There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Bear Pascoe Thread

• NinerNZ
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Another thing ois, Bear Pascoe hasnt even played a down in the NFL yet so lets hold our horses on locking him up long term. Vernon Davis is an established player.

I would "Bearly" say Davis is "established".

Good one!

Well Davis is established all right . . . established as a bust so far. No . . . wait a minute . . . he's a GREAT blocker! In fact, the best in the NFL! We know this because people are always making excuses for VD and what better way is there for establishing some phantom "value" than talking about "blocking skills" . . . there is no real objectifiable way of quantifying (or even disproving) the value of this contribution.

I see that the "established system" excuse is being bandied about for VD now as well. It's only appropriate (although less credible) as its the same excuse that's being thrown up for the other two busts . . . erm, I mean "beasts" who he's joining on the bubble: ASmith and MLawson.

Bear hasn't even made the team's roster, yet I hold out more hope of him being the complete TE solution for the Niners than VD suddenly developing into an outstanding package.
Originally posted by NinerNZ:
Another thing ois, Bear Pascoe hasnt even played a down in the NFL yet so lets hold our horses on locking him up long term. Vernon Davis is an established player.

Good one!

Well Davis is established all right . . . established as a bust so far. No . . . wait a minute . . . he's a GREAT blocker! In fact, the best in the NFL! We know this because people are always making excuses for VD and what better way is there for establishing some phantom "value" than talking about "blocking skills" . . . there is no real objectifiable way of quantifying (or even disproving) the value of this contribution.

I see that the "established system" excuse is being bandied about for VD now as well. It's only appropriate (although less credible) as its the same excuse that's being thrown up for the other two busts . . . erm, I mean "beasts" who he's joining on the bubble: ASmith and MLawson.

Bear hasn't even made the team's roster, yet I hold out more hope of him being the complete TE solution for the Niners than VD suddenly developing into an outstanding package.

The fact is Vernon has not produced in the catching department.

Owen Daneils who was selected 91 picks AFTER Vernon, has more yards the last two season than Vernon Davis has in his whole career.

While you can make any excuse you want for why Davis has not become a go to receiver, Owen Daniels could be making the same excuses about change in QBs. While I understand that McCloughan takes the Ron Wolf style of selecting athletic bodied players I think Davis was labeled too quickly as a "guy that will help Alex Smith immediately", and not as the great blocker that he is.
I like the thought: interesting. Hopefully they both are great. This would be a win/win for everyone
He could develop into a good backup. I don't buy that he's capable of replacing Davis and starting. Pascoe is slow as molasses. 40 times and straight line speed can be overrated (see Vernon) but I challenge you to find me a starting tight end that ran a 4.95. Most effective tight ends do have considerable 4.6/4.7 speed. This isn't the WAC that we're talking about.

I'm not knocking the pick. He's a superior upgrade compared to Bajema and the other primary blocking tight ends that we've had over the years. I just don't think he's going to be anything more than that.
I laugh because nobody even heard of this guy 3 weeks ago and they want him to replace Vernon? Its hillarious
I laugh because nobody even heard of this guy 3 weeks ago and they want him to replace Vernon? Its hillarious

Actually Maiocco, the same reporter that said he might take a starting role in "a year or two" has been talking about him since January. You haven't heard? That's hilarious.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by NinerNZ:

Good one!

The fact is Vernon has not produced in the catching department.

Owen Daneils who was selected 91 picks AFTER Vernon, has more yards the last two season than Vernon Davis has in his whole career.

While you can make any excuse you want for why Davis has not become a go to receiver, Owen Daniels could be making the same excuses about change in QBs. While I understand that McCloughan takes the Ron Wolf style of selecting athletic bodied players I think Davis was labeled too quickly as a "guy that will help Alex Smith immediately", and not as the great blocker that he is.

I'm curious to see what their numbers would be if Owens and Davis swapped teams. If one is left to block, how can he get the catches, yards, and TD.
Bear will NEVER surpass Vernon Davis on our depth chart unless of injury

In the same way that people are being ridiculous in annointing Bear as the future starter, you are being equally ridiculous in denying that it might happen. Might.

In the off season, all things are possible. If you research the guy, I don't think I would want to bet against him making the team. After that it is up to him and Davis. VD needs a good season to justify his position
Can we just get an official Bash Davis thread. The sheer amount of VD-haters (not that kind...) is ridiculous. Sure, we'd all like to see more but he often only got, on average, maybe 2-3 passes per game his way last year. He actually played well and had nice stats in 2007, injury and horrific O considered.
[ Edited by merm49 on May 5, 2009 at 11:37 PM ]
Well it's too early to tell how he will progress but he does have some skills and he could very well be a very nice addition to an offense where the TE's are utilized by coach Raye. The best part is he could turn out to be a bit of insurance if Davis were to get hurt or doesn't extend his contract into the future ...... and he isn't going to cost us 1st round money. I have been waiting for a while now for V. Davis to break out with his hands , I guess that I can patiently wait to see what the new kid has.
[ Edited by 49ERGUY on May 7, 2009 at 2:24 AM ]
pascoe is a blocking TE only. he was drafted to replace Bajema and take blocking responsibilities off VD so he can actually be a part of the offense.
Originally posted by Niners99:
pascoe is a blocking TE only. he was drafted to replace Bajema and take blocking responsibilities off VD so he can actually be a part of the offense.

Thats it. Some of you should go get Pascoe jerseys.

Vernon Davis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bear Pascoe.
Originally posted by Niners99:

Exatcly. Some of you should go get Pascoe jerseys.

Vernon Davis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bear Pascoe.
Hes probly not even gunna pass Walker on the depth chart.
  • 9erman
  • Info N/A
Shuan Hill is better then Tom Brandstater. He'll be able to get Bear the ball a lot better than Brandstater could. I'm from Fresno, so I got to see this kid play live. He's a BEAST. We brought him in to help with the running game. With Vernon and Bear, Frank will be able to murder the edges of a defense in double TE packages... you guys gotta look at the bigger picture!