There are 126 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which 49er-Sleeper Will Surprise Us Most At Camp?

Which 49er-Sleeper Will Surprise Us Most At Camp?

Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I thought Reggie Smith got moved officially to safety?

Um, kind of? Yes? Possibly?

The dude is an enigma. He was supposed to be a baller for us.

That's why you don't draft a cornerback and try to make him a free safety/strong safety. It doesn't work all that often. Can someone please name players that have come out of college as a cornerback and played safety in the NFL?

hmm ronnie?
Originally posted by ruthless49er:
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I thought Reggie Smith got moved officially to safety?

Um, kind of? Yes? Possibly?

The dude is an enigma. He was supposed to be a baller for us.

That's why you don't draft a cornerback and try to make him a free safety/strong safety. It doesn't work all that often. Can someone please name players that have come out of college as a cornerback and played safety in the NFL?

hmm ronnie?


And anelias williams, jason sehorn, rod woodson, etc. But see these guys all played in the nfl first at cb!
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Arnaz Battle

lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,379
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
I thought Reggie Smith got moved officially to safety?

Um, kind of? Yes? Possibly?

The dude is an enigma. He was supposed to be a baller for us.

That's why you don't draft a cornerback and try to make him a free safety/strong safety. It doesn't work all that often. Can someone please name players that have come out of college as a cornerback and played safety in the NFL?

Reggie Smith started at SS (20 starts) and CB (16 starts) in college, so it makes sense.
Keep an eye out for Jacob Bender. He's the forgotten man on this offensive line, but will probably have the upper hand over Alex Boone, who has been massively overrated by the board. Bender is not going to start, but has a solid chance of making the 53 man roster.

I know this will lead many to run for the nearest bridge, but don't count out Barry Sims from making this team. If he took care of himself this offseason, and re-committed himself to become a better player, he will have a good chance of making the 53 man roster.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Jul 31, 2009 at 05:39:52 ]
Morgan.
I sure hope Balmer has a good year and shows that talent he has
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Keep an eye out for Jacob Bender. He's the forgotten man on this offensive line, but will probably have the upper hand over Alex Boone, who has been massively overrated by the board. Bender is not going to start, but has a solid chance of making the 53 man roster.

I know this will lead many to run for the nearest bridge, but don't count out Barry Sims from making this team. If he took care of himself this offseason, and re-committed himself to become a better player, he will have a good chance of making the 53 man roster.

MD, I've seen you reference Bender before. What is your source of information about him? Have you seen him play and have been impressed? Is it his college career? How good do you see him? Decent backup, or maybe capable starter on the right side?
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by rapid4:
Boone and Ricky JF

These guys are supposed to be making noise... being rookies and all the spotlight is on them more.

They guys above are vets we haven't talked about much this summer (save for Balmer). It'd be interesting if any of them emerged into playmakers... tho we should hope B-Jones is worth a s**t for the money we are paying him.

Boone will make a lot of noise once he gets a few beers in him
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by rapid4:
Boone and Ricky JF

These guys are supposed to be making noise... being rookies and all the spotlight is on them more.

They guys above are vets we haven't talked about much this summer (save for Balmer). It'd be interesting if any of them emerged into playmakers... tho we should hope B-Jones is worth a s**t for the money we are paying him.

UDFA and late round pick are supposed to be in the spotlight?
RJF will surprise everybody!!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Balmer should be. "Should be" in the sense that he was SUPPOSED to be something good, you know, being selected in the 1st round and all..

Don't see how Balmer can be considered a sleeper. Boone, maybe. Or Ziegler
I picked REggie Smith cause we need him to step up now that Harris is out for the year.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Keep an eye out for Jacob Bender. He's the forgotten man on this offensive line, but will probably have the upper hand over Alex Boone, who has been massively overrated by the board. Bender is not going to start, but has a solid chance of making the 53 man roster.

I know this will lead many to run for the nearest bridge, but don't count out Barry Sims from making this team. If he took care of himself this offseason, and re-committed himself to become a better player, he will have a good chance of making the 53 man roster.

MD, I've seen you reference Bender before. What is your source of information about him? Have you seen him play and have been impressed? Is it his college career? How good do you see him? Decent backup, or maybe capable starter on the right side?

Bender came from a small school, Nicholls State, and was drafted by the Jets in 2007. He was released by the Jets, and the Pats signed him. They put him on the practice squad until the end of last year, when the Niners grabbed him. I don't think many people know that he replaced Jonas Jennings on the team, and was part of the 53 man roster in 2008.

At 6'6", 315 pounds, he's got good size. Just a bit raw, but has all the tools. He's backup material.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Keep an eye out for Jacob Bender. He's the forgotten man on this offensive line, but will probably have the upper hand over Alex Boone, who has been massively overrated by the board. Bender is not going to start, but has a solid chance of making the 53 man roster.

I know this will lead many to run for the nearest bridge, but don't count out Barry Sims from making this team. If he took care of himself this offseason, and re-committed himself to become a better player, he will have a good chance of making the 53 man roster.

Hes forgotten because he sucks....IMO
Not saying your wrong, I hope I am.