LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 365 users in the forums

Arguments for Alex Smith and Shaun Hill to Start

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Squirrel:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by redmanc07:
We're 3-2 with Shaun Hill. (shouldve been 4-1 (minnesota game))

Until Hill starts doing HORRIBLE and we possibly continue at 3-9 or something, Hill is our guy.

Alex Smith sucks. Period.

What is your definition of horrible. Because 15 of 38 for 198yds and an int looks pretty bad to me. He's only completing 56 percent of his passes this season. Smith sucks but even he can do that.

Okay.. 15 of 38 with an int isn't great. I'll give you that, but I will point out that the interception was caused by a tipped/deflected pass. Not really Hill's fault. But look at the entire season so far. Don't just pull stats from one of our worst games AS A TEAM overall in YEARS.

Hill's stats for THIS ENTIRE SEASON...

81/144 5 TDs / 2 INTs 80.7% passer rating SACKED 16 times in 5 games

I wouldn't consider those stats absolutely horrible. Like I said, we're 3-2. 3-0 in our division (yeah it's a weak division, we all know that, who cares). I don't want to speak to soon but if we get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the Tards from last year. Nobody predicted them to make it to the superbowl. And they actually had a chance at winning it.

But back to the topic at hand.. there is no more competition. Shaun Hill is our starting QB. Alex Smith is the backup. The end.

We have three back-up quarterbacks. No real starter.

Wrong. Shaun Hill is our starter. Alex Smith is the back up, Nate Davis is third string.

If we had no starter, we would have to forfeit every game because nobody would go out on the field and take snaps. I knew this ATL game would trigger allllllll the Alex Smith lovers to jump out and say, "Hill sucks! take him out! put alex in!" If Shaun Hill was allowed as many bad games as Alex has played and still start, Hill would be our starter for the next 10 years.
The only reason that either one should be starting is because it gives Nate Davis a chance to learn the complete offensive package before they throw him in there. He's already more physically gifted than the other two. Think back to playing Steve DeBerg ahead of Joe Montana until Joe was ready.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by dr8van:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Hill has had 1 bad performance so far in the 2 years or so he has started for the niners. That 1 bad performance was a total team collapse and Sing stated the team as a whole was not prepared for the game against the falcons.

WHAT THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN WATCHING?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

He hasn't played one good game yet this year. And he had plenty of not-so-good performances last year as well. But especially this year, he's been 99% horrible 100% of the time. Not just the Atlanta game.

If it were just the Atlanta game and he played well in the other four games I don't think there would be much controversy right now.

This is what Ive been watching....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6169

please refer to his QB rating 86.1 vs SEA, 94.6 @ MIN, 104.9 vs STL and 45.7 vs ATL. Also, I was watching the MIN game when he threw two TDS to VD in the second half to put the niners in the lead late in the game. Please also see his season stats so far… 898 yds, 5 TD QB rating 80.7. Hill is very efficient and proficient at what he is ask to do. So theres what I have been watching. Iwould ask the same of you, but to be frank, Im not sure it really matters Mr. 99% and 100% based on nothing.

Ugh people and there misleading stats
Hill has no pocket presence, no accuracy, acts like a vagina in the pocket when the rush comes and runs into his oline, doesnt throw to his wrs yes they have been open on occasion, he is a dumpoff. Saints, Philly, Giants, Arizona, Green Bay, Vikings, and even a healthy Seattle team will put up points on our D. We need a QB that can put up points. Im going to buy into your stats here, so whats your boys rating if we throw in the viks pick where the time ran out ( he still threw it, made the read and all that) the rams pick and arizona should have caught one of those picks in his "GW" drive in arizona so whats that 5tds and 5 picks.......

I didnt realize we went off to a what if fantasy land. Okay! No need for the reality check then.

Back on planet earth, I am confident Shaun Hill and the offense will get this thing right. When they do, I will be sure to bring this thread back up and nail all the band wagon haters. Im not sure you guys should even consider yourself niner fans, if you're going to create what if scenarios to illustrate a point that is illogical when looking at real data. But hey, Im a guy and guys think logically. Women on the other hand.... just for the sake of .

True fans are fans all the way through. Shaun won this job in training camp. He's our QB and I got his back! This team WILL be better with him under center!

GO NINERS!

Haha very nice post. So I made a very logical response to you stats s**t and thats your comeback because you have nothing to say Oh btw thats a sexiest comment watch out.

Would it not be so sexist if he said he throws like a girl?
Hill has had 1 bad performance so far in the 2 years or so he has started for the niners. That 1 bad performance was a total team collapse and Sing stated the team as a whole was not prepared for the game against the falcons.

He hasn't played one good game yet this year. And he had plenty of not-so-good performances last year as well. But especially this year, he's been 99% horrible 100% of the time. Not just the Atlanta game.

If it were just the Atlanta game and he played well in the other four games I don't think there would be much controversy right now.

please refer to his QB rating 86.1 vs SEA, 94.6 @ MIN, 104.9 vs STL and 45.7 vs ATL. Also, I was watching the MIN game when he threw two TDS to VD in the second half to put the niners in the lead late in the game. Please also see his season stats so far… 898 yds, 5 TD QB rating 80.7. Hill is very efficient and proficient at what he is ask to do. So theres what I have been watching. Iwould ask the same of you, but to be frank, Im not sure it really matters Mr. 99% and 100% based on nothing.

Hill has no pocket presence, no accuracy, acts like a vagina in the pocket when the rush comes and runs into his oline, doesnt throw to his wrs yes they have been open on occasion, he is a dumpoff. Saints, Philly, Giants, Arizona, Green Bay, Vikings, and even a healthy Seattle team will put up points on our D. We need a QB that can put up points. Im going to buy into your stats here, so whats your boys rating if we throw in the viks pick where the time ran out ( he still threw it, made the read and all that) the rams pick and arizona should have caught one of those picks in his "GW" drive in arizona so whats that 5tds and 5 picks.......

I didnt realize we went off to a what if fantasy land. Okay! No need for the reality check then.

Back on planet earth, I am confident Shaun Hill and the offense will get this thing right. When they do, I will be sure to bring this thread back up and nail all the band wagon haters. Im not sure you guys should even consider yourself niner fans, if you're going to create what if scenarios to illustrate a point that is illogical when looking at real data. But hey, Im a guy and guys think logically. Women on the other hand.... just for the sake of .

True fans are fans all the way through. Shaun won this job in training camp. He's our QB and I got his back! This team WILL be better with him under center!

GO NINERS!

Haha very nice post. So I made a very logical response to you stats s**t and thats your comeback because you have nothing to say Oh btw thats a sexiest comment watch out.

Thanks. I do consider myself a good looking dude. Sexy? That may be going a bit too far. But thanks for the complement. Nice job on the correction!

Oh by the way...logical is predicated off of reason which can be fortified via quantifiable standards. Your *cough* assessment *cough*... Hill has no pocket presence, no accuracy, acts like a vagina in the pocket when the rush comes and runs into his oline, doesnt throw to his wrs yes they have been open on occasion, he is a dumpoff. Saints, Philly, Giants, Arizona, Green Bay, Vikings, and even a healthy Seattle team will put up points on our D. is based on nothing but your own short sided view point. Thats all this conversation has been. You have an opinion. I tried to illustrate why that opinion was inaccurate. You are too wrapped up in your what ifs to see anything else. There really isnt anything more I can say. It is no longer productive to discuss this with you.

Until Hill starts doing HORRIBLE and we possibly continue at 3-9 or something, Hill is our guy.

What is your definition of horrible. Because 15 of 38 for 198yds and an int looks pretty bad to me. He's only completing 56 percent of his passes this season. Smith sucks but even he can do that.

Okay.. 15 of 38 with an int isn't great. I'll give you that, but I will point out that the interception was caused by a tipped/deflected pass. Not really Hill's fault. But look at the entire season so far. Don't just pull stats from one of our worst games AS A TEAM overall in YEARS.

I wouldn't consider those stats absolutely horrible. Like I said, we're 3-2. 3-0 in our division (yeah it's a weak division, we all know that, who cares). I don't want to speak to soon but if we get into the playoffs, anything can happen. Look at the Tards from last year. Nobody predicted them to make it to the superbowl. And they actually had a chance at winning it.

But back to the topic at hand.. there is no more competition. Shaun Hill is our starting QB. Alex Smith is the backup. The end.

His personal stats look ok on paper but the offense HE RUNS doesn't,here are a few:

2 td or less per game

last in the NFL in 3rd down conversions

30th in passing-160.8

29th in yards-267

16th in points-22.4

This is GARBAGE,minus the ATL game and the D has been largely responsible for their wins.

If there is no improvement very soon then they need to try something different
Shaun Hill is overrated, slow, and inaccurate. Look at the speed and reflexes of Henne and Sanchez Monday night. Singletary is responsible for our wins, not Hill. It can't be any worse than to try Alex.

If Niners are 3-4, Alex Smith gets his shot....

[ Edited by jimmythegreekjr on Oct 14, 2009 at 10:53:00 ]

GO NINERS!

Thanks. I do consider myself a good looking dude. Sexy? That may be going a bit too far. But thanks for the complement. Nice job on the correction!

Oh by the way...logical is predicated off of reason which can be fortified via quantifiable standards. Your *cough* assessment *cough*... Hill has no pocket presence, no accuracy, acts like a vagina in the pocket when the rush comes and runs into his oline, doesnt throw to his wrs yes they have been open on occasion, he is a dumpoff. Saints, Philly, Giants, Arizona, Green Bay, Vikings, and even a healthy Seattle team will put up points on our D. is based on nothing but your own short sided view point. Thats all this conversation has been. You have an opinion. I tried to illustrate why that opinion was inaccurate. You are too wrapped up in your what ifs to see anything else. There really isnt anything more I can say. It is no longer productive to discuss this with you.

Im in class on my phone sory if i could care less about my spelling on an internet fourm umm kay. my what ifs? im sorry i wasnt blinded at our 3-1 start and noticed alot of flaws in this team. Hill isnt a good QB he makes boneheaded decisions and hardly looks at his his wrs he is a dump off guy...plenty of proof there in his games. He gets panicky in the pocket when the tiniest bit of pressure is there and runs into the line and gets sacked again proof in his games. your brought up the stats not me his stats done mean s**t he has still played very poorly and you just cant deny the fact that he threw 2 more guaranteed picks against the viks and rams but thankfully time expired or whatever. bu lol he still made the throw or am i wrong?? as for my comment on the D yeah they have played okay not great okay I dont think they will be able to handle the above teams i mentioned for a full game we will need hill to score and lead us. Something last week he showed he just cant do
Originally posted by Squirrel:

We have three back-up quarterbacks. No real starter.

Wrong. Shaun Hill is our starter. Alex Smith is the back up, Nate Davis is third string.

If we had no starter, we would have to forfeit every game because nobody would go out on the field and take snaps. I knew this ATL game would trigger allllllll the Alex Smith lovers to jump out and say, "Hill sucks! take him out! put alex in!" If Shaun Hill was allowed as many bad games as Alex has played and still start, Hill would be our starter for the next 10 years.

I'm not an Alex Smith lover. Clearly, you haven't read my posts lately. I have repeatedly said that neither of our top two quarterbacks are good.

And, by saying we have three back-ups, I am stating that we currently do not have someone who has the qualities of a starting quarterback. But, apparently, you seem to really enjoy watching Hill put up his wounded ducks week in and week out. Pity.
  • jerryricefan80
  • Info N/A
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for jerryricefan80.
I'm not a fan of either of these QB's. I have argued for Hill in the past because he presents less of a problem than Smith does BUT I think Hill's playing time will be coming to an end sooner than later. We are going into a rough part of the schedule soon and if Hill keeps playing the way he did vs. ATL, he will be sitting. Singletary will pull the trigger on that one for sure.
Aside from all the hate and BS... here's what I would want to happen.

option #1 - SF has this extra time to get work in. Glad to hear Alex Smith is staying to get in the extra work, and Shaun Hill really should as well. Anyway, If during this next week and a half, Shaun Hill's mental and physical game has not looked sharp... and Alex does? ... then SF makes up the "minor injury excuse" and Alex Smith is replacing the "injured" starter vs Houston. If Alex has a good/great game, then Hill is still "injured" and they are being careful with the injury by resting him another week. Alex plays well/great again, and then the starter is now Smith.

option #2 - Shaun Hill starts @ Houston, but is on a very short leash. If Hill is playing poorly by halftime?... He sits and Alex comes in.

option #3 - Hill starts @ Houston and gets the whole game. If he sucks (week 5) or underperforms (weeks 1-4) as he has... a new starter is named early in the week.

option #4 - Hill starts... plays better than he has been... and continues to start... but there is still a leash.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
I dont think it matters too much who plays. Both QB's are not good at all, plus the o-line stinks so any QB put back there wont fare very well. Lets just hope Gore can carry us to the playoffs
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Aside from all the hate and BS... here's what I would want to happen.

option #1 - SF has this extra time to get work in. Glad to hear Alex Smith is staying to get in the extra work, and Shaun Hill really should as well. Anyway, If during this next week and a half, Shaun Hill's mental and physical game has not looked sharp... and Alex does? ... then SF makes up the "minor injury excuse" and Alex Smith is replacing the "injured" starter vs Houston. If Alex has a good/great game, then Hill is still "injured" and they are being careful with the injury by resting him another week. Alex plays well/great again, and then the starter is now Smith.

option #2 - Shaun Hill starts @ Houston, but is on a very short leash. If Hill is playing poorly by halftime?... He sits and Alex comes in.

option #3 - Hill starts @ Houston and gets the whole game. If he sucks (week 5) or underperforms (weeks 1-4) as he has... a new starter is named early in the week.

option #4 - Hill starts... plays better than he has been... and continues to start... but there is still a leash.

I think Hill playes mediocre but efficient while Gore gets 18+ carries and the defense plays well after being destroyed by Atlanta.

But I do agree that another bad game by Hill will raise some serious concerns and questions about his standing. One bad game is one thing but 2 or 3 consecutive bad games during this part of the season is unacceptable.
Whats funny about all this is we are not asking the QB to do much. Fact is, even the rookie Nate Davis could hand the ball off to Gore and make some passes. Why when we have Alex that can throw deep do you keep a guy that can't throw but 20 yards and even that 20 yard pass is UGLY? We are not asking our QB to be P. Manning so why not just put in the more athletic, better passer and see what happens with Gore, V. Davis, Bruce, Morgan and Crabby! It might be a surprise. We at least need somebody that can throw it deep... If we have too.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
I dont think it matters too much who plays. Both QB's are not good at all, plus the o-line stinks so any QB put back there wont fare very well. Lets just hope Gore can carry us to the playoffs

The running game has been a problem just as much as pass protection. If it wasn't for Gores two big runs we would be near the bottom in the league in rushing offense.
I could understand a Nate davis over hill and smith argument, as idiotic as it sounds because he possess all the tools, except experience, but smith over hill is sorry! He had ONE good game in seattle and thats it!
Share 49ersWebzone