LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Reason for AS breakout season? NONE

Smith is and has always been a bust. Thankfully Sing and our new offensive coodinator realize this and drafted a stud with a good arm, accuracy, and footwork. Wonderlic is overrated---if you go off the wonderlic Drew Bledsow and Alex Smith should have 10 SuperBowls between them---NOT.
[ Edited by RealDeal on Apr 27, 2009 at 9:18 AM ]
Quote:
I'm hoping the run-first philosophy

This is evidence that many Niner fans either can't read or comprehend basic English. Nowhere did Singletary EVER say he had a "run-first" philosophy. He didn't say it and doesn't believe in it. His philosophy is identical to Bill Walsh's because he learned it from Bill. It's RUN LAST. He wants to build up early leads, THEN run the ball down their throats in the second half, running out the clock and demoralizing the defense. LISTEN TO THE WORDS, KIDS.
Originally posted by RealDeal:

Smith is and has always been a bust. Thankfully Sing and our new offensive coodinator realize this and drafted a stud with a good arm, accuracy, and footwork. Wonderlic is overrated---if you go off the wonderlic Drew Bledsow and Alex Smith should have 10 SuperBowls between them---NOT.

hey negative nancy..

why dont you go root for a team that has a long standing reputation for having "bust" players...

your reasoning.... oh wait thats right, you provided none
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think Alex Smith has a lot to prove now.

1. Is he healthy? In 2005 he was a physical specimen. Now, after 2 seasons lost to a bum shoulder, he may not have the arm strength that Shaun Hill has.
2. Can he throw the ball at the right time? Alex had a tendency to hold the ball too long, and then rush the throw and throw it erratically and off target. Hill's greatest strength is getting rid of the ball quickly. If Alex continues to hold the ball too long, then he will continue to get sacked, and doesn't belong on the field.

If Alex can prove the following 2 items, then I think he deserves to be our starting QB, if not, I think we need to start Hill. Personally, I don't think there is anything that Hill can prove during the offseason. He will probably play poorly in training camp, so we have to look at his body of work during the regular season: Quick decisions, so-so arm strength, and occasional periods of inaccuracy.
Originally posted by MaliCali:
Originally posted by RealDeal:

hey negative nancy..

why dont you go root for a team that has a long standing reputation for having "bust" players...

your reasoning.... oh wait thats right, you provided none

Poor footwork, inaccurate, happy feet, small hands with fumbleitis, poor completion percentage, inability to read defenses, poor leadership potential, yes man who did jumping jacks for Nolan.

Anything else?
Originally posted by ezrider:
Quote:
I'm hoping the run-first philosophy

This is evidence that many Niner fans either can't read or comprehend basic English. Nowhere did Singletary EVER say he had a "run-first" philosophy. He didn't say it and doesn't believe in it. His philosophy is identical to Bill Walsh's because he learned it from Bill. It's RUN LAST. He wants to build up early leads, THEN run the ball down their throats in the second half, running out the clock and demoralizing the defense. LISTEN TO THE WORDS, KIDS.

This. Reading comprehension FTW!
  • Chief
  • Veteran
Shaun Hill should be our starter, we can't start Smith just because he was a number 1 pick. I think Smith can have his last chance when something either happens to Hill, or Hill is playing like ass. To be honest though, Hill is very underrated and I feel if he starts the season we will roll with him into the playoffs. Hill will thrive with the new system and new talent

IMO
Well, i'm happy w/ what Hill brings to the table after watching him taking better control of the offense; should be our starter. I can only hope this "competition" helps Smith as well, still supportive of him. I still feel that he had a lot of obstacles to overcome since we drafted him.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Poor line protection? Well, it's pretty solid now.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Health issues? He will be ready to go this year. Knock on wood.
Coaching continuity? It seems we're finally putting together a great staff.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10344718

There have already been reports that Smith is still experiencing issues with his shoulder. I know the Matts both reported that Smith was throwing per normal in the most recent minicamp, but they are the ONLY ones who are reporting that, and being as they are beat writiers and as such depend on a good relationship with the team to be effective beat writiers, I don't trust them when it comes to reports such as injuries ect.

Everything I have read that has a source other then one of the Matts indicates Smith is still having problems with his shoulder, including a quote from Smith himself.
Originally posted by WINiner:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

There have already been reports that Smith is still experiencing issues with his shoulder. I know the Matts both reported that Smith was throwing per normal in the most recent minicamp, but they are the ONLY ones who are reporting that, and being as they are beat writiers and as such depend on a good relationship with the team to be effective beat writiers, I don't trust them when it comes to reports such as injuries ect.

Everything I have read that has a source other then one of the Matts indicates Smith is still having problems with his shoulder, including a quote from Smith himself.

Then he can heal on the bench. He is still a solid #2 no matter what. I feel he has a slim chance as a starter in this league but who knows, everything may click all at once in his brain and he could do a 360 in that mental department. Sometimes, confidence comes with age as you become the more experienced guy on the team with younger inexperienced players coming in.

Of course he will have problems with his shoulder. This is his first time really throwing in what...a year or something? If you've ever injured your shoulder you'd know even if it's "healed" it takes a while to "feel right." Your mind instinctively muscle guards areas like the shoulder after trauma so any kind of throwing or crazy movement will naturally create apprehension. In other words it's all in his head. But it's normal. He should be fine by training camp.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Then he can heal on the bench. He is still a solid #2 no matter what. I feel he has a slim chance as a starter in this league but who knows, everything may click all at once in his brain and he could do a 360 in that mental department. Sometimes, confidence comes with age as you become the more experienced guy on the team with younger inexperienced players coming in.

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
- Jason Kidd, Dallas Mavericks
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

Come on now Joe. Wow.

Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by TheGoldStandard:

Come on now Joe. Wow.

A 180 turnaround for Alex Smith just isn't enough.
Are u sure Towelboy isnt really Alex Leaf trying to buy back the zoners trust in he is a great QB??????

Share 49ersWebzone