LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Guys, we didn't resign Alex to sit on the bench and be a backup. Oh and Smith is being paid more than Hill. You think that's an accident? You think they are going to pay Smith twice as much as Hill to be the backup when they could have released him with little trouble.

Alex Smith is our starter.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Even at his best A.Smith has just been marginal as a starter...if smith can't take the starting job from hill this preseason then he needs to be cut...simple as that. There are cheaper options at backup QB than can be had in F/A...
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Guys, we didn't resign Alex to sit on the bench and be a backup. Oh and Smith is being paid more than Hill. You think that's an accident? You think they are going to pay Smith twice as much as Hill to be the backup when they could have released him with little trouble.

I would love it if he earned it backed, but if Hill wins this out, I'll be fine with Alex as the number 2. If he's good to go, I think he could do some good things, but it's been a long time since he's seen the field. He's going to be rusty.
  • kaseygreer
  • Info N/A
I couldn't agree more, Finally someone making some sense. I am looking forward to a great season with either Smith or Hill at the QB position. But for all 49ers fans and Alex, I hope he wins the competition. And consistently show us why they picked him # 1 in the first place.

Not really! Smith got this deal because he was due a bunch of money this season (whether he would be released or not) per his rookie contract. If you subtract the $ he would get anyway then he would earn less than Hill.

He is our backup.

How much someone is being paid doesn't mean squat. Jto was paid less than hill and started. Smith took a pay cut and won't beat out hill. He is in the team to be a an who could potentially be good or a good back up
Originally posted by pigskin:

Not really! Smith got this deal because he was due a bunch of money this season (whether he would be released or not) per his rookie contract. If you subtract the $ he would get anyway then he would earn less than Hill.

He is our backup.

Actually, you are both wrong. We don't know who will start.

However, Singletary has stated that if there was a game to be played today, he would start Shaun. So there you go.
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Sure he'll have a breakout season.....

Holding the clipboard behind Shaun Hill. Alex Smith sucks. sorry all you Smith lovers, he had his chance. Time to move on.

And.. Nate Davis, who is being spoken of in glowing terms by the MS and McC, et all.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Why are we still talking about Alex Smith? We just drafted a QB in the 5th round "Nate Davis", so what does that tell you about Alex Smith? He's a BUST! We need to just move on, I have never seen this much of a love affair with a bust in my life.

This is Pro Football, when a guy is a bust you move on! Let's just move on all together at the count of three.

1.........................................2............................................3

Feel better now?

davis = practice squad or # 3 at best....
  • PWillis4Prez
  • Info N/A
personally i think that Aaron Rodgers would be exctly like Alex if he had received the poor coaching and lack of playmakers Alex had to deal with it. Not to mention the 164 coordinators in 4 years.

I have a gut feeling that Alex will have a breakout season as well. I think the only thing that could stop him is if the shoulder injury is much more serious that we had thought. I don't have a lot of evidence to support my theory, but I just believe in Alex, and feel he deserves another chance, and will hopefully prove himself.
i said it once ill say it again give him the luxury he never had and let him sit on the bench and learn the offense and let him practice then i guarentee he will do awsome in 2006 he showed major improvement and our best Wr? GORE when he starts next year hell have crabtree morgan hill and hopefully davis that is 10x better than what he had in 2006 plus the oline is much much better than it was in 2006
The shoulder is NOT the only thing that will stop Smith. Don't you watch and understand football? Smith still has the same NATURAL INSTINCTS he had in 2006 -- NONE!
[ Edited by ezrider on Apr 28, 2009 at 6:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Niners23:
I have a gut feeling that Alex will have a breakout season as well. I think the only thing that could stop him is if the shoulder injury is much more serious that we had thought. I don't have a lot of evidence to support my theory, but I just believe in Alex, and feel he deserves another chance, and will hopefully prove himself.

If he happens to start this year, I sure hope you supporters our right.... for the fans sake! If not, I hope everyone is ready to eat crow as well.

As for me, I hope he has a breakout year if he starts! If he is riding the pine, I don't really care how good/bad he is.
  • gore4prez
  • Info N/A
Alex Smith Sucks ! The stats don't lie Anybody that does not agree is brainwashed by his suckiness.
Share 49ersWebzone