There are 118 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Adam Snyder over Marvel Smith

• krizay
  • Veteran
So much for all the crazy talk of a top 10 Oline. This is just another unit which will trot out the same ole players.

Can't wait to read how great Snyder is all of a sudden!

Originally posted by krizay:
So much for all the crazy talk of a top 10 Oline. This is just another unit which will trot out the same ole players.

By no means do I think he's great but from a stability standpoint I have legitimate interest in him. I'd love for M. Smith to be health and productive though, and if so I want him starting.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Link

From the Article: It appears that Adam Snyder has won the starting job at right tackle over Marvel Smith. "Adam Snyder is doing very well. I'm very pleasantly surprised with him," the head coach said. "We are going to leave him in that right-tackle position and just let him blossom."

I for one am happy that we're going with a chance at stability (which our line hasn't seen in a while) rather than throwing Smith in there and praying he doesn't get injured. Thoughts?

This is not a bad thing...Marvel as a backup means that we can cut Barry Sims, which is definitely preferable to having Sims as backup at RT.

You just can't accept improvement? Or maybe, that we are elated that Snyder finally is placed at ONE spot to succeed?

All of a sudden, things can change, right Krizay? You know, like Davis going off in TC finally catching and doing the things he was picked to do.

All of a sudden, Snyder looks good and more consistent. Great may be coming.

• krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninertico:

You just can't accept improvement? Or maybe, that we are elated that Snyder finally is placed at ONE spot to succeed?

All of a sudden, things can change, right Krizay? You know, like Davis going off in TC finally catching and doing the things he was picked to do.

All of a sudden, Snyder looks good and more consistent. Great may be coming.

I can accept improvement. Unfortunately the 9ers aren't offering it!

I tried to tap down expectations of a URFA coming off of 3 back surgeries. Everyone kept saying "he's been to the pro bowl so..." Of course that was before the Steelers cut him. Starting-caliber OT don't grow on trees so a team that cuts one is doing so usually for good reason - especially an organization like Pittsburgh.

If you don't play practice with your new line and learn the offense by the start of preseason, how suddenly will Smith make an impact if he's never gets time to do reps. Demonstrated caution from the 49ers says that either they don't believe he's fully healed or his injuries have limited him and others can do that job. Snyder is OK but I still think pass-protection will be a big problem this season.

My .02
this probably gives the niners the best chance of succeding if Snyder truly won the job though good practice play. One thing I like is that it gives the niners 5 starters all drafted by the niners led in experiance by the center. If this lineup works then it gives the niners a real solid chance of a few years of having the same starting 5 which I think is huge. Smith would just be a stopgap till the niners drafted a RT which they still could next year too. Would not be suprised at all to see a RT taken with one of the first round picks next year since Snyder is still very valuable as a backup.
Seems like somebody got sold a bill of goods. The understanding, if I have it right, was that Smith was recovered from his back problems and poised for a good year. I seem to recall a statement like " best it's felt in the past couple of years". Of course, that means nothing if you're comparing feeling just bad, compared to excruciating! Oh well, lets' hope Snyder is up to the task.
Wait a second...so they overpaid Smith for what, 2 yrs. $10 mil. w/ either incentives or protection in case he's injured and he's not starting?! It boggles the mind!
x

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:19:59 ]
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Wait a second...so they overpaid Smith for what, 2 yrs. $10 mil. w/ either incentives or protection in case he's injured and he's not starting?! It boggles the mind!

His base salary is only $850,000 for this season, with his total cap number being $1.85 million. Both Adam Snyder and Barry Sims are making more than him this season. I don't think money factors into the equation right now, because I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of that 10 mil is in incentives, most likely based on playing time.
Damn you, Michael Crabtree for falling to us at #10 and conducting your holdout shenanigans!!

We could have drafted a lineman and further solidify RT!

Um, the article says that right now Snyder is winning the battle to start. So it boggles your mind that the team isn't ignoring current (reported) form and starting Smith regardless? Why isn't a report that we may for once perhaps have some depth on the line accepted as good news?
Originally posted by PA9erFaithful:

His base salary is only $850,000 for this season, with his total cap number being $1.85 million. Both Adam Snyder and Barry Sims are making more than him this season. I don't think money factors into the equation right now, because I'm pretty sure that a good chunk of that 10 mil is in incentives, most likely based on playing time.

Whew...that's better. Thanks for the details.

Smith is an upgrade over Jennings and Sims, but I've never been too thrilled at the signing in the first place. Many Steelers fans were glad to see him go from what I've read...kinda like how we felt when Jennings was finally cut.
Originally posted by English:

Um, the article says that right now Snyder is winning the battle to start. So it boggles your mind that the team isn't ignoring current (reported) form and starting Smith regardless? Why isn't a report that we may for once perhaps have some depth on the line accepted as good news?

Because is it really a battle when the competition doesn't practice/play? I think it's great that Snyder looks good - but we know what we have in Snyder as a player. My concern is that we needed to upgrade the RT position - both talent and effectiveness. Jennings > Snyder when healthy. The hope was that Smith would be that upgrade as a starter. Depth is great when you have a legit starter. I think we have no legit start (yet) but a lot of depth.

But - admittedly, I can't say for sure until I see the guys play again.

[ Edited by NinerGM on Aug 11, 2009 at 10:46:59 ]