LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

Defensive post-game analysis (week 2)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Nait Clemenz is da wurst Cornur evar! Cut hims now!!11!!1

I don't know what game most of you were watching but I saw alot of pressure. Just because you don't get sacks doesn't mean you aren't pressuring the QB. 2 of our picks came from pressuring the QB and the TD pass was bogus due the the mauling of Justin Smith. I don't know how they missed that call.
Sounded like Lawson almost got his 1 sack per game? Good pressure from J. Smith and some from Balmer. If Willis and Haralson had been in we might have gotten a little more pressure. But it does sound like the defense is tightening up and that we are going to get steady pressure with occasional bursts of pressure and sacks.
Originally posted by 49wyztoscore:
I don't know what game most of you were watching but I saw alot of pressure. Just because you don't get sacks doesn't mean you aren't pressuring the QB. 2 of our picks came from pressuring the QB and the TD pass was bogus due the the mauling of Justin Smith. I don't know how they missed that call.

Yes, I agree. However, they still need to show more dominance at LOS which they don't do consistently. Let's put it this way, we need better talent at NT and WILL, period. Haralson and Brooks should have sacked someone by now, IMO especially in preseason head to head. It is not happening even in preseason.

I have said that preseason is where we would see the pass rush if we had it. We don't have it to the point of getting sacks. We get pressure, but the guys can't finish it. Instead, it looks like we just don't have a pass rush because we have no sacks for the preseason. 0 sacks = no pass rush, period...in everyone's else eyes, but Manusky's.

The bottom line is that the QB has too much time to throw more often than not and to me that equates to no pass rush even if we are pickin' off opposing QBs.

We will see next week where our 1st unit D will play a half probably. Well, how many times do you think we will see Romo on his back?

Yea, I thought so...
[ Edited by ninertico on Aug 23, 2009 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by fzrdave:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by wailers15:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Didn't see the game yet...but per MM, the defensive bright spots were Briggs, Brooks, Balmer (the "B" guys), Harris, McKillop, Lawson, Bly and Reggie Smith, although he did give up a long pass play, but made some other good plays. Overall, he said the DL was pretty strong. From what he said, the front 7 was good, the secondary not so much.

Balmer? He didn't do a damn thing!

He's playing NT in a 3-4. Sometimes not noticing him is a good thing.

Btw, I noticed him and he performed very well

Exactly!

haha sometimes i think people expect earth shatterings stats from balmer. anything less and he's a "best." people need to understand that the d-line in a 3-4 defense isnt a place where people stack up awesome stats, they're there to get push and to occupy lineman so the linebackers can do their jobs
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:
they are ready....the offense not so much

Running game looks pretty good. Passing game not so good.
Originally posted by ninertico:

Yes, I agree. However, they still need to show more dominance at LOS which they don't do consistently. Let's put it this way, we need better talent at NT and WILL, period. Haralson and Brooks should have sacked someone by now, IMO especially in preseason head to head. It is not happening even in preseason.

I have said that preseason is where we would see the pass rush if we had it. We don't have it to the point of getting sacks. We get pressure, but the guys can't finish it. Instead, it looks like we just don't have a pass rush because we have no sacks for the preseason. 0 sacks = no pass rush, period...in everyone's else eyes, but Manusky's.

The bottom line is that the QB has too much time to throw more often than not and to me that equates to no pass rush even if we are pickin' off opposing QBs.

We will see next week where our 1st unit D will play a half probably. Well, how many times do you think we will see Romo on his back?

Yea, I thought so...

With Willis and Haralson playing,the defense will be better.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
On that touchdown to Murphy, Justin Smith was being held BIG TIMe by the raider's LT. THe refs didn't catch that.....

Yep I said the same thing when it happened. Nobody else picked up on it.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
On that touchdown to Murphy, Justin Smith was being held BIG TIMe by the raider's LT. THe refs didn't catch that.....

Yep I said the same thing when it happened. Nobody else picked up on it.

There was a lot of fouls not called on that game. There was a late hit out of bounds that was pretty obvious to me, but not called. Didn't make much of a difference though.

Yea, I thought so...

The bottom line is we held the 10th best running attack from last year to squat due to our D-Line penetration and we have 6 picks in 2 preseason games which means we are making the QB make quicker decisions and that is due to QB's feeling pressure. I'm not saying its where I want it to be, I was talking the the fans that talk like its non-existent. I would like to see more pressure and I'm sure it will happen when Willis and Parys get back. We as a team are progressing and we have intensity, something I haven't seen from this team in years.

Yea, I thought so...

You do realize that Haralson played for just a hot minute in the first game and not at all in the second. I watched Haralson against the Broncos and he was in coverage more often than not when he was in the game. And did anyone else notice how sluggish he looked? It had me wondering if his hip injury was bugging him.

Anyway, we need better talent at the SAM spot more than the WILL. Haralson can get after the QB, Lawson......not so much.
The thing that bothers me the most (even more than Orakpo looking good and Crabs watching the game [I hope] from home) is Jason Taylor and Greg Ellis looking good. I mean, both those guys just sat there on the free agent market and we stubbornly (stupidly?) just stuck with what he have. WHY? We would be WAY better off with Lawson, Haralson, Brooks, and Ellis/Taylor as our OLBs. But instead we signed Marques Harris....

Actually, that's a little unfair, because Harris has looked like a decent back up. But I want some starters damnit!
Lawson is a terrible pass rusher. Period. Like someone else posted earlier, his "explosion" off the line is a jog...Wtf? He looks likes hes scared out there, scared to go heads with tackles.... He even tries to juke them? Again, wtf?

He does look good in run support though, and I guess his pass coverage is solid, even though I haven't seen anything extraordinary in that aspect of his game.....
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Yea, I thought so...

You do realize that Haralson played for just a hot minute in the first game and not at all in the second. I watched Haralson against the Broncos and he was in coverage more often than not when he was in the game. And did anyone else notice how sluggish he looked? It had me wondering if his hip injury was bugging him.

Anyway, we need better talent at the SAM spot more than the WILL. Haralson can get after the QB, Lawson......not so much.

Then the mofo better sack in that one hot minute, damn it!! LOL!
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by NickV:
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by NickV:
our rook Briggs was getting some good push. A. Brooks also.

The TD that nate gave up was

It was cover 2, he saw the tight end start coming into his zone so he let the receiver go because the TE was threatening his zone, problem is the safety behind was Roman

That's true.

But given the down and distance he probably should have followed the WR. Even if the TE caught the ball he would have needed 23 yards to get a first down. Someone would have caught him.

Either way that whole play was f**ked up.

Roman needs to go! I can't stand watching the guy play!

this
Share 49ersWebzone