LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

Shawntae Spencer

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
for those who keep saying he sucks or gets burnt.... can you give me a example(s) of him getting burned or sucking....

vs. Chicago, first series, 2007 preseason.

vs. New Orleans, 2007.

Colston embarrasses him.

where does Colston embarrass him... I see Colston (A ProBowler) burning Walt Harris left and right....as well as Nate Clements....

the only play where is seems like Colston burned Spencer, was a on a flea flicker....god knows if Spencer was suppose to get help over the top on this play....

and he had great positioning on Colston on that toss up in the endzone.... Colston just made an incredible play.....

One of the main reason I like Spencer is because, while Mike Rumph and our other cbs struggled for a couple of years (3-4)to even play adequate..... Spencer played great in his second year....and currently he is one our biggest DB and also one of our fast cbs.... I think it would be a good idea to see how he does this year, because we need him against Arizona's WRs....

I think some didn't really notice how much worse our secondary played last year after Spencer was injured.....or it seemed like it...
Spencer will be lucky to make the team. He makes too many mental mistakes to offset his good plays. Consistency is vital for a DB and he is not consistent.
Originally posted by ezrider:
Spencer will be lucky to make the team. He makes too many mental mistakes to offset his good plays. Consistency is vital for a DB and he is not consistent.

His job is definetly safe. I think Marcus Hudson should be worrying alittle more about his job the Spencer
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Originally posted by ezrider:

His job is definetly safe. I think Marcus Hudson should be worrying alittle more about his job the Spencer

Agreed.

Hudson has never made it beyond #4 CB status.

Spencer has started. Unless it's in a cap move, Spencer isn't going anywhere.
Originally posted by ninerfan21:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
for those who keep saying he sucks or gets burnt.... can you give me a example(s) of him getting burned or sucking....

vs. Chicago, first series, 2007 preseason.

vs. New Orleans, 2007.

You're bringing preseason into this?

Figuring it was game 3 of the preseason and Spencer FELL DOWN trying to cover Bernard Berrian on the first series... yes I am bringing preseason into it.
I think he will be a big wildcard. If healthy he could probably be a decent #2 CB who is big enough to provide decent runstop support alongside clements. I would love to see Brown step up and pass him though. Regardless the team hopefully will have some depth at CB with Clements, Harris, Brown, Spencer and Smith. I hate to say it but I think Walt gets put in the slot CB position on nickel by the midpoint with Brown or Spencer passing him. Age is a b***h.
  • dj43
Spencer will have to prove he is healthy if he is to make the team. However, when he is fully healthy, he is solid.

He was quick enough to stay with just about anyone and was the best tackler of all the secondary until Nate joined the team. Even then, there isn't a big gap.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
There is no....If he's healthy or if he wins a role on this team....Spencer is a lock for 09'. We don't have the depth and the TALENT at the position to afford to let go of one of our better defenders. Yes he hasn't developed into what we want from him but he has shown the ability to be a solid player.
spencer is a decent #2 and a very good #3. Name a few other #3 cb's that are better. The niners have one of the best secondaries in the league, especially cb's
I like Spencer and his skill set. However, if he can't stay healthy this year, we seriously got to get rid of him.

Eddie Murphy needs to stay healthy first
Where is he? Is he still hurt? I cant recall seeing him on the field.
He took Bly's spot when he went out.

I wasn't impressed at all at Clements play tonight. Got that horrible P.I. call then burned for a TD. What's the opposite of lock down?

Way to talk s**t during practice then get burned multiple times during the game. Has this guy really lived up to his big contract?
Originally posted by global_nomad:

I wasn't impressed at all at Clements play tonight. Got that horrible P.I. call then burned for a TD. What's the opposite of lock down?

Way to talk s**t during practice then get burned multiple times during the game. Has this guy really lived up to his big contract?

Why you trying to thread hijack? I thought this was supposed to be about Spencer.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by global_nomad:

Ummm, locked up.

Seriously though I'm with you, Clements actually makes me wonder sometimes WTF is he doing.
Share 49ersWebzone