LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 274 users in the forums

Gore and Coffee: The San Francisco 49ers NEW Dynamic Duo!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Coffee has Lawson legs!!!
WTF !! I made that video of frank gore and that b*****d stole it !!! it was deleted off youtube a few years ago due to copyright !!!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited by YuNGaCE on Jul 7, 2009 at 4:25 PM ]
Frank and Beans Baby!
  • soao
  • Veteran
I actually think Coffee resembles Roger Craig more than he does Gore. He doesn't have the high knee action of RC but he is upright. I'm like several posters that wonders how much success a 210 pounder can have with that style of running in the NFL. He does seem to have a knack for the seem and positive yards. I think he'll do OK if he hangs on to the ball. Not elite like Frank, but good.
Originally posted by soao:
I actually think Coffee resembles Roger Craig more than he does Gore. He doesn't have the high knee action of RC but he is upright. I'm like several posters that wonders how much success a 210 pounder can have with that style of running in the NFL. He does seem to have a knack for the seem and positive yards. I think he'll do OK if he hangs on to the ball. Not elite like Frank, but good.

how do u know he wont be elite? 31 teams passed on gore twice and he became elite. theres nothing wrong with running upright. craig did it, ricky watters did it, dickerson did it, adrian peterson did it. and all of those guys were great runningbacks. he'll do just fine. i cant wait to see him put pads on and go to work
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I love the enthusiasm, but I'm not convinced Coffee's style of running will work in the NFL. He runs standing straight up, doesn't have any jukes and isn't that big for his running style, kind of like Michael Robinson. I'm sure he has a ton of heart, but everyone in the NFL is big, fast and can tackle. It will be a lot diffrent than trying to run through scrubs in college even if he did come out of a confrence known for defense.

Sometimes players who run "standing straight up" do very well in the NFL because of vision. Eric Dickerson, who tore up the league running in Raye's offense, ran straight up as well.

I dont disagree and you can probably even add Ricky Waters to that list, but the key word in your statement is "vision". In every clip I see of Coffee he is trying to run over guys rather than around them and the only big plays I see in his highlight reels are of him running through gapping holes.

Eddie George also comes to mind. I like the way he holds the ball high and tight. Should be no fumbling issues with him.
Originally posted by PTulini:
So my understanding is that most of you don't care about Glen Coffee? Most of you seem to think he can't get the job done.

I do, I'm pretty sure we Mr. Gore finally has the help he's never had, I mean remember Gore's rookie year when he spelled Barlow, Gore was so fresh he ran like wildfire, imagine what Gore is gonna do this year gettin 300 carries wit someone legit to spell him, I call Coffee, Frank Gore Jr.
As an Alabama fan for awhile now watching them last year Glenn Coffee was the heart of that offense while the Oline was the soul. If you watched Bama football you would just wait and sit back and expect Coffee to break a long one during a game. It was like he never failed. He is a straight up downhill runner and he is a RB I think will get better in the NFL. Coffee just needs to work on his catching (he is not a bad receiver but he needs to step it up in the NFL). Watching Coffee run is like when he runs you get that since he is trying to prove something. He doesnt have breakaway speed but as long as he gets past the line and makes that one LB miss (like he does alot) then Coffee is gone. He might get run down bc he is not the elite speed category type runner. That reminds me alot of what Frank does. I expect to hear good things from him this year.
Good Morning......MTC...

Coffee resembles the "Singletary" brand of running...powerful, forceful, run between the tackles, and punish tacklers while finishing the run. From all the small snippets of film I have seen, he just barrels over defenses. IMO, he resembles Frank in the way he runs. I love this because of what it means to our offense in the fourth quarter.

The fourth quarter is where we want to run the point home. Run, run, run will be the mantra of this team in the fourth. Of course, that will only be if we are in the lead or close to it. I believe that most underestimate the impact that Coffee will have on this offense. He will immediately continue where Gore left off without skipping a beat or changing the scheme...he will blast into players while Gore takes a breather. Then it's Gore again. That D will be punished while the OL gets their jollies knocking off their man especially Mr. Pancake City...yea, we are watching Chilo!

Smash and dash? Is that what peeps wanted? Well, that's only when Sheets comes in on possible third downs will that saying hold true. We are and will be a smash and smash team period, the essence of Singletary! The OL will love this kind of play because the onus will be on them to clear a small hole at least for these two to plow through.

So why the big debbie downers on Coffee? Did we want a Chris Johnson instead? I believe we got the scat back in Sheets at a much cheaper price especially given his limited touches. IMO, Coffee is an excellent pick in the third...oh, another 3rd round back for McC...nice. We have some excellent running weapons.

My favorite part in this whole thing is that the running game will open up the passing game. I can't wait to see a huge dose of Gore and Coffee and then a nice play-action pass to freeze the safeties to free VD or Crabtree(slot) for an open first or better yet, a TD! Audibles will become customary especially as the season wears on and the QBs have a better grasp with more experience in the offense. I like this very much.

Whew...I love caffine! Well, Coffee is just that...the wake me up when Gore comes out.

I will have another cup please!

Go 49ers!
He does seem to have that punish-the-tackler kind of style. That's not going to scare players in the NFL, but it might wear them down.

Id love for coffee to be a 3rd rd steal like gore was. Hell yeah the 1-2 punch that would give us would be sick!
Originally posted by PTulini:
So my understanding is that most of you don't care about Glen Coffee? Most of you seem to think he can't get the job done.

I think most Niners fans are cautiously optimistic about Coffee. Coffee is the perfect example of the new "don't tell me, show me" kind of players that are on this squad. Most Niners fans had other RB's like Rashad Jennings, Shonn Green, and Andre Brown on their wish list while Coffee's name never surfaced. Just like Shaun Alexander before him, there are questions about his upright running style and his lack of size or "breakaway" speed.

All that being said.............he performed very well in a tough conference and also made an impression in OTA's/mini camps. If he continues to impress when the pads go on, then you will see more excitement about Coffee.
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Am I the only one who really hasn't seen Coffee actually roll over guys consistently? I just like the fact that he gains yards after contact.

No, I noticed that too. It's not that he's bowling guys over and continuing the run. It's mainly that he just punishes the heck out of the tackler.
This is Gores team. i hope coffee only comes in a few plays a game,

GORE
[ Edited by valrod33 on Jul 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone