LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 249 users in the forums

The San Francisco Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hey, I can't stand the Cowboys. I've been going to games since the 50's and the Cowboys are the only team I've seen in the NFL that made Niner fans cry leaving the stadium.
Some of you guys are a funny bunch...

First off, it's just a comparison, albeit the Cowgirls... Our team has changed dramatically from the old days to the behemoth linemen that is now the rage in the NFL. It is what it is and as for the style of the offense, Singletary has been noted to say that this WILL BE A POWER RUNNING TEAM (ala Cowboys of the 90's)...

Don't get all mad because the writer compared us to "some of the best team" the NFL has ever seen. Consider it a compliment....

Originally posted by kidash98:

First off, it's just a comparison, albeit the Cowgirls... Our team has changed dramatically from the old days to the behemoth linemen that is now the rage in the NFL. It is what it is and as for the style of the offense, Singletary has been noted to say that this WILL BE A POWER RUNNING TEAM (ala Cowboys of the 90's)...

Don't get all mad because the writer compared us to "some of the best team" the NFL has ever seen. Consider it a compliment....

Bingo. If this current team has half the success that that hated Cowboy team had, I'll be very happy.
  • Chief
  • Veteran
The article was like your basic Niner talk thread.

Some bored goober with nothing better to do writing about the 49ers.

We are not the ANY YEAR Cowboys! We are the f**king 2009 San Francisco 49ers! No imitations baby!

Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Bingo. If this current team has half the success that that hated Cowboy team had, I'll be very happy.

oh, and for the record, F*CK THE COWBOYS!!!

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A

And please keep in mind that just because Walsh's system worked in the 80's doesn't mean it would work as well today.

He was very disturbed when visiting a Marriucci-run practice because he recognized that the new coach was running some of his plays just as he did without any changes. Strategy was and is in a constant state of flux depending on personnel, the rules, the trends, etc.

I'm not so sure about that.

I confess I don't know a lot about football, but it seems to me the key virtue of the WCO --at least under BW, was it's flexibility, multi-front attack, and acute preparedness.
so, the WCO is as much a philosophy as it is a scheme.

I wish we had stuck with it under mccarthy. from what i've read, we my be seeing more of a WCO but with a digit system terminology.
I don't think anyone runs the WCO as it was run in the 80's anymore.
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
This article makes me sick. Never should anyone compare our team to the hated cowboys.

If your going to post something like this have a source to go with it.......... u swear we can read your mind on what u know already!!!
You act like we know what you're talking about.

the last of the desciple "retired" last year (Holmgren). Shanahan, when the coach of the Broncos, expanded on the WCO and included the shotgun formation along with the rest of the formations under the WCO.

You're right that no team run a WCO the way it was ran in the 80's but there are still teams using thephilosophy: Green Bay (under McCarthy), variations of the Eagles offense is based on WCO (Reid), variations of Seahawks offense (even under Mora) and variations of the Bucks (under Gruden) to name a few....

Sadly, the defensive schemes adapted to the WCO and are now able to combat it thus resulting in newer schemes being the new ins, nowadays ("power running" style ala Parcell)...

i almost threw up when i read the title. i thought maybe the cowboys bought our new stadium so they could change the scenery a little mid season when they get bored with their new stadium, kicked us out and took a collective piss on candlestick park. i was wrong. still a horrible article
Hey, I can't stand the Cowboys. I've been going to games since the 50's and the Cowboys are the only team I've seen in the NFL that made Niner fans cry leaving the stadium.

MAN HOW OLD ARE YOU??
Originally posted by ocjohnknee:

MAN HOW OLD ARE YOU??

• WestCoastNut
  • Info N/A

the last of the desciple "retired" last year (Holmgren). Shanahan, when the coach of the Broncos, expanded on the WCO and included the shotgun formation along with the rest of the formations under the WCO.

You're right that no team run a WCO the way it was ran in the 80's but there are still teams using thephilosophy: Green Bay (under McCarthy), variations of the Eagles offense is based on WCO (Reid), variations of Seahawks offense (even under Mora) and variations of the Bucks (under Gruden) to name a few....

Sadly, the defensive schemes adapted to the WCO and are now able to combat it thus resulting in newer schemes being the new ins, nowadays ("power running" style ala Parcell)...

I don't think we are going back or should go back to 80's WCO. I would, however, like to see us return to the following WCO-like behavior:

• -- Run the short passing game again at will (so far, Hill can do this but Smith doesn't have in his repetoir),
  • -- Move-the-chains running in the second half (Gore, Coffee, Morgan, and O'line improvements can make this a reality)
  • -- Big YAC receptions (crabtree's and davis' strength),
  • -- Blow your mind occasional long ball strikes (especially on short yardage plays--crabtree, morgan, bruce, and hill are a real threat).
  • -- Occasional knock-you-off-the-couch gimic play, like JR on reverses (Rossum showed us something, but it's a dead giveaway when he's on offense).

Digit system low percentage bombing runs with a predictable running game are fine if you can impose your will--otherwise, those three and outs are death-by-a-thousand-cuts. Boring!

I loved it when every eligible receiver was a likely threat, and defenses didn't know where they would get hit next. I'm excited to see us return to this kind of game, but now it would be finesse with power.

Like Ali--float like a butterfly, sting like a bee!

[ Edited by WestCoastNut on Jul 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone