There are 255 users in the forums

Gore and Coffee: The San Francisco 49ers NEW Dynamic Duo!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9erThrowBack
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Joecool:

The way I look at it is that Coffee will hit a hole as hard as he can trying to make contact first with the incoming ILB rather than trying to escape and run into his own OL or FB where sometimes there just isn't enough room. Reminds me of Barlow.

I would rather the RB keep moving forward even if it means taking on the LB head on, but the fact is this kid can flat out hit with violence. This will only keep pounding on the D while Gore rests.

I understand and agree with the point that more hits mean more wear, of course it does.

I just like the fact that we have two very hard-nosed, violent runners. It makes for a better tandem especially in the fourth.

I agree on how he hits the holes. I just don't think he should do this:

Sees a open hole and the ILB about to fill the hole. He actually steps towards the LB and puts his head down and tries to bowl the guy over rather than putting his head down and slightly turns his shoulders just before contact to slip the tackle and gain an extra yard.

It was just that in some of those highlights, he could have made a cut on a perusing FS, gained more yards but he actually steps into the FS or tackler and the run stops there.

I don't want another Derrek Loville.
Let's wait and see what Rathman can teach him.
I love his running style. Its like a mix of Gore and Tiki Barber.

[ Edited by DANADA on Jul 8, 2009 at 8:19 PM ]
  • GlennCoffee
  • Info N/A
1st post

lifetime bama fan....recent 49er fan (since the 2009 draft).

i've said the day he announced and was predicted to go 3rd-4th rd that glenn coffee would be the steal of the draft. franchise player in 3-4 years depending on when he gets the opportunity. sure i may be a little biased but......every great back has that one thing they do better than the rest. barry sanders could cut on a dime etc....not sure how much film you've seen on him but the thing he does better than anyone i've ever seen and why i think he'll be great is his ability to get the last few yards when parallel to the ground. its uncanny. i forget which game it was but he once was going for the TD 5 yds out and was going down and lunged with his feet and mid flight used his hand to push off the get an extra 2-3 yds for the TD. do not underestimated GC. hes the real deal
i see success and lucrative folgers endorsements in his future.
to be honest i am more interested in seeing sheets run than coffee. and coffee is style of running bothers me; he runs straight up up leaving him vulnerable. sure, he can lower his pad level but he is still too high up. sheets also has that speed that we need.

Originally posted by 4everfaithful24:
to be honest i am more interested in seeing sheets run than coffee. and coffee is style of running bothers me; he runs straight up up leaving him vulnerable. sure, he can lower his pad level but he is still too high up. sheets also has that speed that we need.

roger craig, eric dickerson and adrian peterson run straight up too and they got the job done. if the guy can get the job done i dont care how he runs. i think of all the rookies im most excited to see what he can do this year. i dont expect much from crabtree until next year. rookie receivers, especially ones who hold out and dont practice are not expected to do much their first year
i agree with you man. there have been some good backs that have gotten away with that style of running, but im still more interested in sheets.
i agree with you man. there have been some good backs that have gotten away with that style of running, but im still more interested in sheets.

im curious about sheets too. Gore Coffee Sheets and even Clayton. i want to see how the latter two guys compete in the preseason. ive liked what ive seen from clayton the last few years but for some reason the coaching staff always cuts him.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

im curious about sheets too. Gore Coffee Sheets and even Clayton. i want to see how the latter two guys compete in the preseason. ive liked what ive seen from clayton the last few years but for some reason the coaching staff always cuts him.

i don't think that it's just our coaching staff who isn't high on him either..

-9fA

Wassup with Donald Duck?
We gonna scald you with hot COFFEE, then GORE you, wrap your body in Kmart SHEETS and bury you somewhere in CLAYTON
Originally posted by NinerLunatic:
Both Gore and Coffee's running styles are somewhat similar. They're hard nosed lower the shoulder and plow type of guys. I feel like if Sheets makes the squad it will be a nice change of pace. Nice pics BTW

~NinerLunatic

I agree, we could have our own version of EWnF, but w/ Gore getting a good chunk of the carries (something I would still want). Have the rooks split backup duties. Maybe use Sheets' speed in longer situation where he can come out of the backfield and catch the ball w/ some space where he'll tear it up and w/ Gore and Coffee knockin heads all day he might be seeing some tired ds. And of course Glenn "Sugar with My" Coffee can pound away at the defense during 3rd and short situations late in the game and soften em up for Gore. Hopefully at least one of them will be able to step up and be a legit backup for Gore, lord knows he needs it. I have not felt comfortable w/ any of the backups that Gore had. MRob, imo, was the closest we had but he just drops it to much.
Originally posted by DeltaBoy:
love it! Go 49ers!

Originally posted by wysiwyg:
We gonna scald you with hot COFFEE, then GORE you, wrap your body in Kmart SHEETS and bury you somewhere in CLAYTON

Haha...good one.
Share 49ersWebzone