LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

The San Francisco Cowboys

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Blasphemy.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

I agree with that. It was most of the comparasions of players is what threw me off. But after re reading teh article what you said is basically what i got out of it. I think folks hate the cowboys so much that they didn't really read it.

Yeah that purty much sums it up. I think that even though I hate the cowturds and have tremendous 9er love, my reasoning as an NFL fan is open enough to read what someone has to offer while suspending judgement until I'm finished digesting the article.

So all that said I think that it showed some obvious comparisons. What was missing however was their TE comparisons. Who on our team reminds this guy of their talented TEs' and why? Because w/o them I sincerely doubt that Dallas would have gone as deep into 3 post seasons as they did. Not saying that they were the main reason but solid downfield blocking and their ability to own the middle of the field allowed Smith and Irvin to do what they do. Not to take anything away from their accomplishments. That and Moose?

I wouldn'tve presumed to compare the two teams but it was a better than average argument at least. And I do not like Lynch.

~Ceadder
  • NinersPC
  • Info N/A
Its putting "San Francisco" with "Cowboys" side by side that bothers me...for the shock value I guess.
  • gresham49erfan
  • Info N/A
That was the dumdest article I've read in long time!!
lets burn a cross on his lawn
The player by player comparison was a joke.
Hahhahahah rofl...

Beginning of short article:

What a brilliant history - the Super Bowl championships, the Hall of Fame players, the unforgettable moments and this 2009 edition of the San Francisco 49ers wants to emulate it all. But it's not their own history the current crew wants to replicate - it's the Dallas Cowboys of early the 1990's that the 49ers want to become.

then a quote from a reader on the article

"Does this mean Michael Crabtree will start snorting coke to emulate Michael Irvin?"
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Hahhahahah rofl...

Beginning of short article:

What a brilliant history - the Super Bowl championships, the Hall of Fame players, the unforgettable moments and this 2009 edition of the San Francisco 49ers wants to emulate it all. But it's not their own history the current crew wants to replicate - it's the Dallas Cowboys of early the 1990's that the 49ers want to become.

then a quote from a reader on the article

"Does this mean Michael Crabtree will start snorting coke to emulate Michael Irvin?"

NO. Singletary runs this team whereas Jimmy Johnson ran that team. I'm guessing this team will display better character. But, I still say the comparison between Crabtree and Irvin is a good one - long, strong arms, fearless across the middle, short passes turning into long gains through YAC, same body type, etc. I couldn't stand him when we had to play him, but if Crabtree is as productive as Michael Irvin, I'll be very pleased.
Will Crabtree get away with the push-offs that Irvin did?
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Will Crabtree get away with the push-offs that Irvin did?

If he's as good as Irvin was at it, maybe.

Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I guess I don't understand why there is so much anger at the comparison. Raye's system is admittedly similar to Norv Turner. The line they're building is big and bruising and uses a very similar blocking scheme. Frank Gore IS a very similar runner in that he hits the holes hard, but has moves to make DB's whiff on the tackles. They'll use the blocking back just like the Cowboys did. I think Michael Irvin is the best comparison for Crabtree.

I've always thought they were trying to build an early to mid 90's Cowboys-like offense and a early 00's Ravens-like setup for the defense. I can't stand the Cowboys either, just like most long-time Niner fans, but let's be honest - that early to mid-90's Cowboys team was a great team.

I agree with that. It was most of the comparasions of players is what threw me off. But after re reading teh article what you said is basically what i got out of it. I think folks hate the cowboys so much that they didn't really read it.

Yeah that purty much sums it up. I think that even though I hate the cowturds and have tremendous 9er love, my reasoning as an NFL fan is open enough to read what someone has to offer while suspending judgement until I'm finished digesting the article.

So all that said I think that it showed some obvious comparisons. What was missing however was their TE comparisons. Who on our team reminds this guy of their talented TEs' and why? Because w/o them I sincerely doubt that Dallas would have gone as deep into 3 post seasons as they did. Not saying that they were the main reason but solid downfield blocking and their ability to own the middle of the field allowed Smith and Irvin to do what they do. Not to take anything away from their accomplishments. That and Moose?

I wouldn'tve presumed to compare the two teams but it was a better than average argument at least. And I do not like Lynch.

~Ceadder

True good point bout the TE's. Novachek opened up the field for the Wr's and he was a decent blocker in the run, and pass game. And yea the argument was very credible imo. the comparisons were a lttle off to me but I see exactly what the writer is trying to say.
This may open up a torrent of hate, but Vernon Davis could be Novachec-like for this team. If Davis can find the open area like Jay was able to do, he could be even better because that YAC has got to be better.
Originally posted by footballfreak49:
lets burn a cross on his lawn

No!
Ya gotta burn a capital T in the yard so they know your serious!

Ha ha south park is f**kin nuts!
This may open up a torrent of hate, but Vernon Davis could be Novachec-like for this team. If Davis can find the open area like Jay was able to do, he could be even better because that YAC has got to be better.

If V. Davis can learn how to catch a ball, then yes.... Maybe.

Share 49ersWebzone