The Media is Creating an Anti-Crabtree Climate

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
f**k Florio

and all his negative ass posts.

God I hate Mike Florio.

He is on the list with Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, and Michael Clayton (I just want to punch that guy in the face)

why? Florio is one of the few actual sports journalists around. hes got a goofy side sure but in terms of journalism his list of accomplishments is pretty impressive aside from the "Terry Bradshaw incident". He was the one of the first to bring Vick's brutal crimes forward. He was the one who pushed hard on the Burress case. First few to break and give attention to Big Ben sexual harrasment case. i men other major news outlets had to give it attention.

hell he called out the major news outlets for skipping on many many issues. hes called out tons of players specially the dumbasses around the league (Favre, Ocho Cinco, TO, Vick). He brings attention to stuff like just how shockingly common it is for NFL players to get in trouble with the law wit his "Arrest counter". The max was 28 days without an arrest past two years BTW.

Guy is great. opinionated abit but a real good sports jornalist.

His site was great in the beginning. But over time, imo, its gotten kind of worse.

He just post random twitter s**t, like "ocho cinco vs mark shcelerth" and once in a while reports hard issues (when they come up) like you said.
The board is slowing losing its' collective mind. Everyone is looking for the Boogeyman, the evil villain in this play. The problem....there is no evil character, this is simply a contract negotiation.

Florio is not creating a problem, and neither is the collective media. Crabtree is the face of the Rookie Class of 2009 in the NFL. Of course, he is going to draw the most attention.

99.9% of football fans couldn't identify what Tyson Jackson looks like, his jersey number, and many couldn't even tell you what position he played. On the flip side, nearly every football fan could easily identify Crabtree in a lineup.

Which makes my case even stronger regarding compensation for Crabtree. He is EASILY the most high profile player still unsigned. As a high-profile player, at a high-impact position, who saw his slide in the draft only happen due to not participating in 40-yard sprints, and private workouts, his agent has a strong case that his situation is unique and he should be compensated differently.

P.S. I have corresponded with Mike Florio for years now through e-mails, and I can tell you firsthand, as I have before, that he likes the Niners. He has family members who are fans of the team. Sorry, Mike if you are reading this post....

He has been critical of this organization as any journalist should be in the last five years. This piece of crap, that we affectionately refer to as the 49ers, needs to turn things around, or we'll continue to be laughed at around the league. The signs look good, but journalists are not going to run puff pieces until we do something we haven't done in a long time....win games.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Aug 4, 2009 at 13:07:00 ]
f**k Florio

God I hate Mike Florio.

He is on the list with Skip Bayless, Jim Rome, and Michael Clayton (I just want to punch that guy in the face)

why? Florio is one of the few actual sports journalists around. hes got a goofy side sure but in terms of journalism his list of accomplishments is pretty impressive aside from the "Terry Bradshaw incident". He was the one of the first to bring Vick's brutal crimes forward. He was the one who pushed hard on the Burress case. First few to break and give attention to Big Ben sexual harrasment case. i men other major news outlets had to give it attention.

hell he called out the major news outlets for skipping on many many issues. hes called out tons of players specially the dumbasses around the league (Favre, Ocho Cinco, TO, Vick). He brings attention to stuff like just how shockingly common it is for NFL players to get in trouble with the law wit his "Arrest counter". The max was 28 days without an arrest past two years BTW.

His site was great in the beginning. But over time, imo, its gotten kind of worse.

He just post random twitter s**t, like "ocho cinco vs mark shcelerth" and once in a while reports hard issues (when they come up) like you said.

Totally agree with this. He posts too much twitter crap.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I wonder if Crabtree is fully healed from his surgery? Or is he thinking - well I would be limited in practice anyway, I might as well do a tough negotiation and use that time to let my foot heal a bit more.
Ah, in due time we will see the rookie receiver, signed for the league minimum, his agent working at In 'n Out Burger at the potato machine, streaking down the field under a perfect lofty pass thrown by Smith after nine straight nice runs up the middle by Gore to set it up.

The 9ers win 10-3 after coach Sing screams at the team at half-time for allowing the Pats to kick a 59-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

Well, it could happen if only the evil media would let it.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The board is slowing losing its' collective mind. Everyone is looking for the Boogeyman, the evil villain in this play. The problem....there is no evil character, this is simply a contract negotiation.

Florio is not creating a problem, and neither is the collective media. Crabtree is the face of the Rookie Class of 2009 in the NFL. Of course, he is going to draw the most attention.

99.9% of football fans couldn't identify what Tyson Jackson looks like, his jersey number, and many couldn't even tell you what position he played. On the flip side, nearly every football fan could easily identify Crabtree in a lineup.

Which makes my case even stronger regarding compensation for Crabtree. He is EASILY the most high profile player still undrafted. As a high-profile player, at a high-impact position, who saw his slide in the draft only happen due to not participating in 40-yard sprints, and private workouts, his agent has a strong case that his situation is unique and he should be compensated differently.

P.S. I have corresponded with Mike Florio for years now through e-mails, and I can tell you firsthand, as I have before, that he likes the Niners. He has family members who are fans of the team. Sorry, Mike if you are reading this post....

He has been critical of this organization as any journalist should be in the last five years. This piece of crap, that we affectionately refer to as the 49ers, needs to turn things around, or we'll continue to be laughed at around the league. The signs look good, but journalists are not going to run puff pieces until we do something we haven't done in a long time....win games.

Tsk.

This board doesn't have a "collective mind." (What's that mean, anyway?)

There is no Boogeyman. (You knew.)

The villain in the Crabtree contract negotiations is, obviously, Eugene Parker, the agent, since we don't want to blame Crabtree himself, or the Front Office.

Speaking of Crabtree, he was drafted, at the #10 spot, by the Niners. I thought you knew. (Sorry dude, I know you meant to type "unsigned" and accidentally typed "undrafted," but you know how bitingly sarcastic we like to be here on Niner Talk. Blame it on the collective mind.)

And please don't refer to the 49ers as "a piece of crap," if you don't mind.

Yes, I know we've had some very bad years recently, but we here on Niner Talk object to that kind of terminology being applied to the team.

Even when led by some very incompetent HCs and GMs, the team still had guys working hard to do their best. They don't deserve that sort of disdain or that sort of debasing label. If you were a fan of some other team, those would be fighting words.

The Boogeyman and the collective mind of NT also object, I'm told.

Now you know, and your apology for the use of such distasteful language in regard to the team is accepted, in advance.

(Really, for the guy who came up with such gems as "The Mike Nolan Classic" when referring to the Senior Bowl, and "fool's gold" when referring to Vernon Davis, stooping to the use of scatology when referring to the team, or to Ahmad Brooks, only makes you look bad. Way below your standards and abilities, IMHO.)

Looking forward to your next post.
As always people blame the messenger, Crabtree is creating and anti-Crabtree climate and no one else is to blame. The media is not holding out, Crabtree is, the media can not end this only Crabtree can, if there is any blowback on this it should be rightfully aimed at Crabtree!

The Niners should offer him a little more than he deserves based on were he was picked, say top seven money Crabtree should shut up and take it, it is a honer and a privilege to play in the NFL.

The longer he holds out the more pressure he will put on himself to preform, making it harder to do so. If he happily and humbly took the money slotted to him and showed up to camp, there would be less pressure on him, he is only raising expectations!

So don't blame the messenger for the bad news that Crabtree is greedy, except the fact that he is greedy, most people are. Lets hope he can live up to his expectations, under the pressure he he is adding to himself.
f**k Florio

God I hate Mike Florio.

He talks about anything related to football. I keep saying the guy is opinionated but his journalism is top notch. thats my point. Regarding our team he hasnt said a single thing that most posters here have said. "team sux", "Alex is a bust", "Crabtree is a diva" "TO is a wackjob."
the media

It irritates me when people cry about the medias influence on the general public. If the public wasn't raised to be a bunch of sheep then they'd learn how to think for themselves.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Which makes my case even stronger regarding compensation for Crabtree. He is EASILY the most high profile player still undrafted. As a high-profile player, at a high-impact position, who saw his slide in the draft only happen due to not participating in 40-yard sprints, and private workouts, his agent has a strong case that his situation is unique and he should be compensated differently.

Tsk.

The villain in the Crabtree contract negotiations is, obviously, Eugene Parker, the agent, since we don't want to blame Crabtree himself, or the Front Office.

Speaking of Crabtree, he was drafted, at the #10 spot, by the Niners. I thought you knew. (Sorry dude, I know you meant to type "unsigned" and accidentally typed "undrafted," but you know how bitingly sarcastic we like to be here on Niner Talk. Blame it on the collective mind.)

Yes, I know we've had some very bad years recently, but we here on Niner Talk object to that kind of terminology being applied to the team.

Even when led by some very incompetent HCs and GMs, the team still had guys working hard to do their best. They don't deserve that sort of disdain or that sort of debasing label. If you were a fan of some other team, those would be fighting words.

Now you know, and your apology for the use of such distasteful language in regard to the team is accepted, in advance.

(Really, for the guy who came up with such gems as "The Mike Nolan Classic" when referring to the Senior Bowl, and "fool's gold" when referring to Vernon Davis, stooping to the use of scatology when referring to the team, or to Ahmad Brooks, only makes you look bad. Way below your standards and abilities, IMHO.)

I like "undrafted" better, but for your sake, I changed it. Party pooper!

Talking about poop, sorry about the "piece of crap" phrase in discussing this franchise since Steve Mariucci was kicked to the curb almost seven years ago. How about a "piece of poop"? "Feces"? "Excrement"? It is tough to spin it another way, but give me more time. I've got a few more vocabulary words tucked away.

I guess I am relegated to the term "collective mind" since there are about five or six sane people still on the board (maybe the masses are in hiding...If you are, please feel free to join the conversation). The vast majority who are typing something on this matter fell off the boat a long time ago, were dropped by their mother, were bitten by a large-fanged canine.....you are reading some of this insanity, right?

P.S. Once Nolan left, he stole all of my magical terms. I have since reverted to the vocabulary of a 4th grader. However, I will try to regain my form. Poop...Out...Solipsology...In. Basic training began yesterday by reading the CBA. Light, fluffy reading.

Cheers.

Crabtree not signing is creating an Anti-Crabtree climate!
f**k Florio

God I hate Mike Florio.

He talks about anything related to football. I keep saying the guy is opinionated but his journalism is top notch. thats my point. Regarding our team he hasnt said a single thing that most posters here have said. "team sux", "Alex is a bust", "Crabtree is a diva" "TO is a wackjob."

Actually, Florio pretty much cites Crabtree's "diva tendencies" every time he writes about him.
Try to put aside your personal feelings about how much Crabtree should make and just look at logically:

The guy is reportedly asking for top 5 money when he was drafted at #10, which only adds to the prima donna label he developed (rightly or wrongly) prior to the draft .

And he's chosen to do so in an offseason where things like the CBA and possible changes to rookie contracts were hot topics.

So of course he's going to be a lightening rod for the media. Right now he is the embodiment of what many see as some of the bigger issues facing the NFL. That's why they are concentrated on Crabtree's contract more than anyone else's. The guy is just stuck in a perfect storm of factors. Its not the media's fault he came along when he did and its not his fault they are so focused on him.

There really isn't a good or bad side here, either. Its just business. This is just part of his job, afterall. Or at least it will be when he signs.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
f**k Florio

God I hate Mike Florio.

Actually, Florio pretty much cites Crabtree's "diva tendencies" every time he writes about him.

i meant to say "he hasnt said a single thing most posters on this board havent said already." hey nick btw member after 06 u made that sick vid that pumped us up for 07?..yehi know a part of me died in 07. but what happened with the vids? not making them anymore?
Originally posted by oldninerdude:

Tsk.

I like "undrafted" better, but for your sake, I changed it. Party pooper!

Talking about poop, sorry about the "piece of crap" phrase in discussing this franchise since Steve Mariucci was kicked to the curb almost seven years ago. How about a "piece of poop"? "Feces"? "Excrement"? It is tough to spin it another way, but give me more time. I've got a few more vocabulary words tucked away.

I guess I am relegated to the term "collective mind" since there are about five or six sane people still on the board (maybe the masses are in hiding...If you are, please feel free to join the conversation). The vast majority who are typing something on this matter fell off the boat a long time ago, were dropped by their mother, were bitten by a large-fanged canine.....you are reading some of this insanity, right?

P.S. Once Nolan left, he stole all of my magical terms. I have since reverted to the vocabulary of a 4th grader. However, I will try to regain my form. Poop...Out...Solipsology...In. Basic training began yesterday by reading the CBA. Light, fluffy reading.

Cheers.

True, there are some who are way overstressing about the Crabtree contract situation.

I would be very surprised if Crabtree himself was not more than a little stressed.

Aside from the money he could lose by holding out for the year, money he'll never see or make up for, he's also putting himself further and further behind the other WRs on the team. Some of those guys appear to be taking advantage of the increased number of reps they're getting.

I'm thinking he'll blink first.

If it took giving up a part of your vocabulary to get rid of Nolan, then it was well worth it. IMHO.

No one should have to read a document like the CBA voluntarily. I'm guessing its some sort of cosmic punishment. You have my sympathy.

[ Edited by oldninerdude on Aug 4, 2009 at 16:41:17 ]
Share 49ersWebzone