LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 143 users in the forums

Does anybody believe that our pass rush is any better?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Any better than what?

One guy (Haralson) on the whole team who every now and then can pressure an/or sack the Q.B.

We have one freak'en player who shows any type of pass rush skill in Haralson.

Playoff caliber defenses have legit consistant Pass Rushers.... the 9ers clearly don't fit in that catagory so they have to depend on luck, and luck will only take you so far.

Charles Haley... last great 9ers Pass Rush Beast and superbowls followed him whichever team he played on.

Furthermore; good 3-4 teams have pass rushers at both OLB spots. Either one should be a threat to get after the QB.
I would also include Smith as a legit pass rusher, but he is easily negated by constant double teams.

Balmer ate up some double teams during the Raider game. If he can consistantly require a double team then he is exactly what the DLine needs.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
If our pass rush can accomplish 8 interceptions every three games through out the season that would be great. Reading oldman9ers assessments of the game it would appear that we get some pressure but not consistently. But we have gotten enough pressure to give us 8 interceptions so something has gone right.

I personally would like the Ravens defense but we are not likely to get that. So if we get more interceptions than sacks I will be happy.

I have predicted that Lawson would get 7-10 sacks this year. That means less than one sack per game on average. I think Haralson will get 10+ sacks this season that means less than one sack per game. Justin Smith I think will get somewhere between 7-10 sacks this season. Again, that is less than one sack per game. But that is 24-30 sacks this season between the three of them. I would like 30 sacks this season between these three. Then there should be another 10+ sacks for all of the other players, Balmer 3-5, Sopoaga 1-3; Franklin 1-3; Willis 3-5; Spikes 3-5; Brooks 5; Goldson 3-5; Clements 3-5, etc. So I would see the whole team getting 40+ sacks. But if the interceptions stay high through out the season I will take a high interception rate and medium sack rate.

I want to see steady pressure and production - high interceptions, high fumbles, medium to high sacks, low yards, low scores, low 3rd downs.[/quote]

This is what killed during the Cowgirls game. The damn defense couldn't get off the field and the offense didn't help them out any by keeping them off the field
Yes, our defense is going to morph into the Steelers, right after they all find a phone booth to go into.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
hell to the no
Originally posted by Brazilian49er:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
I think the pass rush coach was an old SIngletary buddie from the Bears.

He is one of Singletary's best friends. If you watch the 49er yearbook video, Al Harris is on the field last season as a guest of Singletary. I think Sing did feel Al Harris could help this team but I bet u to he wanted to have a good friend around.

BTW, where can i get this year's yearbook? I love those, but I can find the new one.

I watched it on ESPN 2, two weeks ago. It was very well done IMO.

Okay, thanks. They'l probably show up at TenYards sooner or later. And they are always well done. It's always funny how they can make the worst team in football look like a Super Bowl contender.

It's on TenYards! For those who want it, here's the link to the post (you'll have to register: LINK
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by BigMar:
Any better than what? One guy (Haralson) on the whole team who every now and then can pressure an/or sack the Q.B. We have one freak'en player who shows any type of pass rush skill in Haralson. Playoff caliber defenses have legit consistant Pass Rushers.... the 9ers clearly don't fit in that catagory so they have to depend on luck, and luck will only take you so far. Charles Haley... last great 9ers Pass Rush Beast and superbowls followed him whichever team he played on.
Furthermore; good 3-4 teams have pass rushers at both OLB spots. Either one should be a threat to get after the QB. I would also include Smith as a legit pass rusher, but he is easily negated by constant double teams.
Balmer ate up some double teams during the Raider game. If he can consistantly require a double team then he is exactly what the DLine needs.

yea but it doesnt matter if he doesnt play because soap is parked in front of him.

i liked what i saw from balmer so far in preseason. hes gotten a few double teams, hes deflected 2 or 3 passes, he needs to play imo. and i am sick of soap, the guy looks like tarzan plays like jane. he is invisible out there, usually gets pushed back by just one olineman.
NOT YET.
I believe that we are gonna have to blitz like crazy all season to keep pressure on opposing quarterbacks. I wouldn't mind seeing us blitz like the Steelers or the Eagles! We may not have the talent they have, but at least we could get some results!
Balmer is the key, I was really impressed with what I saw from him in the Dallas game, seemed like he was constantly shooting through and had a great motor. If he breaks out and starts commanding double teams opposite Smith, it won't matter if Manny has pass rush skills or not, he only has to run straight to the QB and dodge a running back.

Yeah, rewatching that Cowboys game, it was interesting to hear Singletary refer to our defense as being "vanilla." LOL. It was also interesting to hear that Manusky would rather have more INT's then sacks. I think both are merely stating the type of defense we have. Again, we don't have a dominant NT who can push the C/G back into the QB's face on a regular basis. We only have one DE that commands double teams. While Haralson benefitted from solid coverage in the secondary, teams now have tape of him and he's going to play every down. Lawson is still overrunning plays, misreading them and has never had anything more then quickness that can help him get consistent pressure. Scheme is another major issue as we not only ARE vanilla (talent-wise) but so too is our scheme. This means that we rarely use the ILB's & safety & CB positions to blitz and rely on the OLB's to do this on the LOS from predictable positions. Lawson and Haralson WILL wear down. Keep that in mind. So are Harris/Brooks better then B.Moore/R.Green? TBC & J.Moore? B/c trust me, we're going to need them. This is going to be another year where QB's will have all day to sit back and scan the field and pick apart our conservative secondary.

I am encouraged that this preseason I did see more ILB blitzes esp. with Spikes, more CB blitzes and Goldson always appears to be in the right spots which is encouraging. I've seen some great play by Bly & Brown so that should help Clements out quite a bit. I'm not sold on Michael Lewis again esp. now that he's older and has two concussions and he's really nothing more then a one-dimensional player. I'd like to see Smith get a crack there at some point during the season.

Again, next year, we need to set a premium of obtaining that dominant NT, LDE, proven pass rushing OLB's & RT...basically, the same problems we've had for the past six+ years now. And equally important, Manusky needs to learn how to run a proper 3-4. The Cowboys certainly didn't hold back or play vanilla against us all the way through the 4th quarter. A 3-4 rushes, disguises blitzes, practices them, perfects them and dictates the offense. We don't do ANY of these things. Don't buy into, "We're playing vanilla. We don't want to show our hand"-theory. If you watch any other 3-4 defense, they are clearly practicing their blitzing schemes, adding new wrinkles, etc. - perhaps not the whole game but they certainly aren't holding back completely and are winning most of the 1-on-1's.

So to answer your question, I could actually see us being worse this year. We have a chance for being a little better then 30 sacks (barring injury) but again, most of these will be coverage sacks and few, if any, will have any real impact during a game IMHO.
Has anyone seen our pass rush this year?
It SUCKS!!!!!! Or is close to non-existent!
Where's Waldo?
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Has anyone seen our pass rush this year?

Yes, on a milk carton in Safeway.

If anyone watched the Dallas game, there were a few plays where Romo had
at least 5 to 8 seconds with no one near him. On one, he had so much time I think
it through his timing off and he missed his receiver badly.

Hey, maybe that could be our new ploy. We could call it the "un-rush".
Share 49ersWebzone