There are 216 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Meh, I don't think anyone on this team who's 29+ with chronic knee problems should be just handed a roster spot.

Battle a key contributor? To what? Us having a losing record the past 7 yrs?

I have nothing against the guy, but he's nothing special.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.

People don't know what Zeigler can bring to the table. Everyone knows what Battle brings, and it isn't much. I think people are tired of the mediocrity and would rather see what the young guys on the team can do instead of seeing the same irrelevant "production" from a guy like Battle. Battle has only had a few GOOD games since he was drafted. That's not good enough.

You don't think the coaching staff knows what Zeigler can contribute?

Anyone paying attention has seen his ability to contribute on the field. He's got some ability catching the ball, meaning he can make some catches in traffic. However, he's very thin, and doesn't appear to be a very good downfield blocker, and his ability to gain yards after the catch is questionable. He showed guts when they put him in at punt returner, but also made some bad mental mistakes, and showed little, if any promise there.

The coaching staff certainly knows what Battle brings to the table, and they know what Ziegler brings as well--and there's a reason Ziegler was only a PS player for the past two seasons and not on the active roster with Battle.

The coaching staff obviously didn't know what Shaun Hill brought to the table until he was given a chance on gameday. So no, the coaching staff does not know what Zeigler brings to the table ON GAMEDAY because he hasn't been given the chance to show them. They only know what he can do on the practice field, which means nothing at all on Sunday.

Gee, I could have sworn I saw him suited up, on the active roster, and playing on gameday last season.

So, although I see your point regarding the difference between how a guy performs on the practice field vs. during a game (what was the name of that other WR who used to tear it up in practice and do nothing in games, Taylor Jacobs?), I still believe the coaching staff knows what they've got in Zeigler, as well as with Battle.

Just my opinion. No offense intended.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM ]
  • Dino
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bjghum:
Meh, I don't think anyone on this team who's 29+ with chronic knee problems should be just handed a roster spot.

^^^^^^^ worrrrd
Maybe Not. Rossum is a better KR and PR. He's obviously not going to beat out Morgan or Bruce. I could see him being cut in June. However he is a vet and a good backup player.
I think Hill has supplanted Battle as our "third down guy". Battle is not Hines Ward. He's Randle El, and that's not a positive assessment. I'd rather see Bruce, Morgan, and Hill on the majority of snaps this season.

I am not saying that he is a "key contributor" whatever that means, or that he should be "handed" a roster spot. He has been a contributor, however, in the past, and given the level of success the team has had, its easy enough to argue that any positive contribution was "key."

Its true that Battle probably does not strike much fear into the hearts of opposing defensive coordinators or DBs. I'm not saying he's gonna be all pro, or carry the team on his back, or anything like that.

But if the only vet presence is Bruce, then that puts enormous pressure on Morgan, Hill and even Jones. So, if Battle is fully recovered from his injuries, and capable of performing at the level he was performing at before, it seems likely he makes the active roster, IMHO.

I am not saying that he is a "key contributor" whatever that means, or that he should be "handed" a roster spot. He has been a contributor, however, in the past, and given the level of success the team has had, its easy enough to argue that any positive contribution was "key."

Its true that Battle probably does not strike much fear into the hearts of opposing defensive coordinators or DBs. I'm not saying he's gonna be all pro, or carry the team on his back, or anything like that.

But if the only vet presence is Bruce, then that puts enormous pressure on Morgan, Hill and even Jones. So, if Battle is fully recovered from his injuries, and capable of performing at the level he was performing at before, it seems likely he makes the active roster, IMHO.

I hear where you're coming from.

But I say LET the pressure be on Morgan, Hill, and Jones. We can't coddle draft picks anf F/As forever. This will be Hill's 3rd yr, 2nd for Morgan, and 5th? for Jones.

We need to see if these guys are any good.
Let a younger guy beat him out for the spot. Why does franchise keep choosing to $hit on the guys who didnt leave via free agency for better teams. Stuck it out through bad times. Played hard. Let a younger TAKE HIS SPOT.
I say trade him, we won't get much but something is better than nothing
Def. keep him.

Remember he was one of the two WR's last year that went over 100 yards (in respect to Bruce). he had 7 catches 120 yards that game. He is also a very good blocker.

Think of our depth chart like this.

Bruce Morgan
Battle/Hill Jones

One injury to Morgan, or Hill who have been injury plagued throughout their short careers, and he is back in the rotation. Yes I know, Battle has also fought through injuries, but he has a very reasonable contract and he is working hard to get back.

hasnt been worth a roster spot for the last 2 years
Wow, rough crowd.

If I'm not mistaken, Battle was either leading the team or 2nd in receptions when he got injuried last season. I can't remember which...........

Upon further review........Through WK8 of 2008: Battle 24 catches, Bruce 23 catches. Battle didn't play in another game after WK8.
24 receptions in 8 games isn't GREAT by any means, but it was tops on the team. Isn't that worth anything???
[ Edited by AKfanster on Apr 2, 2009 at 2:26 PM ]
Originally posted by sfgo2fivewin5:
sorry but im one of those who thinks that battle is expendible at this point, he played well on terrible teams end of story. For now he is just taking up a roster spot that we can use on developing a young player. battle will be 30 next year and is beginning to become injury prone. This is not to bash him its just the business side of the thing he is making 1.49 mill in 2009 and that is too much for his production. And with Bruce now back we have that veteran presence that would have justified Battle staying if bruce had not.

C'mon sfgo, even YOU have to admit that Battle has been our most consistent Receiver since T.O. left the building.

You really would get rid of consistency for ??? Don't get me wrong I like Morgan and Hill but they are pretty much the same type of WR. I believe that even if he was kept around only for Special Teams duty that he would still be as consistent as he has been over his career with us. You don't get rid of someone like that just because he is deemed "expendable". You only do that when you have a solid replacement on hand and then ONLY if they have a big $$$ contract, which Battle does not.

Now if you were to ask me if Shaun Hill is expendable? I would say yes. And here is why; He has proven that he could start for the right team or be at least a solid backup for those teams whose QBs' are known to be injury prone. I think that Hill would be better suited to play for Tampa, Philly, Seattle(YES I said it) or with Green Bay. They use the WCO(or some form of it) which is better suited for his style of play. Also if there is a time to deal any QB it is now and it has to be Shaun Hill to take advantage of his success, as well as the limited amount of time that he'll be able to play.

I know that there are those that will poo poo the above sentiments, but I could care less. Can't trade Smith. He hasn't had enough success and the shoulder would be looked at as a liability to any team that we try to shop him to.

So those of you who think Frank or Battle are expendable, should realize that Hill is just as expendable for the right deal. Though Battle is consistent, I doubt we could get a solid deal in place that would be to both parties benefit. Because to be honest making a trade for the sake of making one is reminiscent of the San Francisco/Tampa deal oh so many years ago. Tampa got the raw end of that deal. Not that any names mentioned here are comparable to Steve Young, but you just never know do you.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:07 PM ]
The decision comes down to numbers. ith our run focused offense, it's unlikely we carry more than 5 WRs. Bruce, Jones, Morgan and Hill are locks. That leaves Battle, Ziegler and a rookie (assuming we draft a WR) to fight for the 5th spot and a spot on the practice squad. Morgan and Hill might not be better than Battle at the moment, but both have an upside that secure their roster spots.

If there were no rookie involved and we were choosing between Battle and Ziegler for the 5th spot, I think you go with Battle because of his special teams ability-- better to have a guy who can contribute than one who just rides the bench. Plus, Ziegler is more likely to accept a practice squad role.

Assuming there is a rookie WR chosen and he does show the ability to contribute (even if just on special teams initially), he's got to be given that 5th spot. In that case, I expect Battle would be moving on, because I can't see him accepting a practice squad role. Ziegler on the other hand ends up on the practice squad in either scenario, an injury away from a roster spot.
[ Edited by gravelburn on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:54 PM ]
Originally posted by Grigga2021:
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.

People don't know what Zeigler can bring to the table. Everyone knows what Battle brings, and it isn't much. I think people are tired of the mediocrity and would rather see what the young guys on the team can do instead of seeing the same irrelevant "production" from a guy like Battle. Battle has only had a few GOOD games since he was drafted. That's not good enough.

You don't think the coaching staff knows what Zeigler can contribute?

Anyone paying attention has seen his ability to contribute on the field. He's got some ability catching the ball, meaning he can make some catches in traffic. However, he's very thin, and doesn't appear to be a very good downfield blocker, and his ability to gain yards after the catch is questionable. He showed guts when they put him in at punt returner, but also made some bad mental mistakes, and showed little, if any promise there.

The coaching staff certainly knows what Battle brings to the table, and they know what Ziegler brings as well--and there's a reason Ziegler was only a PS player for the past two seasons and not on the active roster with Battle.

The coaching staff obviously didn't know what Shaun Hill brought to the table until he was given a chance on gameday. So no, the coaching staff does not know what Zeigler brings to the table ON GAMEDAY because he hasn't been given the chance to show them. They only know what he can do on the practice field, which means nothing at all on Sunday.

Ummmm sorry wrong answer. QB and WR are two VERY different animals when it comes to practice. A QB may not look good in practice but that doesn't exactly transfer to the field. Ala Shaun Hill. Though I still think that he looks no better on the field than Alex does. That's just my opinion.

WR however, should be able to run solid routes and catch the ball DURING practice more than ANY other time he wears his uniform. Because that is how he gets ON the field. If he is a lazy route runner in practice how in sam hell can he expect to get on the field and prove his worth? I bet Jerry would completely disagree with you also, given his KNOWN work ethic and how he approached the game.

So I would pose this question to you; If Jerry were a solid Vet who put the time in practice to work on his game and did it well, then Zeigler (by your account) got on the field over him(to see what he does) is that even right or fair? I think not.

~Ceadder
[ Edited by Ceadderman on Apr 2, 2009 at 3:09 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone