There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What Can We Expect from Jimmy Raye's Offense?

Quote:
While Raye's offense promises to be much more basic than Martz's version, with primary emphasis being placed on the ground game, daily team observers so far this offseason have been surprised by its creativity, with the passing game so far looking sharper than the running attack.

RB Frank Gore is the focus?
Originally posted by PTulini:
Quote:
While Raye's offense promises to be much more basic than Martz's version, with primary emphasis being placed on the ground game, daily team observers so far this offseason have been surprised by its creativity, with the passing game so far looking sharper than the running attack.

RB Frank Gore is the focus?

Apparently, according to the tone of the article, we can expect quite alot, and much of it from Gore.

This is one of the most intriguing questions, to me, for the preseason: how will Raye do as a playcaller. What we've seen and heard so far has been good--a surprising emphasis on the pass, unexpected creativity, a disciplined approach.

But none of that shows us how Raye will do as a playcaller. How he will set up the opposing defenses, how he will use the increased number of weapons the offense has, how he will perform under pressure.

Fourth and less than a yard, down by 3, at the other team's 35 and less than three minutes to go in the game. What's he gonna call? Will he gamble?

This should really be fun to watch.
My honest hope is that Raye can be to the 49ers offense what Jim Johnson has been to the Eagles defense.

Two guys, who are great assistants and prefer it to stay that way, that are good on their own side of the ball and are allowed the stability to let it materialize. I think Raye could really get thru to these young guys because of A) the respect and authority Singletary has given him and B) the fact that the man has been around in the NFL longer than most of them have been alive...so in many ways you have no choice but to respect what he is telling you.

It could have a lot of perks but I predict a little bumpiness to start, though not very long.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
My honest hope is that Raye can be to the 49ers offense what Jim Johnson has been to the Eagles defense.

Two guys, who are great assistants and prefer it to stay that way, that are good on their own side of the ball and are allowed the stability to let it materialize. I think Raye could really get thru to these young guys because of A) the respect and authority Singletary has given him and B) the fact that the man has been around in the NFL longer than most of them have been alive...so in many ways you have no choice but to respect what he is telling you.

It could have a lot of perks but I predict a little bumpiness to start, though not very long.

This would be great. I can't wait to see this offense in action this season
  • NinersCluebat
  • Info N/A
I have not been on the Jimmy Raye bandwagon and I do not expect to see much from him, BUT reading this and other reports I have a little hope and as a Niner fan I have to give it a wait and see appproach to Ray and even to Singletary.
Here's hoping that the Niners bust out and shock people around the NFL.
With Rathman on board I expect a strong running game. His RB's were top ten in 5 out of 6 years in SF (97-02), including #1 twice. He turned James Jones into a 1000 yd back in Detroit in 04 and helped improve the Oakland attack from 29th in 06 to top 10 in 07 and 08.

So I think the smashmouth vision will become a reality and give Raye the ability to dial up the running game at will.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
With Rathman on board I expect a strong running game. His RB's were top ten in 5 out of 6 years in SF (97-02), including #1 twice. He turned James Jones into a 1000 yd back in Detroit in 04 and helped improve the Oakland attack from 29th in 06 to top 10 in 07 and 08.

So I think the smashmouth vision will become a reality and give Raye the ability to dial up the running game at will.

Also, don't forget the success Jimmy Raye had with Thomas Jones at the NY Jets. Didn't Jones lead the AFC in rushing last season?

[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 26, 2009 at 16:58:37 ]
Lets hope he's kicked the sleeping at team meetings habit.

Hopefully 1st downs....

-9fA
That he will wear a bucket hat
1. I want to believe we'll be successful

2. Whoever their source is, PFW is notoriously out to lunch on the Niners...

3. I think we'll get a real good idea of the basic offense in the pre-season games
  • wshaheen321
  • Info N/A
Lots of play action and short passes to TEs.
Originally posted by wshaheen321:
Lots of play action and short passes to TEs.

Yes, someone finally wakes up and uses Vernon as an offensive weapon, not just a blocker.
Fewer turnovers.

I hope.
his "air rayes"