There are 133 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

• sfgo2fivewin5
  • Info N/A
sorry but im one of those who thinks that battle is expendible at this point, he played well on terrible teams end of story. For now he is just taking up a roster spot that we can use on developing a young player. battle will be 30 next year and is beginning to become injury prone. This is not to bash him its just the business side of the thing he is making 1.49 mill in 2009 and that is too much for his production. And with Bruce now back we have that veteran presence that would have justified Battle staying if bruce had not.
Definetly. Experienced player who bleeds red and gold. Hes a jack of all trades and when hes healthy he makes plays. Solid core member of our team. And a leader on our team.
[ Edited by Grigga2021 on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:06 AM ]
What does he provide? He has been hurt a lot, but keeping him on the roster keeps guys like Hill and Ziegler on the sideline. I am not saying either is going to be great, but at least they have some upside. Battle used to be the 3rd down sure hands guys, well I think Bruce takes care of that plus way more.

I like him, he has been one of the few bright spots on this team the few year but he gives us nothing really.
His knee issues are a problem....

Besides with Bruce coming back and the Niners probably taking a WR in the draft...let him move on.

Give the young guys a chance.
  • Drewski84
  • Info N/A
he's been a reliable 3rd down receiver when healthy but guess what... he's never healthy!

it's time to move on with our new young core of morgan, jones, hill, and bruce. keep battle, but in all honesty i'd like to see zeigler get playing time over battle. we have to see what these young players can bring to the games.

how many receivers do the niners usually keep? about 6 i think, so if we don't get another 6th round steal like josh morgan last year than i think battles got his roster spot.
YES battle is a jack of all trades...He has had a couple of injuries but has the heart of a champion...he is a goto guy on 3rd down sure hands great blocker and team player...We should keep him and keep him in the rotation! Im all for getting fresh legs on the field every down !!!! its only gonna tire out the D!! This year more than any of the past 5 years we have the WR core to do so....
  • Socal49erFan
  • Info N/A
We are going to be a Fysical running team. Battle is our Hines Ward. He is a great downfield blocker from the WR position. He definitely hasnt hurt frank gore's numbers.

Battle might not be the best WR who played the game but I would keep him in on short yardage situations, because of his possession receiving and run blocking skills.

And what is this thing about 30 being to old to play ball? Bruce is like 36 and Battle is only around 30. Isnt James Harrison 30 and now just reaching his full potential? If this guy was Lelie or someone who never produced in his life then yes I would be down on him. But he has definitely produced, even with the duck throwers we gave him to work with the past few seasons.
  • carl
  • Veteran
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.
I'd like to keep him. But with Bruce coming back, the Zeigler rise, and a rookie coming in, there has to be a fall guy/numbers cruncher guy and Battle seems to be it
No. Bruce is Captain 3rd down conversion. Battle is Captain Insignificant.

Ziegler is Captain Can't Block and very likely will not make the team
[ Edited by ezrider on Apr 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM ]

• GeecheeNiner
  • Info N/A
Just think about why the Patriots kept Troy Brown around for all them years. The guy is an asset to our team. He is a good possesion receiver and and great down field blocker...

PD
Every off season people ask about cutting battle. I'll eat a five dollar bill if he doesn't make the team.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Every off season people ask about cutting battle. I'll eat a five dollar bill if he doesn't make the team.

I hear you, but If we're gonna also draft a WR, then someone will have to go( Bruce, Hill, Morgan, Jones, Zeigler, Rookie) That's 6 WR's. and we have to be aware of the numbers. Most teams keep only 5 WR's, but if we keep 6, Battle will have to send one of the above to the un-employment line.
Originally posted by carl:
Battle is Captain 3rd Down Conversion.

So is Brandon Jones.
Battle has never broken 700 yards. He's 29 already. Played 9 games last year. This guy screams mediocre. I would much rather give the spot to Ziegler or a young draft pick. Lets just move on from Battle who played hard for us when we had crap talent but never could shine on his own when he started.
As fans, we shouldn't get attached to mediocre players on a team that doesn't make the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone