There are 174 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

• 52Willis52
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by cools:
I voted Yes, but it wouldnt ruin my day if he was released...

But, I remember reading somthing Martz said about his route running, I dont have a link for it, but he kinda ripped on him for it, In another article I think they showed that more then half of O'Sullys picks were passes intended for Battle, which also brought up the route running/system learning problem that Battle seemed to be having.
Add the lingering knee Injury, and he drops down pretty far on the Depth Chart

So basicly im undecided, lol

If that's true, JTO must have been a good sport, and could still be exonerated. Battle could have just been a victim of Martz complicated and demanding system, so I expect him to do better now. All that side, Battle shores up the young and inexperienced WR core, I'd be surprise to see him go.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
I would imagine that we will draft a WR. Then TC will determine who stays and who has to go. If Battle is ready to continue then hopefully he will win his place on the team. We have a variety of people who will not make the team. I. Bruce, Morgan, Hill, and Evans are almost certain locks. So then it will be the rookie and maybe one more player.

You mean Brandon Jones?
I'm kind of on the fencepost about him...when healthy, he's a good player...not a great receiver, but pretty reliable, good blocker, etc. We have upgraded our receiving corps...with youngsters Hill and Morgan now getting to show their stuff, Battle would have less of a role. Throw in newcomer Brandon Jones and the return of Bruce, that doesn't leave much for Arnaz. We'll see..if he can stay healthy, he's got a shot to be the 5th WR. If we draft a good WR...say, a Patrick Turner, Battle could also become the odd man out.
No.
At this point, yes. After the draft, maybe.

If we draft a WR in the first two rounds, then it may times to part ways with Battle. He has had chronic knee issues and has hit his ceiling.

He does have the intangibles - good team player, good blocking, can make critical catches but i think that it may be time for someone else to step up and take this role.

If it came down to it, I would keep Battle over Ziegler.

-9fA
The only ways I see him making the team are 1) if we keep 6 receivers on the roster, 2) if someone gets injured or 3) ifwe only draft a receiver in the late rounds who's placed on the practice squad. With Bruce probably only playing 1 more year, might the Niners consider keeping 6 receivers? I doubt it, but if they draft a receiver who makes the roster, they might just so they don't lose Battle or Ziegler (probably Ziegler because of his upside). Battle's ST ability might not be enough to keep him around if it means keeping 6 receivers.
battle is a solid slot receiver and would be a great backup.. why cut him if he's been our biggest playmaker at WR when healthy ? cut zeigler, hudson, roman, etc.. keep battle
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm kind of on the fencepost about him...when healthy, he's a good player...not a great receiver, but pretty reliable, good blocker, etc. We have upgraded our receiving corps...with youngsters Hill and Morgan now getting to show their stuff, Battle would have less of a role. Throw in newcomer Brandon Jones and the return of Bruce, that doesn't leave much for Arnaz. We'll see..if he can stay healthy, he's got a shot to be the 5th WR. If we draft a good WR...say, a Patrick Turner, Battle could also become the odd man out.

I have to agree when healthy he has always helped the team. It is a good sign when your WR core is improved enough that there are fewer locks to make it. I have to agree there are gonna be some battles to make the squad this season and Battle will be in the midst of it.
  • Mex49
Seeing that we are still terrible until proven otherwise, shouldn't we keep the good guy?
Originally posted by Mex49:
Seeing that we are still terrible until proven otherwise, shouldn't we keep the good guy?

And who gets cut or placed on the practice squad to free up a roster spot for him? Or do we not draft a WR or draft a WR but place him on the PS? Or do we carry 6 WRs just so Battle can stay on the team? I like Battle and won't bash him because he's been refreshingly reliable during some dismal times, but it comes down to numbers.

The interesting thing is the following year assuming Bruce retires and we draft a WR this year, we'll have Jones, Morgan, Hill and this year's draftee. A veteran like Battle could play an important veteran role even if he doesn't see a lot of game time. But do you keep him around this year with the expectation that Bruce will retire next offseason? If you release him now, you'll end up paying a lot more for a veteran in FA next offseason. The numbers aren't in his favor at the moment, but Bruce's expected retirement might be enough for the Niners to make room for Battle this year.

To that you then have to ask, will Bruce actually retire next time around, and will we even need a veteran presence if he does? Our youngsters might be mature enough in a year.

• GORO
  • Veteran
If Alex Smith is the starter then Battle should be on the team. They have chemistry together. But if Shaun Hill is the starter they should go younger with Zeigler or a draft pick
the only guy who is not worth it at this point, is brandon jones. the guy is a waste. the only thing he will do is hold either morgan or hill or both back. still can't believe they gave him a 16-mio-contract...
  • sfgo2fivewin5
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by zugschef:
the only guy who is not worth it at this point, is brandon jones. the guy is a waste. the only thing he will do is hold either morgan or hill or both back. still can't believe they gave him a 16-mio-contract...

He is only 26, the contract is spread out over 5 yrs and only 5.4 mill guaranteed, worth a try for very little money
  • IronOrr1685
  • Info N/A
Yes... when we run the ball. Nothing like a good blocker.
If we draft a receiver, cut him. If not, keep him. Simple as that. He provides solid depth.
Share 49ersWebzone