There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by B650:
Anyway, game managers belong on teams with great offensive and defensive lines. When you can't pressure the QB and can't protect the QB, you need someone with superior talent at that position.

I agree with you completely.

However, Alex Smith does not have superior talent.

And therefore, Shaun Hill should start.

But he's a step closer to that. I mean, if we had playmakers all over the place and all Shaun had to do was throw a duck to them, we'd be fine. But we don't. Morgan doesn't seem to be getting open as much as I thought he would, and we have a bunch of WRs who are basically the same. Bruce forgot how to catch. Davis can't run the right route. Crabtree missed training camp. We need someone who has a cannon and can rifle in passes when the WRs are barely open. But like I said, it isn't Hill's fault completely, so I think he should be able to start for at least the next couple of weeks. If he keeps playing like he's been playing, don't you agree that we need a change, at least to try to provide some sort of spark?

one of the main complaints about Alex is his touch and accuracy.....and if you're happy we have a #1 WR in Crabtree....well, there is a higher chance of him getting hurt with Alex back there......

even during the preseason game he threw a pass over the middle, high and away and almost got someone killed...who was that Morgan, Davis, Bruce...?

Trust me I would LOVE if Alex was to turn into like Matt Ryan....but for every Matt Ryan there is a David Carr, Joay Harrington, etc.....and so far Alex seems to fall in that area....where as Nate Davis, although against 2nd/3rd stringers......he still showed touch and accuracy on his passes.....

so for now, with this Oline, we need Shaun back there...if we still want to make the playoffs.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Oct 14, 2009 at 01:34:13 ]
We're 3-2 with Shaun Hill. (shouldve been 4-1 (minnesota game))

Until Hill starts doing HORRIBLE and we possibly continue at 3-9 or something, Hill is our guy.

Alex Smith sucks. Period.

[ Edited by bigmike55 on Oct 14, 2009 at 01:39:01 ]
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by B650:
Anyway, game managers belong on teams with great offensive and defensive lines. When you can't pressure the QB and can't protect the QB, you need someone with superior talent at that position.

I agree with you completely.

However, Alex Smith does not have superior talent.

And therefore, Shaun Hill should start.

But he's a step closer to that. I mean, if we had playmakers all over the place and all Shaun had to do was throw a duck to them, we'd be fine. But we don't. Morgan doesn't seem to be getting open as much as I thought he would, and we have a bunch of WRs who are basically the same. Bruce forgot how to catch. Davis can't run the right route. Crabtree missed training camp. We need someone who has a cannon and can rifle in passes when the WRs are barely open. But like I said, it isn't Hill's fault completely, so I think he should be able to start for at least the next couple of weeks. If he keeps playing like he's been playing, don't you agree that we need a change, at least to try to provide some sort of spark?

one of the main complaints about Alex is his touch and accuracy.....and if you're happy we have a #1 WR in Crabtree....well, there is a higher chance of him getting hurt with Alex back there......

even during the preseason game he threw a pass over the middle, high and away and almost got someone killed...who was that Morgan, Davis, Bruce...?

Trust me I would LOVE if Alex was to turn into like Matt Ryan....but for every Matt Ryan there is a David Carr, Joay Harrington, etc.....and so far Alex seems to fall in that area....where as Nate Davis, although against 2nd/3rd stringers......he still showed touch and accuracy on his passes.....

so for now, with this Oline, we need Shaun back there...if we still want to make the playoffs.

I'd prefer Nate Davis actually, but I know that isn't very likely this year.
A new QB in 2010. They both suck.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by B650:
Anyway, game managers belong on teams with great offensive and defensive lines. When you can't pressure the QB and can't protect the QB, you need someone with superior talent at that position.

I agree with you completely.

However, Alex Smith does not have superior talent.

And therefore, Shaun Hill should start.

But he's a step closer to that. I mean, if we had playmakers all over the place and all Shaun had to do was throw a duck to them, we'd be fine. But we don't. Morgan doesn't seem to be getting open as much as I thought he would, and we have a bunch of WRs who are basically the same. Bruce forgot how to catch. Davis can't run the right route. Crabtree missed training camp. We need someone who has a cannon and can rifle in passes when the WRs are barely open. But like I said, it isn't Hill's fault completely, so I think he should be able to start for at least the next couple of weeks. If he keeps playing like he's been playing, don't you agree that we need a change, at least to try to provide some sort of spark?

one of the main complaints about Alex is his touch and accuracy.....and if you're happy we have a #1 WR in Crabtree....well, there is a higher chance of him getting hurt with Alex back there......

even during the preseason game he threw a pass over the middle, high and away and almost got someone killed...who was that Morgan, Davis, Bruce...?

Trust me I would LOVE if Alex was to turn into like Matt Ryan....but for every Matt Ryan there is a David Carr, Joay Harrington, etc.....and so far Alex seems to fall in that area....where as Nate Davis, although against 2nd/3rd stringers......he still showed touch and accuracy on his passes.....

so for now, with this Oline, we need Shaun back there...if we still want to make the playoffs.
Preseason aside Smith has always thrown the ball at the head of his receivers, occasionally he'll throw it a little over but he rarely makes them jump for it so for people to watch a single preseason game and parrot what the announcers said about him is a little dissapointing. In the past this method of delivering the football got him in trouble only because the Niners didn't have receivers capable of catching the football outside of Frank Gore and Eric Johnson so when a receiver wasn't able to get their hands on the football or had the football slip through their hands it was intercepted. It's sad because people who just look at his stats claim he has no accuracy when to the contrary he has an ass ton of accuracy, he's just never had receivers that could catch with their hands.
  • B650
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,205
Originally posted by Mospeed:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by crzy:
Originally posted by B650:
Anyway, game managers belong on teams with great offensive and defensive lines. When you can't pressure the QB and can't protect the QB, you need someone with superior talent at that position.

I agree with you completely.

However, Alex Smith does not have superior talent.

And therefore, Shaun Hill should start.

But he's a step closer to that. I mean, if we had playmakers all over the place and all Shaun had to do was throw a duck to them, we'd be fine. But we don't. Morgan doesn't seem to be getting open as much as I thought he would, and we have a bunch of WRs who are basically the same. Bruce forgot how to catch. Davis can't run the right route. Crabtree missed training camp. We need someone who has a cannon and can rifle in passes when the WRs are barely open. But like I said, it isn't Hill's fault completely, so I think he should be able to start for at least the next couple of weeks. If he keeps playing like he's been playing, don't you agree that we need a change, at least to try to provide some sort of spark?

one of the main complaints about Alex is his touch and accuracy.....and if you're happy we have a #1 WR in Crabtree....well, there is a higher chance of him getting hurt with Alex back there......

even during the preseason game he threw a pass over the middle, high and away and almost got someone killed...who was that Morgan, Davis, Bruce...?

Trust me I would LOVE if Alex was to turn into like Matt Ryan....but for every Matt Ryan there is a David Carr, Joay Harrington, etc.....and so far Alex seems to fall in that area....where as Nate Davis, although against 2nd/3rd stringers......he still showed touch and accuracy on his passes.....

so for now, with this Oline, we need Shaun back there...if we still want to make the playoffs.
Preseason aside Smith has always thrown the ball at the head of his receivers, occasionally he'll throw it a little over but he rarely makes them jump for it so for people to watch a single preseason game and parrot what the announcers said about him is a little dissapointing. In the past this method of delivering the football got him in trouble only because the Niners didn't have receivers capable of catching the football outside of Frank Gore and Eric Johnson so when a receiver wasn't able to get their hands on the football or had the football slip through their hands it was intercepted. It's sad because people who just look at his stats claim he has no accuracy when to the contrary he has an ass ton of accuracy, he's just never had receivers that could catch with their hands.

Pick your poison: you want Hill throwing at the WRs' feet or do you want Smith throwing above their heads?

Maybe Nate Davis can throw it somewhere in between.
Too early for calls for Alex Smith to start.

However, Singletary missed an opportunity to get Alex Smith some game time and QB development when the Falcons game was well out of hand.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Too early for calls for Alex Smith to start.

However, Singletary missed an opportunity to get Alex Smith some game time and QB development when the Falcons game was well out of hand.

Maybe. The other side of that is it may have sent the wrong message to the team.

LB
Originally posted by bigmike55:
We're 3-2 with Shaun Hill. (shouldve been 4-1 (minnesota game))

Until Hill starts doing HORRIBLE and we possibly continue at 3-9 or something, Hill is our guy.

Alex Smith sucks. Period.

What is your definition of horrible. Because 15 of 38 for 198yds and an int looks pretty bad to me. He's only completing 56 percent of his passes this season. Smith sucks but even he can do that.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Too early for calls for Alex Smith to start.

However, Singletary missed an opportunity to get Alex Smith some game time and QB development when the Falcons game was well out of hand.

Maybe. The other side of that is it may have sent the wrong message to the team.

LB

Could have, but that's where Singletary comes in after the game and explain (or spin it) that Hill is still the starter and he's developing Alex like he should have been all along under the previous regimes. Put Alex in non-pressure situations with little fear that he can't afford to make mistakes.

Players (and fans) may read into that all day, but that's the plausible scenario in which we started the season with anyway. Shaun Hill gives us a better chance to win now, but Alex Smith has the upside and long-term potential.
You guys are truly amazing. Through 1/4 of the season Hill is 3-0 in the division. Yes hes 0-2 against everyone else. The Vikings game shouldn't fall on him. The Atlanta game shouldn't fall on him. Im not convinced any of you saw this game. Hill was the only player on the field having an emotional response to the teams performance. The fire he has shown and his competitive nature makes up for his other short comings. These intangible attributes are what makes him a leader on this team. I remember Alex Smith against the Steelers back in '07, you remember, the last full game he started and completed. He was driving the niners down field in the 2nd qtr and threw a pick 6. He went over to the sideline with his head down. The team unraveled afterward and we proceed to a 5-11 season. I’m sure if you do a search there will be any number of threads in forum talking about how much of a bum he was after that game. Hill has had 1 bad performance so far in the 2 years or so he has started for the niners. That 1 bad performance was a total team collapse and Sing stated the team as a whole was not prepared for the game against the falcons. Sing put the blame largely on the coaching staff. So this talk of Alex Smith seems completely nonsensical. I think you guys need to change your panties and actually watch this team. The whole demeanor of the team changes with Shaun Hill at QB. Off, Def and SP. The team rallies around him. You cant say that about Alex Smith. I dont care about the talent or lack thereof Smith had around him. The point his Hill has had to work with the same talent in the same coaching environment and did not have the same problems Smith had. Will Smith be a NFL qb in the future? I dont know. What I do know is Shaun Hill has proven this board wrong time and time again and you people jump on his case if he breathes in the wrong direction and then in the same instance the guy cant get his nuts back out of your collective mouths with a crow bar when he performs. Remember, Hill is one of the main reasons why we were and are talking playoffs. Thats more than anyone here can say for Alex Smith.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
We're 3-2 with Shaun Hill. (shouldve been 4-1 (minnesota game))

Until Hill starts doing HORRIBLE and we possibly continue at 3-9 or something, Hill is our guy.

Alex Smith sucks. Period.

I'm sick of people saying this - it isn't true.

Yes, we lost on a last second pass, but if you watched the rest of that game - particularly how awful our offense was - we had no business even being close. We almost stole one, but we did not deserve to win that game. So no, we should NOT be 4-1 right now.
Originally posted by Byisgod:
Originally posted by mayo63:
Go, Alex!

go Alex and never come back !
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,810
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:
Too early for calls for Alex Smith to start.

However, Singletary missed an opportunity to get Alex Smith some game time and QB development when the Falcons game was well out of hand.

The game was out of hand, but you had to keep Hill in there to at least get the offense going. I think it would have been wrong to send Smith in, considering it wasn't Hill's fault the offense was working. Now, if it happens again, then I think you have to bring Smith in. But, only if Hill struggles.
Originally posted by dr8van:
Hill has had 1 bad performance so far in the 2 years or so he has started for the niners. That 1 bad performance was a total team collapse and Sing stated the team as a whole was not prepared for the game against the falcons.

WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

He hasn't played one good game yet this year. And he had plenty of not-so-good performances last year as well. But especially this year, he's been 99% horrible 100% of the time. Not just the Atlanta game.

If it were just the Atlanta game and he played well in the other four games I don't think there would be much controversy right now.