There are 219 users in the forums

Could Michael Spurlock beat out Battle and Zeigler?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by teeohh:
he's a vet? damn i thought he was a rookie ufa

Spurlock is 27
may the best man win. right now zeigler and spurlock seem to be really taking advantage of their chances; they're also the most intriguing of any of that second-tier of WRs.

I've always been a big Battle supporter, and I don't see him being let go right now. He's got decent hands, is a good outlet receiver, and with Jones and Crabtree out of the picture right now it would be good to have another pretty reliable receiver out there. If he's healthy I think he makes it.

Spurlock I think loses out to Zeigler, though, because it seems like Zeigler is really developing a repoir with the QBs.

Bruce-Morgan-Jones-Crabtree-Battle-Zeigler.
Nice to see my thread come back. People thought I was nuts when I threw this question out there a few months ago, but now the Matts write about it and everyone is on board.

I know it looks like Hill is falling behind, but I still think he makes the team over Battle, Zeigler, and Spurlock. Not only is he the highest draft pick, but he looked better than any of them in more games last year. The only one who has looked as good as him in games is Battle. But I think Hill has the edge on him because he's younger and has a higher ceiling.

Still, I think there's a chance that Spurlock could beat out Battle and Zeigler. But I think with Jones' injury the team might opt to keep Battle (tried and true) instead of taking a flyer on a guy like Spurlock.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
Nice to see my thread come back. People thought I was nuts when I threw this question out there a few months ago, but now the Matts write about it and everyone is on board.

I know it looks like Hill is falling behind, but I still think he makes the team over Battle, Zeigler, and Spurlock. Not only is he the highest draft pick, but he looked better than any of them in more games last year. The only one who has looked as good as him in games is Battle. But I think Hill has the edge on him because he's younger and has a higher ceiling.

Still, I think there's a chance that Spurlock could beat out Battle and Zeigler. But I think with Jones' injury the team might opt to keep Battle (tried and true) instead of taking a flyer on a guy like Spurlock.

i have a lot of hope for Hill too. He was an intriguing pick, with enough of a low-radar pedigree that he could have been a real steal. He's showed some glimmers, but it just hasn't really been enough, compared with what Morgan has done with similar chances, and unless he does some special things in the preseason games, it just sounds like he'll have a hard time cracking the roster.
The way I look at it all of our receivers pretty much look the same.

6' to 6'1 3/4 - 200 to 220 LBS - Hill, Morgan, Crabtree, Battle and Jones.

The guys that can give us different looks are - Ziegler 6'3 185 lbs and Spurlock 5'11 200 lbs (really more like 5'8).

The reality is these two players represent a different look that defenses will have to defend. Most CB's in the NFL are 5'10 to 6'0 tall so having a tall lanky receiver to get the ball at its highest point wont hurt, especially in the redzone.

Spurlock gives us the quick and shifty Wes Welker style player to turn a quick slant into a TD.

My point is the NFL is about match ups and both of these players will give opposing defenses something different to look at besides large physical receivers (which arent a bad thing for a power running game).

I dont know if they are better or worse than the people they are going against but they are the only two with vastly different body styles than the other receivers.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
may the best man win. right now zeigler and spurlock seem to be really taking advantage of their chances; they're also the most intriguing of any of that second-tier of WRs.

I've always been a big Battle supporter, and I don't see him being let go right now. He's got decent hands, is a good outlet receiver, and with Jones and Crabtree out of the picture right now it would be good to have another pretty reliable receiver out there. If he's healthy I think he makes it.

Spurlock I think loses out to Zeigler, though, because it seems like Zeigler is really developing a repoir with the QBs.

Take Zeigler out and replace him with Spurlock and you have our WR corps for the upcoming season.
oh my god, i love when a beat writer says one positive thing about someone, all of a sudden they are the next big thing. just because there were positive things said about spurlock today, doesnt mean hes going to beat out battle and zeiglar.
Originally posted by backontop:

Take Zeigler out and replace him with Spurlock and you have our WR corps for the upcoming season.

maybe. I know that today Beerows and Maiocco talked about Spurlock, so every is all excited about him, but those guys have been talking about Zeigler all of TC, so my feeling is just that Zeigler has really made an impression. Again, I think it will come down to the games for Zeigler-Hill-Spurlock, and whoever performs the best makes the team.

maybe. I know that today Beerows and Maiocco talked about Spurlock, so every is all excited about him, but those guys have been talking about Zeigler all of TC, so my feeling is just that Zeigler has really made an impression. Again, I think it will come down to the games for Zeigler-Hill-Spurlock, and whoever performs the best makes the team.

I have never been a fan of Zeigler or Hill so naturally I would root for Spurlock. I was actually excited when we signed Spurlock.

I have never been a fan of Zeigler or Hill so naturally I would root for Spurlock. I was actually excited when we signed Spurlock.

he's definitely intriguing. it wouldn't bother me at all if he proves to be the best player in that second tier of WRs. I like his versatility a lot, and I'm really curious to see how he performs.It would be real nice to have a 5th or 6th wideout who can provide some matchup problems for other teams as well as some spark on special teams, something I don't see Hill or Zeigler being able to do.

I'm curious about Zeig too. We've been hearing about his great hands for awhile and after reading how the QBs are hooking up with him a lot this offseason makes me wonder if we're about to see a real emergence by him.

Allen Rossum should have his bags packed... just incase.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:

From everything that I have read zeigler and Spurlock have really made the best out this camp. They still need to demonstrate it in the pre-season as well. I was rooting for Hill cause he was a local product but he has been eerily quiet during this camp so far , he had better make a showing soon like in the pre-season games.

P.S. I don't know about Spurlock beating out Battle while Battle is healthy , but Sprlock is having a good camp.

[ Edited by 49ERwhiner on Aug 12, 2009 at 17:47:50 ]
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

in case of what? in case he is running late for the flight out to the first road game?

Rossum will NOT be cut.

-9fA
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Rossum will NOT be cut.

-9fA

Keeping both Rossum AND Bruce, players who have no future with the team, yet eat up a skill position roster spot (with as much young talent as we're developing with guys like Ziegler, Hill, Spurlock, and Kori Sheets) is not good for the longevity of the team. The niners will not be Super Bowl contenders this year, why let go promising players that can be legitimate impacts in this season and seasons beyond?
Share 49ersWebzone