LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 251 users in the forums

The Media is Creating an Anti-Crabtree Climate

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just thought I'd share a quick observation regarding Michael Crabtree and his contract stalemate.

LINK-AGE

Currently (as of the night of August 3), there are ELEVEN 2009 first-round picks still not signed. They include players like Tyson Jackson, Aaron Curry, Jeremy Maclin, and our boy Michael Crabtree.

But which player have you read all the contract-issue stories about? Of course, our boy Michael Crabtree. We can mostly thank Pro Football Talk for that, as they seem to have chosen Crabs as their current punching bag of the moment (I guess they didn't feel like Jeremy Maclin was as easy a target).

Now there is no doubt some logic behind all this attention Crabs is getting... Crabs fell to the 49ers at #10, and he was expected to go much earlier in the draft. There is intrigue to see how his contract will affect the players around him and the money they will receive.

However, PFT and the mainstream media seems to be ignoring the rest of these other "holdouts." To assume Crabtree is affecting ALL of the remaining 11 unsigned rookies is kind of a stretch.

I only bring this up because people on this site are getting upset that Crabs hasn't signed. Sure, the dude wants more money than he probably should get at #10... but how is the Webzone getting angry about the situation going to change anything?

Mike Singletary has shown an extreme amount of poise with this whole situation. He has made his opinion known about the Crabtree contract issue... and he doesn't really care. When the contract gets done, it gets done. With Singletary not letting the situation be a problem for him and the franchise, it continues to remain a non-issue. We as fans should do the same.

So all I'm saying is we should follow Singletary's lead. Why let this upset us? It does absolutely no good to get angry about an issue we don't have a lot of information on and that we have no control over. People on this board are blaming Crabs, the agent, the 49ers... we have no idea what is REALLY going on except that both parties involved are looking out for their best interests.

So when Crabs gets to camp, he gets to camp, and we should all just try to ignore PFT's constant negative attention to what has so far amounted to a guy just missing a few practices.

Let's all just be patient, root for Josh Morgan getting an increased amount of reps, and welcome Crabtree when he finally joins the team. Getting angry with the guy isn't going to help anyone. Go Niners.

(Removed)

[ Edited by NickSh49 on Aug 6, 2009 at 22:39:49 ]
I liked this post. completely agree....

But the Alex Smith statement at the end makes you sound really stupid. You sound like your his mom or something, telling us to be nice to her son....
  • dmatt
  • Veteran
no, crabtree or his agent are creating an anti-crabtree climate. Most of these other guys are unsigned because their agents are afraid crabtree breaks the bank and makes them look stupid.

[ Edited by dmatt on Aug 3, 2009 at 22:03:43 ]
f**k Florio

and all his negative ass posts.
Like another poster said "Leave Michael Aloooonnne!"

hahaha

Agree 100%, broham.

It's just the ugly part of the business. When it's done, we'll be some of the happiest fans in the NFL.

Here's to both Alex and Michael having an incredible season!
agreed.

love how you snuck that last thing with Alex in there.

newsflash: he was dismal way before his BFF off'd himself bro, sorry.

Originally posted by billybonka:
agreed.

Lol i agree one hundered percent.

I don't get the little smiley thing though lol...
agreed.

Billy, I think you and I are destined to have a love/hate relationship like I had with NolanHasAPlan before he was banned. Take care buddy.
You can take Maclin off the list, he has agreed to 5 years, $15.5 million ($9.5M guaranteed)

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d810d9ec2&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Now every receiver in the first round is in camp but our boy. I think it's Crabtree that's creating the anti-Crabtree climate not the media. Maybe he should fire his agent.
  • WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A
If he holds out, and they've offered a fair amount, Crabtree's creating an anti-Crabtree climate. He needs to get his dandy self in here and show why he should play.

Originally posted by NickSh49:
agreed.

Billy, I think you and I are destined to have a love/hate relationship like I had with NolanHasAPlan before he was banned. Take care buddy.
let them say what they want, who cares
agreed.

its just that you act like you're Smith's personal internet bodyguard....read to defend him anytime someone criticizes the #1 pick who has done nothing in his career.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
agreed.

its just that you act like you're Smith's personal internet bodyguard....read to defend him anytime someone criticizes the #1 pick who has done nothing in his career.

I am not going down that road with you... but funny how the entire post was about Crabs, but you and Billy have chosen to just focus on the one line about Alex Smith.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
agreed.

he took us to 7-9 season, how dare you

Share 49ersWebzone