LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Next OC

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Daniel2778:
stop posting
this
What really grinds my gears is Steve Mariucci underachieved with a great team and got chance after chance. Most of the OCs overachieved with the worst players to work with in the league. These guys shouldnt be any better then 30th overall in the league in yards with there talent. Raiders and Lions are the only teams with less talent on offense but thats debatable.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
What really grinds my gears is Steve Mariucci underachieved with a great team and got chance after chance. Most of the OCs overachieved with the worst players to work with in the league. These guys shouldnt be any better then 30th overall in the league in yards with there talent. Raiders and Lions are the only teams with less talent on offense but thats debatable.

When was Mariucci our OC, and what does any of this have to do with our next OC?
Some people agree wiith what Im saying so Im not that off. obviously we are all niner fans and Im allowed to think it was stupid to fire Martz and hire this guy

Yes, and I'm allowed to think that it was stupid to hire Martz in the first place, much less keep him around for a second year. Round hole, square peg. We didn't have a big-armed QB and high-end talent at the WR spots to do well under him. Nor did we have an o-line that could hold blocks for 12 seconds while Martz's damn plays developed (who does?).

I think Raye is a solid, but not spectacular hire. I believe the logic was that we'd hire Raye, and establish the fundamentals of his offense. Once it begins to mature, one of the assistants take over, whether it be a QB coach or Rathman, or whoever...for continuity.
When i was reading about how they did a fake reverse that went to a shovel pass i was like "WHOA, i wish i could have seen that: because i never seen that before. pretty creative.

Mcnabb loves to run the shovel pass when he is down by the goaline and usually has success.

So i think this is good. and why are we still bringing up Martz, the man who literally would forget about our best offensive weapon in Gore. did not seem like a genius to me.
Originally posted by showtime49:
Some people agree wiith what Im saying so Im not that off. obviously we are all niner fans and Im allowed to think it was stupid to fire Martz and hire this guy

Yes, and I'm allowed to think that it was stupid to hire Martz in the first place, much less keep him around for a second year. Round hole, square peg. We didn't have a big-armed QB and high-end talent at the WR spots to do well under him. Nor did we have an o-line that could hold blocks for 12 seconds while Martz's damn plays developed (who does?).

I think Raye is a solid, but not spectacular hire. I believe the logic was that we'd hire Raye, and establish the fundamentals of his offense. Once it begins to mature, one of the assistants take over, whether it be a QB coach or Rathman, or whoever...for continuity.

Can I just say . . . f**k martz . . . but thanks for bringing in your boy JTO to try and save Nolan's arse . . . sorry it didn't pan out but . . .

Given the way the QB competetion went down last August I don't think there's any way Smith and Hill could have successfully worked with Mad Mike.
Gore was off and hurt last year so could you imagine a run based offense? Robinson or Foster would have been a featured player? What a joke!We needed Martz last year. And my comparison of Mariucci was to say before coaches were giving a long leash. Now these coaches are supposed to make miracles and Martz did it.
  • TOP_CAT
  • Info N/A
And Martz also lost 2 games for us singlehandedly,because he wasn't keeping up with what was going on ,on the field,while he was thinking on the sidelines.
And if you noticed,the offense looked a great deal better when Sing brought the hammer down on Martz and told him to change QB's and do it Sings way.

And what team rushed out to sign Martz after Sing showed him the door? If you said none,zero,nada 0,zippo,you got it correct.
I was a big proponent of bringing in Martz. I had to admit I was very very wrong. He did some things very well but overall he sucked .
Gore was only hurt for the last 4 games. missed 3 completely and played a little bit in the Finale. I would say 3/4 of a season is enough time to build a RUN BASED OFFENSE.
Noob post of the day!

Gore was off and hurt last year so could you imagine a run based offense? Robinson or Foster would have been a featured player? What a joke!We needed Martz last year. And my comparison of Mariucci was to say before coaches were giving a long leash. Now these coaches are supposed to make miracles and Martz did it.

Where exactly was this powerful, unstoppable offense that we had last year, all because of Martz? We couldn't even punch it in from the goal line. (you remember that game in Arizona that knocked us out of the playoffs, right? )

Martz brought something to the table that we didn't have. I won't deny that. But he left a lot in the closet, as well. His shortcomings are exactly why he was let go in St Louis and Detroit.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for Adman.
I will admit that I was a little pissed at the firing of Martz at first because I felt the offense was playing pretty well at the end of the season under the Sing controlled Martz offense and I felt that they could have had some continuity going into this season if they kept Martz.

However, after accepting what has transpired, and hearing about how good the offense has looked so early in camp I think Raye's system is going to be a perfect fit for our personnel. What Wolfpac doesn't know is that Tony Gonzalez's best seasons were under Raye's offensive play calls.

I just don'y see why some people choose to think so negatively....and don't give me that "oh i'm a realist...i'm only thinking realisticly" crap. Cuz there is nothing to make you believe at this point that Raye and Singletary are going to fail.
  • Adman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Adman:
I will admit that I was a little pissed at the firing of Martz at first because I felt the offense was playing pretty well at the end of the season under the Sing controlled Martz offense and I felt that they could have had some continuity going into this season if they kept Martz.

However, after accepting what has transpired, and hearing about how good the offense has looked so early in camp I think Raye's system is going to be a perfect fit for our personnel. What Wolfpac doesn't know is that Tony Gonzalez's best seasons were under Raye's offensive play calls.

I just don't see why some people choose to think so negatively....and don't give me that "oh i'm a realist...i'm only thinking realisticly" crap. Cuz there is nothing to make you believe at this point that Raye and Singletary are going to fail.
Yeah our personal wasn't built for the Hi Risk Hi Reward type offense. I Remember when Scotty Mac was like " We are not interested in Martz" but then Nolan goes off and hires him. We didn't have the offensive line to support the system. But it's great Nolan hired him because Martz was instrumental in us sucking those first 7 games and eventually ended in Nolan's Demise. ( if i had an evil laugh, i would use it now.)

[ Edited by aacadena on Aug 4, 2009 at 20:05:49 ]
can I just say I am extremely happy VD is going to be more than mostly a blocker under Raye's regime... getting him rolling and living up to his potential may be enough for him to keep his job (as long as there are W's involved)

plus he is apparently looking awesome in camp which gives me hope

GO NINERS!
Share 49ersWebzone