There are 226 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Wow, shocker!!! Another Battle-bashing post. Original. Genius. Creative. Can't wait for the next one. Went through withdrawals after the 3,476th anti-Battle posts was written a few weeks ago. Just needed another to get through the day. Thanks.

For the record, Battle led the team in receptions through Week 8, even though he was a backup.

But, who needs to keep their leading receiver, and best blocking WR? Very overrated.

P.S. It may extremely difficult for some to comprehend, and some who live in a fantasy world refuse to embrace, but Battle played every game in 2006, every game in 2007 and played the first half of 2008. That would be at least 40+ consecutive games, for those of you playing at home. Can we end the urban legend that he is "always hurt"? A consecutive streak of 40+ games is "always hurt". Now, that is legendary brilliance. Only the true genius of many Webzone members could cultivate and buy this turdish argumentation. 2006 and 2007, and the first half of 2008 never happened. A miracle!!! Congratulations, Club Mensa!!!!

Maybe, just maybe, someone will actually write an accurate and fair post on Battle someday. Until then, lunacy will continue to reign.

P.S. "Now, MadDog, you are being mean again. You think you are so smart, and look down on us. How dare you?" Blah, blah, blah, blah.

And......Eric Heitmann is still a good football player.

I was wondering when, and if, you were going to show up and join those of us who have been posting in support of Battle in this thread. There are several of us, but we appear to be in the minority in this thread, (which probably does not reflect the consensus of the entire zone about Battle).

However, I've got to say, the tone of your post does not appear to be very helpful to those of us who have tried to support and defend Battle in this thread.

Angrily ranting insults at those who dare to express a negative opinion about Battle at this stage of his career seems unlikely to change anyone's mind about him. Nor does it allow the more factual, and reasonable parts of your argument in favor of Battle to appear in their most persuasive light.

P.S. Its surprising that someone who taught psychology at the college level wouldn't realize this.

My tone is intended to whack the same mindless people who continuously infiltrate the board, spewing all kinds of misinformation, especially against players who have been classy performers for our team.

Any two-bit moron (some would say I qualify for this title) can go to NFL.com, type in Arnaz Battle, and review his playing career. And yet, this "always injured" statement emerges almost every other week, on a new and stale anti-Battle rant.

Haven't we been on this path.....for about the 1000th time. Every offseason, Battle is the pariah of this team, the guy we should cut. And every year, he goes out there and outperforms the trail of WR carcasses we've had on this team: Bryant, Jackson, Lelie, Johnson. And, yet, as soon as a new year emerges, here comes the same warn out, beat up argument. Let's dump him again. Surely someone remembers the Lelie-Battle arguments on this board in both 2007 and 2008.

Did any of these anti-Battle people who write these anti-Battle threads even watch the first half of 2008. Did they watch the games in 2007 and 2006? I think a profound whacking is fair game. And justly deserved. I will not coddle ignorance and prejudice. Do I sound like Dr. King at this point....

When will people learn, Arnaz Battle is a cockroach in a nuclear holocaust. It will not die.

Thanks for your kind comments, but you have to remember that my monicker is MadDog, not PlayfulPup. And, you will notice that I am much more pleasant in the other forum.

Oh no, the chihuahua is angry again because other posters don't agree with him. How dare they! Be careful, he is about to go on a whackfest AGAIN.
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM ]
We have plenty of WR and with Bruce coming back Battle is expendable
Originally posted by kronik:
Wow, shocker!!! Another Battle-bashing post. Original. Genius. Creative. Can't wait for the next one. Went through withdrawals after the 3,476th anti-Battle posts was written a few weeks ago. Just needed another to get through the day. Thanks.

For the record, Battle led the team in receptions through Week 8, even though he was a backup.

But, who needs to keep their leading receiver, and best blocking WR? Very overrated.

P.S. It may extremely difficult for some to comprehend, and some who live in a fantasy world refuse to embrace, but Battle played every game in 2006, every game in 2007 and played the first half of 2008. That would be at least 40+ consecutive games, for those of you playing at home. Can we end the urban legend that he is "always hurt"? A consecutive streak of 40+ games is "always hurt". Now, that is legendary brilliance. Only the true genius of many Webzone members could cultivate and buy this turdish argumentation. 2006 and 2007, and the first half of 2008 never happened. A miracle!!! Congratulations, Club Mensa!!!!

Maybe, just maybe, someone will actually write an accurate and fair post on Battle someday. Until then, lunacy will continue to reign.

P.S. "Now, MadDog, you are being mean again. You think you are so smart, and look down on us. How dare you?" Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I was wondering when, and if, you were going to show up and join those of us who have been posting in support of Battle in this thread. There are several of us, but we appear to be in the minority in this thread, (which probably does not reflect the consensus of the entire zone about Battle).

However, I've got to say, the tone of your post does not appear to be very helpful to those of us who have tried to support and defend Battle in this thread.

Angrily ranting insults at those who dare to express a negative opinion about Battle at this stage of his career seems unlikely to change anyone's mind about him. Nor does it allow the more factual, and reasonable parts of your argument in favor of Battle to appear in their most persuasive light.

P.S. Its surprising that someone who taught psychology at the college level wouldn't realize this.

My tone is intended to whack the same mindless people who continuously infiltrate the board, spewing all kinds of misinformation, especially against players who have been classy performers for our team.

Any two-bit moron (some would say I qualify for this title) can go to NFL.com, type in Arnaz Battle, and review his playing career. And yet, this "always injured" statement emerges almost every other week, on a new and stale anti-Battle rant.

Haven't we been on this path.....for about the 1000th time. Every offseason, Battle is the pariah of this team, the guy we should cut. And every year, he goes out there and outperforms the trail of WR carcasses we've had on this team: Bryant, Jackson, Lelie, Johnson. And, yet, as soon as a new year emerges, here comes the same warn out, beat up argument. Let's dump him again. Surely someone remembers the Lelie-Battle arguments on this board in both 2007 and 2008.

Did any of these anti-Battle people who write these anti-Battle threads even watch the first half of 2008. Did they watch the games in 2007 and 2006? I think a profound whacking is fair game. And justly deserved. I will not coddle ignorance and prejudice. Do I sound like Dr. King at this point....

When will people learn, Arnaz Battle is a cockroach in a nuclear holocaust. It will not die.

Thanks for your kind comments, but you have to remember that my monicker is MadDog, not PlayfulPup. And, you will notice that I am much more pleasant in the other forum.

Oh no, the chihuahua is angry again because other posters don't agree with him. How dare they! Be careful, he is about to go on a whackfest AGAIN.

Because you were the innocent target of a previous "whackfest," your residual ire is understandable. However, may I suggest that bringing up past disagreements and problems may not be the best way to encourage civil discussions and debates.

MadDog (and others) may need to be more patient with some of us, but equally, we need to forgive and forget any past, perceived transgressions for which we might blame him (and others). IMO.

Let's move on, stick to discussing and debating the issues, and forget about trying to "whack" other posters, whether its deserved or not.
Wow, really? In the last 3 years Battle has played in 39 out of 48 games. During those 3 years, 2 of them he led our receivers and last year he was having a solid year until being hurt. He has very few drops and is an extremely reliable WR.

And now people are bumping him off the roster because of .....Zeigler? The guy as thin as a rail with a total of 5 receptions in his career when our offense moves towards a run power offense? Who is Zeigler going to block, the other team's coach?

Obviously if Battle is still hurt come TC, his roster spot may be in jeopardy, but as they say, the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Wow, really? In the last 3 years Battle has played in 39 out of 48 games. During those 3 years, 2 of them he led our receivers and last year he was having a solid year until being hurt. He has very few drops and is an extremely reliable WR.

And now people are bumping him off the roster because of .....Zeigler? The guy as thin as a rail with a total of 5 receptions in his career when our offense moves towards a run power offense? Who is Zeigler going to block, the other team's coach?

Obviously if Battle is still hurt come TC, his roster spot may be in jeopardy, but as they say, the rumors of his death have been greatly exaggerated.

I think most NFL coaches would lay Ziegler out if he tried to block them.

Because you were the innocent target of a previous "whackfest," your residual ire is understandable. However, may I suggest that bringing up past disagreements and problems may not be the best way to encourage civil discussions and debates.

MadDog (and others) may need to be more patient with some of us, but equally, we need to forgive and forget any past, perceived transgressions for which we might blame him (and others). IMO.

Let's move on, stick to discussing and debating the issues, and forget about trying to "whack" other posters, whether its deserved or not.

Much respect to you oldtimer. You obviously understand how to debate rather than lash out towards people who don't share your opinion.

Unfortunately, MD has too much of an ego to ever practice civil discussions and debates. He will never have the patience, guaranteed. Some people are just like that (usually they had some sort of trauma that caused them to hate the world so much).

In this thread, I haven't seen anyone attack Battle as a person or belittle his past achievements or provide faulty data. Yet, this guy acts as if his mother just got raped. He gets so angry that people feel Battle is injury prone.

Could it be possible that people feel he is injury prone because he misses so many practices and mini-camps?

Could people subconciously feel he is injury prone by reading the tidbits "so and so missed practice today" at the end of most Niner articles throughout the years?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM ]

Lol. Very nicely stated.

It bears repeating, that Battle's season ending injury last year was a foot injury, nothing to do with his chronic knee problems.

Much respect to you oldtimer. You obviously understand how to debate rather than lash out towards people who don't share your opinion.

Unfortunately, MD has too much of an ego to ever practice civil discussions and debates. He will never have the patience, guaranteed. Some people are just like that (usually they had some sort of trauma that caused them to hate the world so much).

In this thread, I haven't seen anyone attack Battle as a person or belittle his past achievements or provide faulty data. Yet, this guy acts as if his mother just got raped. He gets so angry that people feel Battle is injury prone.

Could it be possible that people feel he is injury prone because he misses so many practices and mini-camps?

Could people subconciously feel he is injury prone by reading the tidbits "so and so missed practice today" at the end of most Niner articles throughout the years?

It is true that MadDog's original post may have been a bit of a "knee jerk" reaction to what he thought was just another in a series of "anti-Battle" threads. If so, then perhaps he was mistaken.

Haven't we all made a mistake or two, at times.

I disagree with your premise that MadDog is permanently "mad." As MadDog, himself, points out, he is much "more pleasant" in the Draft Forum, for example. Which means that he could be much more patient in Niner Talk as well, should he choose to be so.

Frankly, I cannot think of a forum where patience is more necessary, all the time.

So, please be patient with MadDog, as you are with others. He really is very knowledgeable, and articulate (except perhaps when he is trying to "whack" someone), and the Zone would be a less informative place without his input. IMHO.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

It bears repeating, that Battle's season ending injury last year was a foot injury, nothing to do with his chronic knee problems.

You obviously don't get it, old man. So, let me go through the drill with you.
1) Find a player you don't like. Pick a player, any player.
2) Give no explanation why you don't like him.
3) Make up all kinds of false statements against that player. Error-plagued stats, flat out lies, just make stuff up.
4) Watch a large chunk of the board buy these faulty arguments.

Get on board, old man.

P.S. The joy, of course, is there is no accountability. It doesn't matter if your statements are true or false, because we should all embrace your right to post.

When someone with more than two brain cells comes around to denounce the error-filled argument, you can call them all kinds of mean names. How dare they attempt to correct your error! How arrogant! The truth doesn't matter; we just want to make sure everyone has the right to post, that nobody has their feelings hurt.

Cheers, my friend!
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM ]

Lol. Very nicely stated.

1) Find a player you don't like.
3) Make up all kinds of false statements against that player.
4) Watch the board buy these faulty argument.

Get on board, old man.

P.S. The joy, of course, is there is no accountability. It doesn't matter if your statements are true or false, because we should all embrace your right to post.

When someone with more than two brain cells comes around to denounce the error-filled argument, you can call them all kinds of mean names. How dare they attempt to correct your error! How arrogant! The truth doesn't matter; we just want to make sure everyone has the right to post, that nobody has their feelings hurt.

Cheers, my friend!

Although I see your point as to the first portion of your post--there are some who post who have taken a dislike to some player or another, and resort to bashing that player. Sometimes they do so after others, who are paying closer attention, have analysed a player's abilities and correctly criticized the player's contributions. (TBC comes to mind.)

As to the second part of your post, however, the attempt to correct or challenge a mistaken argument, I think that many posters are willing to listen to reason, and pay attention to facts, and may be swayed somewhat by statistics. The key is to present such information without losing one's temper with those who may not pay attention to the details in the first place. Hard to change someone's mind while you're calling them names, even if the name calling is in retaliation. IMHO.

I must disagree with your statement that "there is no accountability." No one wants to get "owned" by making an entirely erroneous post--and that's what happens when someone gets caught posting completely incorrect information. If it happens often enough, then that person loses their credibility.

BTW, who's this "old man" to whom you are speaking? (FYI, "old dude" is not the same as "old man," I just didn't want to be mistaken for a 13 year old).
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM ]

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

Although I see your point as to the first portion of your post--there are some who post who have taken a dislike to some player or another, and resort to bashing that player. Sometimes they do so after others, who are paying closer attention, have analysed a player's abilities and correctly criticized the player's contributions. (TBC comes to mind.)

As to the second part of your post, however, the attempt to correct or challenge a mistaken argument, I think that many posters are willing to listen to reason, and pay attention to facts, and may be swayed somewhat by statistics. The key is to present such information without losing one's temper with those who may not pay attention to the details in the first place. Hard to change someone's mind while you're calling them names, even if the name calling is in retaliation. IMHO.

I must disagree with your statement that "there is no accountability." No one wants to get "owned" by making an entirely erroneous post--and that's what happens when someone gets caught posting completely incorrect information. If it happens often enough, then that person loses their credibility.

BTW, who's this "old man" to whom you are speaking? (FYI, "old dude" is not the same as "old man," I just didn't want to be mistaken for a 13 year old).

You get the craziest fans on the 'Zone though.

I'll never forget how big the Cody Pickett bandwagon was. Every single year, there is a large portion of the 'Zoners who pick some career backup/ practice squad player and are completely convinced that he is not only far better then the starter, but in fact a future Hall of Famer.

Edit: But I have to admit, I made my own major blunder. I use to think Barlow was going to be awesome
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Apr 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM ]

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

I'll never forget how big the Cody Pickett bandwagon was. Every single year, there is a large portion of the 'Zoners who pick some career backup/ practice squad player and are completely convinced that he is not only far better then the starter, but in fact a future Hall of Famer.

Edit: But I have to admit, I made my own major blunder. I use to think Barlow was going to be awesome

I think it's natural to root for an underdog, for a guy who's outworking his competition, who's making the most of whatever talent he's got. Like a Cody Pickett.

Its also natural to get down on a guy with a relatively big contract who's not performing up to expectations. Like TBC.

What we hope to see in the Zone is a balance between these natural inclinations, and some factual analyses. Some guys may miss something about a player, or may overlook something about a player (i.e., "Lelie has elite speed" but can't find his way out of the training room), but not everyone will be blinded.

And if the guys who have more detailed information, and a more factual analysis, are able to reasonably articulate what they see and think, then the rest of us benefit, as long as we can have reasonable discussions and debates. Without the name calling. IMHO.

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

The thing that's unusual in this debate though is no one is saying Battle should be a starter. We are just talking about depth at the WR position, and Battle happens to be a decent veteran, signed through the 2009 season. But for whatever reason there are a group of fans that can't wait to run him out of town. The rush to cut players under contract before having better ones doesn't make a lot of sense to me - especially in a position that needs at least five players.
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

The thing that's unusual in this debate though is no one is saying Battle should be a starter. We are just talking about depth at the WR position, and Battle happens to be a decent veteran, signed through the 2009 season. But for whatever reason there are a group of fans that can't wait to run him out of town. The rush to cut players under contract before having better ones doesn't make a lot of sense to me - especially in a position that needs at least five players.

Yeah I agree. Battle will be fighting for a starting a spot and some people want us to cut him?
Originally posted by djfullshred:

Lol. Very nicely stated.

Get on board, old man.

Cheers, my friend!

One only needs to consider what the state of the WR corps would be like if Bruce had decided to retire, or if he were to go down with an injury. Battle adds valuable depth and experience at the position, and has always been productive. No reason to expect he'd be otherwise this year.

Of course, if we draft Crabtree at #10, then the competition at WR gets very interesting for all concerned, including Battle.
Share 49ersWebzone