LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 253 users in the forums

Reasons for an Alex Smith breakout season.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by oldman9er:
*sigh*

Quote:
"It's going to be interesting in San Francisco," Meyer said. "Alex is an extremely quick learner. However, he's a guy that, until he understands it, he is nonfunctional. He is a guy that -- I keep hearing how Brett Favre kind of makes something out of nothing and is a person that runs around to make a play -- Alex Smith is not that kind of player. Alex Smith is a person that, once he is taught, has to learn it all. He might struggle early, but once he gets it, he gets it."

"I'm going to be anxious to watch his development with the 49ers. Alex is so careful with the ball. His touchdown-to-interception ratio the last 2 years was phenomenal (47 touchdowns and seven interceptions). That's because, unless he knows exactly what's going on, he won't throw it. He won't just try to guess and take a shot. He has to know.

"That's why, early in his career, and early in our career with him at Utah, he was not an effective passer, because he really didn't understand. Once he understood, there was no one better. He learns quickly, though. But he's not a guy that you throw the ball out there and tell him, 'Go play.' He wants to know what is exactly expected of him and then he becomes a dynamite player.'

http://www.ninersnation.com/2008/7/19/574773/urban-meyer-on-49ers-qb-al

He will be fine as long as the staff is able to evaluate when the proper time is to unleash him. You knock his accuracy and his holding the ball too long, but these 2 things walk hand in hand with pass protection and scheme changes. The quote, "he has to know" stands out. No way was he gonna fully know what he was doing with this OC carousel. (yes, yes, more excuses) He was never in any circumstance that Meyer describes above. In other words, every thing that SF could do to make things impossible for him? They did, and then some. It is if they read these words from Meyer and decided to do the exact opposite of what he warned. Now, they have the opportunity to do things right, as Alex is still young. It probably will happen quickly when considering the experience (some good, most bad) that he has had to reflect on.

LOL thank you for pointing this out.

If anything it just goes to show how DUMB Mike Nolan and co were. You have the kids COLLEGE QB tell you EXACTLY what your 50 million dollar mans limitations are and gives you ingredients to make him successful and what does Mike do? "Nahhhh, ignore....what a noob that Meyer."

4 years later we have a QB competition.
Kevin Lynch had this to say in today's articlea bout practice:

"Alex Smith was the hands down winner of Saturday morning's session. He really excelled throwing to receivers who were working man-on-man against defensive backs. In one four-pass sequence, Smith hit Isaac Bruce on a perfectly-thrown long pass (who was well-guarded by rookie free-agent corner Carlos Thomas), then fired a on-the-money crossing route to Brandon Jones (Allen Rossum covering), then dropped a long touchdown pass to Mark Bradford (Jahi Word-Daniels covering) and finished hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant."

Interesting.
Originally posted by excelsior:

"Alex Smith was the hands down winner of Saturday morning's session. He really excelled throwing to receivers who were working man-on-man against defensive backs. In one four-pass sequence, Smith hit Isaac Bruce on a perfectly-thrown long pass (who was well-guarded by rookie free-agent corner Carlos Thomas), then fired a on-the-money crossing route to Brandon Jones (Allen Rossum covering), then dropped a long touchdown pass to Mark Bradford (Jahi Word-Daniels covering) and finished hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant."

Interesting.

While I am not a huge fan of Smith's by virtue of how he has played in the past ...... I find it encouraging to read reviews like this. While I don't think that he has ever been consistent enough I would love to see him quicken his release and become more accurate in placing his passes. It all helps the team.

Interesting.

Nice...it appears Alex is rounding into form and is exhibiting confidence to boot!
Originally posted by billybonka:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Why hasnt this A. Smith thread stopped yet??!!!???!!! Let him win the starting job and prove he deserves a chance to come back...THEN WE'll TALK!

You created your account a month before I did and you are calling me a Noob?? I think you need to STFU and think before you post stupid s**t!

Not to threadjack, but doesanyone see the irony of someone tatting their knuckles with "STFUNOOB" besides me?

They might as well have tatted "~NO~LIFE" across them instead. Coulda saved up and got MC Hammer bling and flashed that instead. At least they could throw it in their dresser caddy and later when they are needing money sent it in to some jewelry scam site and gotten a bit of it back.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Jun 8, 2009 at 12:38:15 ]
I was actually chuckling at the lil girly hands shown there.
Originally posted by TowelBoy:
The starting point for this analysis is the fact that Alex Smith was the #1 overall pick in the draft, with elite physical tools, measureables, and intangibles.

Now, he hasn't been successful at all, so the question you have to ask yourself is "why?" If all the reasons for his downfall seem to have been remedied by now, there is pretty good reason to suspect that as his young age and intelligence, Smith still has a breakout year in him.

Poor line protection? Well, it's pretty solid now.

Lack of weapons? Bruce is the man, Morgan is already a breakout performer, and Crabtree is a #1 prospect on the level of a Braylon Edwards/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin. And these aren't the only weapons.

Health issues? He will be ready to go this year. Knock on wood.

Coaching continuity? It seems we're finally putting together a great staff.

Now, I'll sign off with a reminder of Smith's best moment as a pro. This is when I thought he finally turned the corner and showed the "it" factor to be a stud. It was not to be at the time, but at least he has displayed the flashes.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/10344718

this
Nice post

I have no idea how missed it. Pretty much sums up why I STILL wear my A. Smith jersey around. That game against Arizona showed the signs - only problem was that he got hurt and was never able to build off of it...until this season.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Why hasnt this A. Smith thread stopped yet??!!!???!!! Let him win the starting job and prove he deserves a chance to come back...THEN WE'll TALK!

You created your account a month before I did and you are calling me a Noob?? I think you need to STFU and think before you post stupid s**t!

Not to threadjack, but doesanyone see the irony of someone tatting their knuckles with "STFUNOOB" besides me?

They might as well have tatted "~NO~LIFE" across them instead. Coulda saved up and got MC Hammer bling and flashed that instead. At least they could throw it in their dresser caddy and later when they are needing money sent it in to some jewelry scam site and gotten a bit of it back.

~Ceadder

Probly some World of Warcraft Junkie....
Originally posted by BigMar:
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
I'm among those that want Alex to succeed. However, every bit of positive news such as this is going to turn every thread into another Alex / Shaun pissing match.

How about we just let the thing play itself out (as it will) and then see what happens.

What some folks don't recognize is that Shaun Hill is who he is...what you see is what you get. Shaun skill level is capped out.

On the other hand Alex Smith has not reached his maximun skill potential. Alex still has quite a bit of upside. Will it finally show up now....stay tuned!

Interesting.

Dats what weez talken abouts!

Interesting.

"...hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant." ???!!!

That can't be right. Haven't you heard? According to a number of experts around here, he can't make that throw.
Originally posted by BrodieFan:

Interesting.

"...hitting Michael Spurlock on a quick slant." ???!!!

That can't be right. Haven't you heard? According to a number of experts around here, he can't make that throw.

He can't that is just another alexuse... wait that doesn't work. you got me on that one

~Ceadder

I would seriously laugh at a kid with that noob s**t tattooed on himself ,it must be a kid cause no man would have that crappy tat.I bet his mommy is pissed at him,probably grounded him from world of warcraft for a month.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

~Ceadder

I would seriously laugh at a kid with that noob s**t tattooed on himself ,it must be a kid cause no man would have that crappy tat.I bet his mommy is pissed at him,probably grounded him from world of warcraft for a month.

How did you all get the picture of my tats? That guy said he was going to throw those pictures away. I need to contact my attorney.
Share 49ersWebzone