LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 234 users in the forums

Adam Snyder over Marvel Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Link

From the Article: It appears that Adam Snyder has won the starting job at right tackle over Marvel Smith. "Adam Snyder is doing very well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with him," the head coach said. "We are going to leave him in that right-tackle position and just let him blossom."

I for one am happy that we're going with a chance at stability (which our line hasn't seen in a while) rather than throwing Smith in there and praying he doesn't get injured. Thoughts?
Hmmm interesting. Either Snyder has really shown up to play this season or Marvel has truly fallen off his game.
let them battle it out in oreseason either way we have a good backup so im ok with whatever happens
in a heartbeat. it was a joke & a mistake when they signed Smith. I couldn't believe that they thought they could get a productive season out of him. My guess is though they signd him to spark Snyder which has worked. But i doubt that was their intentions. Should've went with the rookie. I'm not having allot of faith in Snyder. He will have to prove it on the field in the games. He was pretty brutal last year.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Hmmm interesting. Either Snyder has really shown up to play this season or Marvel has truly fallen off his game.

Marvel is older so it's going to take him a little longer to come back to full strength. Hopefully he gets there and we end up with a starter quality backup.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Good, he is younger and has been with the other guys on the line for a few years. It is a great sign that he is picking up his game. The guy is a great addition to our line, he can move all around and I think it one of the most important guys in the group.
  • crzy
  • Hall of Fame
This is troubling news. Marvel Smith was supposed to be the former pro bowler who was going to solidify our right tackle spot.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crzy:
This is troubling news. Marvel Smith was supposed to be the former pro bowler who was going to solidify our right tackle spot.

From MM :

Quote:
71-Marvel Smith: When he signed with the 49ers, many considered him the presumptive starter at right tackle. But Smith has not risen up to take the job away from Snyder, who has practiced every day. Smith's practices have been limited, and the 49ers are wary about anointing a starter who might be an injury risk. That's a lesson learned after their experience with Jonas Jennings.

Anxious to see how both perform in preseason games.
Good
We haven't really been able to get a handle on Marvel simply because he hasn't practiced much. I don't think that Adam has won the job yet, but it is very nice to see that he is performing well in TC. For once we may have some pretty good depth at the RT spot, I like it.

Does not surprise me. I knew once the 9ers let Snyder play RT and stay at one position he would improve and step up.
I'm Okay if this is the decision that is finally made. Snyder has been the offensive line's b***h and gets move to supplement whoever goes down. I think the consistency they've given him at RT helps him develop a comfort for the position and he truly has a chance to take it from Smith.
Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by crzy:

From MM :

Quote:
71-Marvel Smith: When he signed with the 49ers, many considered him the presumptive starter at right tackle. But Smith has not risen up to take the job away from Snyder, who has practiced every day. Smith's practices have been limited, and the 49ers are wary about anointing a starter who might be an injury risk. That's a lesson learned after their experience with Jonas Jennings.

Anxious to see how both perform in preseason games.

Um.....then why did they sign him?
I've never thought much of Snyder...
Snyder has looked iffy in the past when he played tackle, but maybe he'll become much better if he is just concentrating on tackle rather than the whole offensive line. As for Marvel Smith, his body has had a lot of wear and tear over the years, so I never expected him to be able to do the whole season. So, maybe he'll be best as a backup tackle; that's an important role too.
Share 49ersWebzone