There are 107 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Gore and Coffee: The San Francisco 49ers NEW Dynamic Duo!

The 49ers new dynamic duo! We could have the makings of something special here... In my opinion, they appear to be the same style of running back. (By the way, check out the last Glen Coffee video.)













RB Glen Coffee
Quote:
In 35 games (17 starts) for the Crimson Tide, gained 2,107 yds. on 410 carries with 14 TDs, and 42 catches for 351 yds. with 2 TDs receiving. In his final season at Alabama, the All-SEC selection and Doak Walker Award semi-finalist rushed for 1,383 rushing yds and 10 TDs. His rushing yds. tied Shaun Alexander as the 2nd-best total in school history, while his 5.9 yds. per carry in 2008 ranked 6th all-time. In 2007, played in 9 games (3 starts) and rushed for 545 yds. and 4 TDs, and had 18 catches for 118 yds. and a TD. Granted a medical redshirt in 2006 after recording 179 rushing yds. and 91 receiving yds. as a true freshman.

PERSONAL:
• Shared Alabama’s 2008 Derrick Thomas Community Service Award with Cory Reamer.
• Attended Fort Walton Beach HS, where he had 1,886 rushing yds. and 350 receiving yds. with 29 TDs as a senior, on his way to leading his prep squad to the District 2-4A title and an appearance in the regional championship game.
• Majored in general studies.



[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 6, 2009 at 8:17 AM ]
  • NinerLunatic
  • Info N/A
Both Gore and Coffee's running styles are somewhat similar. They're hard nosed lower the shoulder and plow type of guys. I feel like if Sheets makes the squad it will be a nice change of pace. Nice pics BTW


~NinerLunatic
love it! Go 49ers!
Actually, one of the things I really like about Gore is that he can do both - he can lower his shoulder and bring it to the tackler, but he's also got a fantastic jump-spin move and can fake a db out of his shoes.

Coffee seems like an awesome young runner, but we'll have to wait and see if his punishing style is as punishing in the NFL as it was in college.
I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced Coffee's style of running will work in the NFL. He runs standing straight up, doesn't have any jukes and isn't that big for his running style, kind of like Michael Robinson. I'm sure he has a ton of heart, but everyone in the NFL is big, fast and can tackle. It will be a lot diffrent than trying to run through scrubs in college even if he did come out of a confrence known for defense.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced Coffee's style of running will work in the NFL. He runs standing straight up, doesn't have any jukes and isn't that big for his running style, kind of like Michael Robinson. I'm sure he has a ton of heart, but everyone in the NFL is big, fast and can tackle. It will be a lot diffrent than trying to run through scrubs in college even if he did come out of a confrence known for defense.

Sometimes players who run "standing straight up" do very well in the NFL because of vision. Eric Dickerson, who tore up the league running in Raye's offense, ran straight up as well.
Not only is Glen Coffee a physical runner, but he catches the ball well out of the backfield.
[ Edited by PTulini on Jul 6, 2009 at 12:15 PM ]
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced Coffee's style of running will work in the NFL. He runs standing straight up, doesn't have any jukes and isn't that big for his running style, kind of like Michael Robinson. I'm sure he has a ton of heart, but everyone in the NFL is big, fast and can tackle. It will be a lot diffrent than trying to run through scrubs in college even if he did come out of a confrence known for defense.

Sometimes players who run "standing straight up" do very well in the NFL because of vision. Eric Dickerson, who tore up the league running in Raye's offense, ran straight up as well.

I dont disagree and you can probably even add Ricky Waters to that list, but the key word in your statement is "vision". In every clip I see of Coffee he is trying to run over guys rather than around them and the only big plays I see in his highlight reels are of him running through gapping holes.
  • nivek
  • Info N/A
People like to point out Coffee's upright running style, and saying it wouldn't work in the NFL. As if it's unheard of. Minor

My problem is with his "hard-nose" style. I don't think he's big enough. I hear they want him to put on a few pounds, but we'll see.

But what I did notice in this guy is his foot work. His feet move so fast. Very quick. It'll translate well.

Every rookie has to make some adjustments to his game.

If his upright running is a negative, I think his quickness and ability to read the blocks(evident in film) will make up for it.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Not only only is Glen Coffee a physical runner, but he catches the ball well out of the backfield.

that is a huge positive
NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA...BAAACK-FIELD!!!!!!!
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced Coffee's style of running will work in the NFL. He runs standing straight up, doesn't have any jukes and isn't that big for his running style, kind of like Michael Robinson. I'm sure he has a ton of heart, but everyone in the NFL is big, fast and can tackle. It will be a lot diffrent than trying to run through scrubs in college even if he did come out of a confrence known for defense.

Sometimes players who run "standing straight up" do very well in the NFL because of vision. Eric Dickerson, who tore up the league running in Raye's offense, ran straight up as well.

Don't forget about A. Peterson. He runs the same way, and has gotten criticized for it since he came into the league. He seems like he's doing okay to me. I think the only knock on that style of runner is that it leaves them open to injury, but being on the field in general does that, so who cares.
Originally posted by nivek:
People like to point out Coffee's upright running style, and saying it wouldn't work in the NFL. As if it's unheard of. Minor

My problem is with his "hard-nose" style. I don't think he's big enough. I hear they want him to put on a few pounds, but we'll see.

But what I did notice in this guy is his foot work. His feet move so fast. Very quick. It'll translate well.

Every rookie has to make some adjustments to his game.

If his upright running is a negative, I think his quickness and ability to read the blocks(evident in film) will make up for it.

Yeah, from his highlights films, I have rarely seen him really run a guy over. If I were to compare him to anyone, it would be Terrel Davis. Davis was a one-cut and take off runner who would never really run a guy over but would rarely lose yards after contact.

Gore is more of a prober with better balance and a better bounce. Coffee just seems to wait for that one cut and he's off with a nice balance on contact.
So my understanding is that most of you don't care about Glen Coffee? Most of you seem to think he can't get the job done.