LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 210 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
NONE.

Reason 1 and only=

Every other season he has had, has been so bad, that relatively speaking, a poor season would be a breakout season.
Originally posted by BobS:
Just a question for all you Smith homers on the zone, is this also his " last chance year"? If Alex doesn't do anything of note in 2009 will you stop making excuses for him, and stop talking about his potential? Also realize Hill is just a "stop gap" fix and realize this franchise needs to risk another high draft choice or trade for a QB. Then when that happens label Smith the bust that he is? We have a first pick overall in the draft fighting a career 3rd stringer for starting QB and not many seem to see how really sad that is, especially from a franchise that had names like Tittle, Brodie, Montana, Young and even a guy named Garcia.

If we go with a high draft QB, we could have ourselves a Brees/Phillips situation.
I think the dismal viewpoints of some are discounting some facts. When we looked bad in camps we sucked in the season and the fact we have been looking pretty good does not infer we suck. Of course the season is different but prunes are prunes and apples are apples and each season is it's own fruit. I happen to think this team will fight pretty damn hard and while we may not win the superbowl, there are going to be some sore asses on opposing teams. One reason I am not pleased with Crabtree is that he might spread his rot to solid apples. I would rather he fungisize the Cowboys.
I am so glad we are only days away from seeing them play, & judging on what they do on the field. The endless dissertations on theories of why a player might turn out good, or why a player may not ever be good has been done to death with Smith & Hill. Just a lot of forum noise.
Just a question for all you Smith homers on the zone, is this also his " last chance year"? If Alex doesn't do anything of note in 2009 will you stop making excuses for him, and stop talking about his potential? Also realize Hill is just a "stop gap" fix and realize this franchise needs to risk another high draft choice or trade for a QB. Then when that happens label Smith the bust that he is? We have a first pick overall in the draft fighting a career 3rd stringer for starting QB and not many seem to see how really sad that is, especially from a franchise that had names like Tittle, Brodie, Montana, Young and even a guy named Garcia.

If Alex cannot get it done before his contract is up there could be no argument.I think some folks expected too much from a project QB and the coaching staff failed to handle the whole situation properly.I mean what the hell was the QB coach doing during the 05-06 seasons?The current QB coach seems to know how to coach up the QBs,hopefully he can fix Smith so we can use our picks next year on Eric Berry and a LT.I agree completely with your assessment of Hill,he is a stop gap measure at best.
GO ALEX SMITH!!!!

It has already been stated that this is Smith's last chance by pretty much everyone on the forum. And your so called "excuses" were facts and reasons in one of the Matt's blogs about what has kept Smith from reaching his potential. Now a question for you haters. If or when (however you want to view it) Smith finally takes control and wins games like he started to in 06 and before he was injured in 07 will you finally shut the fack up about bust this, bust that.
Originally posted by backontop:

It has already been stated that this is Smith's last chance by pretty much everyone on the forum. And your so called "excuses" were facts and reasons in one of the Matt's blogs about what has kept Smith from reaching his potential. Now a question for you haters. If or when (however you want to view it) Smith finally takes control and wins games like he started to in 06 and before he was injured in 07 will you finally shut the fack up about bust this, bust that.

Bob S you got owned homie.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Poor line protection? Well, it's pretty solid now.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Health issues? He will be ready to go this year. Knock on wood.

Coaching continuity? It seems we're finally putting together a great staff.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10344718

once he get's hit all the phisical tools you are talking about are gone out of the window , have not been watching the last 4-5 years !

• da209
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erForLife420:
GO ALEX SMITH!!!!

Originally posted by cNiner:
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Poor line protection? Well, it's pretty solid now.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Health issues? He will be ready to go this year. Knock on wood.

Coaching continuity? It seems we're finally putting together a great staff.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10344718

once he get's hit all the phisical tools you are talking about are gone out of the window , have not been watching the last 4-5 years !

4-5 years? Smith hasn't played healthy in an NFL regular season game since September 2007.
All other QBs have a down year?

Ahhh how refreshing. An actual realist. I don't know how most of you can pretend that this is not a pathetic situation
Originally posted by danimal:

Ahhh how refreshing. An actual realist. I don't know how most of you can pretend that this is not a pathetic situation

lol i agree
Share 49ersWebzone