There are 158 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Adam Snyder over Marvel Smith

Wow! People are ragging on a guard who got thrown in at right tackle and cannot fathom that if he actuallyconcentrated on one position that he could master it when we have all out support for Alex Smith who has had a chance to master one position for five years and are excited when he has shown even an intermediate level? Snyder has earned this chance to stick at one spot.
Singletary:

On T Adam Snyder’s training camp:
“Adam Snyder is doing very well. I’m very pleasantly surprised with him. He is making great strides. He is doing a lot of the little things. We are going to leave him in that right tackle position and just let him blossom. What he is doing is basically what he told me he would do given the opportunity to sit there for a while.”

How great is it to have Singletary say he is pleasantly surprised with Snyder and to also have Marvel Smith.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 12, 2009 at 01:41:55 ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think the only year (besides this one) where Snyder actually concentrated at one single position, was in his rookie year.

I've always liked Snyder, I think he did a great job at LT in place of Jennings.

The problem is, they always moved him around, from right to left, from left to right, then last year they threw him in at guard.

He finally has a chance to work through training camp at one position.

He is a very solid player, IMO. Good positioning, good size and strength. The only thing he lacks is the elite quickness of a player like Staley.

I am glad they are finally giving Snyder a chance to be a player rather than a filler.

well said
  • nekst
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Quote:
It appears that Adam Snyder has won the starting job at right tackle over Marvel Smith. "Adam Snyder is doing very well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with him," the head coach said. "We are going to leave him in that right-tackle position and just let him blossom."

The quote from Singletary doesn't say that Snyder has won the starting position. I read it to say that the coaches like the progression Snyder has shown and decided to stop moving him around and let him concentrate on one position. The first part is just conjecture from the writer.

I was just about to post a reply stating this.

Adam Snyder is not the starting RT at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he is eventually named the starter though since he's getting most of the first-team practice reps.

[ Edited by nekst on Aug 12, 2009 at 11:33:33 ]
Originally posted by nekst:
Originally posted by BMore9ersfan:
Quote:
It appears that Adam Snyder has won the starting job at right tackle over Marvel Smith. "Adam Snyder is doing very well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with him," the head coach said. "We are going to leave him in that right-tackle position and just let him blossom."

The quote from Singletary doesn't say that Snyder has won the starting position. I read it to say that the coaches like the progression Snyder has shown and decided to stop moving him around and let him concentrate on one position. The first part is just conjecture from the writer.

I was just about to post a reply stating this.

Adam Snyder is not the starting RT at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he is eventually named the starter though since he's getting most of the first-team practice reps.

Man oh man, if Snyder can really settle in and win the starting RT position, then we are in pretty damn good shape on the offensive line.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Snyder has always been a better tackle than guard. He is close to every member of the OL and will be given every chance to keep the job
--Adam Snyder has taken every snap with the first-team offense at right tackle this summer. Marvel Smith has yet to make his mark, as he bids for the starting job. Said Raye, "(Smith) is being evaluated along with Adam Snyder. I think the rep count is basically pretty close. When we make the decision to give him some more reps with the first unit, it will be from the medical staff that gives us clearance to practice him a little more. If his play to that point dictates that he's deserved or earned the right to get some snaps with the first team, we will do that going forward."

Matt M

So they're being cautious with a guy coming off a back injury and making him earn the right to compete for the job. No starter has been named.
At this point with Snyder taking all first team reps, you can bank on the opening day starter being Snyder.

-9fA
Originally posted by 23zack80:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by krizay:
So much for all the crazy talk of a top 10 Oline. This is just another unit which will trot out the same ole players.

Can't wait to read how great Snyder is all of a sudden!

I tried to tap down expectations of a URFA coming off of 3 back surgeries. Everyone kept saying "he's been to the pro bowl so..." Of course that was before the Steelers cut him. Starting-caliber OT don't grow on trees so a team that cuts one is doing so usually for good reason - especially an organization like Pittsburgh.

If you don't play practice with your new line and learn the offense by the start of preseason, how suddenly will Smith make an impact if he's never gets time to do reps. Demonstrated caution from the 49ers says that either they don't believe he's fully healed or his injuries have limited him and others can do that job. Snyder is OK but I still think pass-protection will be a big problem this season.

My .02

Marvel Smith has only had two back surgeries and teams do cut starting-caliber tackles(Jonas Jennings) if they feel they are an injury-concern. The 49ers got a talented player in Marvel Smith who could be great for us or he could be a complete bust. All I know is he is a better player than Barry Sims, so I'm happy the 49ers took a chance on him even if it doesn't work out.

He's had 2 surgeries and one "procedure" which in essence is a surgery. And I said above:

Starting-caliber OT don't grow on trees so a team that cuts one is doing so usually for good reason -

Injury concern IS a good reason. It doesn't matter how talented he is. If he doesn't play the point is moot. I can have a SVT Cobra in my garage but if I never don't ever drive it what's the point?
71 RT Marvel Smith $1,850,000 $850,000 $1,000,000 2010

Even though he isn't a huge cap number and would be a good backup for the money I could really see him getting cut. While I like the fact of having him as a backup the niner coaches and brass may see it differently.
I think it's Snyders job to lose at this point. Pre-season games will be tell tale.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
At this point with Snyder taking all first team reps, you can bank on the opening day starter being Snyder.

-9fA

I think people are reading way too much into the first few weeks of TC.

They are being cautious with Smith due to his injury history, nothing more. If Snyder can continue to impress, than sure he could start. But I wouldn't "bank" on anything at this point. We haven't even played a single pre-season game yet.
knbr.com he's on right now
It really is Snyders to lose at this point which is a good thing just more competition make the team better and deeper.
Originally posted by Overkill:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

-9fA

I think people are reading way too much into the first few weeks of TC.

They are being cautious with Smith due to his injury history, nothing more. If Snyder can continue to impress, than sure he could start. But I wouldn't "bank" on anything at this point. We haven't even played a single pre-season game yet.

I disagree. There's a reason why Marvel Smith was signed in the 3rd week of Free Agency...

At this point, he's not even taking full time reps with the 2nd team line. He's not even CLOSE to competing with Snyder.

I think his injury is a whole lot worse than was expected.

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Aug 13, 2009 at 4:38 PM ]