There are 68 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Could Michael Spurlock beat out Battle and Zeigler?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Sorry to play the fact check police, but, here we go:

1) Before Battle's injury last season, he played in more than 40+ consecutive games. The "always injured" label is the most naive and untelligent label given to him by the masses on the board. It is an urban legend.

2) Battle has sat out a fair amount of practices in the past, but shows up for game time. The same pattern of missed practices can be said for many other players around the league, and yet Battle is seemingly the only one pointed out.

3) Battle did not injure his leg in 2008. I believe 90% of the board still thinks he had a knee injury. It was his foot. His legs are reportedly sound right now.

4) Battle led the 49ers in receptions before his injury in 2008....as a backup.

Personal statement: Even if you do not like a certain player, at least be fair in your statements about said player. Inaccurate statements either show bias, or a serious lack of knowledge. End the urban legends.

I think my comment was a hyperbole but (LOL) how many of those 40 games did we win?
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
They'll try to get Zeigler on to the practice squad. I don't know if Spurlock is eligible for that. But, I've never understood why ANYONE doesn't like Arnez Battle. The guy is a great athlete, very smart and a good player.

Agreed. Battle has been Webzone Board Public Enemy Number 1 since Kwame Harris jumped to the Raiders, and I will never understand.

At the same time, Ahmad Brooks is a hero.
Originally posted by Youngone:

1) Before Battle's injury last season, he played in more than 40+ consecutive games. The "always injured" label is the most naive and untelligent label given to him by the masses on the board. It is an urban legend.

2) Battle has sat out a fair amount of practices in the past, but shows up for game time. The same pattern of missed practices can be said for many other players around the league, and yet Battle is seemingly the only one pointed out.

3) Battle did not injure his leg in 2008. I believe 90% of the board still thinks he had a knee injury. It was his foot. His legs are reportedly sound right now.

Personal statement: Even if you do not like a certain player, at least be fair in your statements about said player. Inaccurate statements either show bias, or a serious lack of knowledge. End the urban legends.

I think my comment was a hyperbole but (LOL) how many of those 40 games did we win?

According to SanDiego....zero (sorry, SD, I couldn't help myself). The Niners have had some bad years, but I wouldn't assign blame to Battle. He's been a terrific Niner, and worthy of praise, not scorn. People continue to discount, or belittle, his contributions to the team.

MadDog, God knows you know alot, and seem to have loads of time to accumulate an abundance of facts/stats, but has anyone told you you have just an eensty teensty bit of a condescending attitude? While many of us don't keep such minutiae (sp?) at our fingertips, it does seem Battle is injured more than the average bear. 40 consecutive games is great, but I guarantee he was playing hurt and wasn't at the top of his game for many of those starts. If he was immensely talented, a slight drop-off might not be a big deal. A guy like Battle though, needs all his tools to be a factor. And he's played hurt enough for it to be noticed by most of the Zone. Add that to the injury time off, throw in several talented young guys and you have a Battle in jeopardy. Muchlike with the Marvel Smith joke on another post, you might want to lighten up a bit when "lecturing" your fellow Zoners. Posting here is like e-mails, sometimes you can come off far more stern or haughty than you mean to sound. Just a friendly FYI.
Battles spot maybe in jeopardy but it has nothing to do with spurlock or ziegler
its more that we have Bruce, Crabtree,Morgan,Hill, than after that it goes Battle, ziegler,spurlock, Battle will be on the team ahead of ziegler and sprulock

Thanks for dispelling some of the myths, MD.... I too was under the impression that his knee was the problem in 2008....my mistake.

However, even though I agree that Battle does "show up" on game day, I do think that missing a lot of practices during the season is cause for concern...and this is coming from a guy who loves Battle's toughness. I had not heard that his knees were sound now and wonder if you have a link to that info...

Finally, do you like Battle's game enough to keep him on the roster as a 6th receiver and risk losing good young prospects like Zeigler and Spurlock? It almost seems comical to be having such a serious discussion about a 6th receiver but here we are...
Originally posted by valrod33:
Battle's spot maybe in jeopardy but it has nothing to do with spurlock or ziegler
its more that we have Bruce, Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, than after that it goes Battle, Zeigler, Spurlock. Battle will be on the team ahead of Zeigler and Spurlock.

You forgot about Brandon Jones, who will definitely make the team.....and Battle still can't play right now so his spot is not a lock by any means. Ziggy and Spurlock have been impressive so let the "battle" begin.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

MadDog, God knows you know alot, and seem to have loads of time to accumulate an abundance of facts/stats, but has anyone told you you have just an eensty teensty bit of a condescending attitude?

Muchlike with the Marvel Smith joke on another post, you might want to lighten up a bit when "lecturing" your fellow Zoners. Posting here is like e-mails, sometimes you can come off far more stern or haughty than you mean to sound. Just a friendly FYI.

Funny how this keeps coming up with you MD.

And I would argue Mark Roman is the new Kwame Harris. Battle is just a guy that plays well but has a lot of young talent nipping at his oft-injured heels.

[ Edited by NickSh49 on Jun 15, 2009 at 11:57:08 ]
Originally posted by BrodieFan:
They'll try to get Zeigler on to the practice squad. I don't know if Spurlock is eligible for that. But, I've never understood why ANYONE doesn't like Arnez Battle. The guy is a great athlete, very smart and a good player.

Agreed. Battle has been Webzone Board Public Enemy Number 1 since Kwame Harris jumped to the Raiders, and I will never understand.

At the same time, Ahmad Brooks is a hero.

I hear ya - there is absolutely zero chance that Battle is cut from this team... His above average hands, effective run blocking, and versatility as a punt returner make him a virtual lock.

I am assuming that you are questioning everyone's interest in Brooks from this statement, but I must say, I've been interested in him as a backup to Manny for a long time - his size, strength, and nose for the ball should make for at a least a very solid backup.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran

1/2) The "always injured" label is correct because he always is, he just fights through it and plays on sundays. He was put on IR this year so the team could get Jason Hill and Zeigler some playing time.

3) I agree with you that the majority of the board gets their facts from the board. It takes ten minutes to read Maiocco or Barrows to find out what is really going on with the 49ers.

4) It doesn't matter how many receptions he had if he is going to be the sixth receiver. He will be inactive or he will be a gunner on special teams. He will not be running routes unless one or two receivers go down during the season. He will be a very expensive inactive/special teams player if the 49ers keep him.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Battle's spot maybe in jeopardy but it has nothing to do with spurlock or ziegler
its more that we have Bruce, Crabtree, Morgan, Hill, than after that it goes Battle, Zeigler, Spurlock. Battle will be on the team ahead of Zeigler and Spurlock.

You forgot about Brandon Jones, who will definitely make the team.....and Battle still can't play right now so his spot is not a lock by any means. Ziggy and Spurlock have been impressive so let the "battle" begin.

i knew i was forgetting somebody, thanks

k Bruce,Crabtree,Morgan,Jones,Hill

than

Battle,Ziegler,Spurlock
Originally posted by King49er:
I will be disgusted if Arnaz Battle is cut,anyone who actually watched the games last year would know why I feel this way.

He was money on 3rd downs before he got hurt.

Anyone who thinks Battle should be cut is just a Madden player who is bothered by the fact that his rating isn't what they want it to be,in real life,he is an asset to this team.

Battle is EASILY replaced. "before he got hurt" is the way to describe Battles play EVERY year. I watched games and Battle was ok, as always, just ok. I can not personaly see the value in keeping Battle when we know he will come up with some clutch plays, but at about the 1/2 way point he will get injured and contibute NOTHING for the rest the season. In the mean time the guy we cut will be actually be contributing in the 2nd 1/2 of the season.

I really don't understand fans infactuation with Battle and Bruce on this site. Both are EXTREMELY overrated at this point in their careers imo, and BOTH should be axed to make room for guys who will contribute beyond this season, and in Battles case, cut for guys who will contribute the ENTIRE season.

EDIT::
i will leave the above post as is, but point out my obvious emotion driven opinion of Battle's health. The guy has been healthy for the most part the last 2 seasons. He's still nothing special, and still earns his reputation for being unrelaible based on career history.

[ Edited by WINiner on Jun 15, 2009 at 16:20:07 ]
It seems Jerry likes Ziggy quite a bit as he is using his route running as examples to the other receivers..."While youngsters Maurice Price and Dobson Collins had their struggles, Sullivan told all his receivers after Zeigler's 15-yard "out" route: "That's how I want it to look.""--M.Maiocco's Blog

It surely is nice to know that we have some nice depth for once. I mean, Ziggy has been talked about being the 5-6th WR on this squad with Crabtree, Bruce, Morgan, Jones, and Hill being the top five. Ziggy, Spurlock and Battle will compete for that last spot as been mentioned.

Right now, I am putting my money on Ziggy with all due respect to Battle. And no, it is not cause I hate him. It is because he's been injury prone as far as I can remember. Sure he's a beast when healthy especially on third down, but age is catching up and we need more durable assets to increase that needed depth if we want to win the West

JMTC...

[ Edited by ninertico on Jun 15, 2009 at 13:26:26 ]
Everyone is writing great things about him, but I doubt he will earn a spot ahead of the other guys this year.
When did Jones become a "LOCK" to make the team?