after Murphy caught the TD and saw Roman running towards him. Perfect/Classic timing for our boy Roman.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If we look at the run defense, we should note that Raider quarterbacks accounted for 36 of Oakland’s rushing yards and their only rushing touchdown. They averaged 7.2 per carry for 5 carries.

C. Frye 2 16
B. Gradkowski 2 11
J. Garcia 1 9

On the other hand, the Oakland running backs had 13 carries for a total of 33 yards. That is an average of 2.5 yards per carry.

M. Bush 3 15
G. Russell 2 9
D. McFadden 4 5
J. Fargas 2 3
L. Murphy 1 2
L. Rankin 1 -1
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
they are ready....the offense not so much

not yet. there's still much more to be done. especially with the DB's. they need better communication. no pass rush.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Didn't see the game yet...but per MM, the defensive bright spots were Briggs, Brooks, Balmer (the "B" guys), Harris, McKillop, Lawson, Bly and Reggie Smith, although he did give up a long pass play, but made some other good plays. Overall, he said the DL was pretty strong. From what he said, the front 7 was good, the secondary not so much.

Balmer? He didn't do a damn thing!
Originally posted by wailers15:

He was able to generate push more so than other games. And if you like at the int, Balmer got his hand on it.
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SolRebe1:

He was able to generate push more so than other games. And if you like at the int, Balmer got his hand on it.

He got a hand on a preseason pass. Well, before that he wasn't worth the 1st round pick but now after seeing that play, he definitely is. MAN, this guy is a first rounder, I'm expecting way more than that from him. So far he's a disappointment.

He's playing NT in a 3-4. Sometimes not noticing him is a good thing.

Btw, I noticed him and he performed very well
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

Balmer actually tipped the pass that Mckillop intercepted, not much but it's something.

is it me or lawson's "explosion" off the snap more closely resembles a jog?
Balmer played really well. He was getting push on almost every play. The only problem was that it was against raiders 2nd string oline.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Aug 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM ]
Missed the game yesterday, but my friend who's a Raider fan went to it. He laughed at the 49er fans next to him complaining "about their vanilla blitz packages, and wait till the 1st game of the season". He told them the reason your pass rush is so vanilla is because no one on your team can pressure the QB in one on one situations.
Well, if it's like the games I watched last year, we're going to have a long season. AGAIN
Off-topic: When Charles Haley eventually goes to the HOF, I hope he wears the 49er jersey. It seems like our team has been searching for a dominant pass rusher since he left.
Nait Clemenz is da wurst Cornur evar! Cut hims now!!11!!1
Originally posted by Schulzy:

He's playing NT in a 3-4. Sometimes not noticing him is a good thing.

Btw, I noticed him and he performed very well

Exactly!
Share 49ersWebzone