There are 205 users in the forums

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Battle really worth a roster spot at this point?

Originally posted by Grigga2021:
Definetly. Experienced player who bleeds red and gold. Hes a jack of all trades and when hes healthy he makes plays. Solid core member of our team. And a leader on our team.

BS.

He is not a "jack of all trades." He's not even a complete receiver. He's slow. He has trouble getting seperation. He is a decent blocker downfield, but it's not very hard to block a CB and another decent blocking WR can be found very easily. His hands aren't bad, but NO receiver's hands should be. They certainly aren't among the better hands in the league. He was giving Darrell Jackson a run for his change when it came to dropping the most balls in 2007. And if you're refering to his short tenure as a punt returner when you said "jack of all trades," let me remind you he was an awful punt returner. The guy has never been productive, and he's been given too many chances already. In his 65 games (not including the 8 games his rookie season in which he caught 0 balls) he has caught 173 passes for 2110 yards and 11 TDs. That translates into a miniscule 2.6 catches for 32.4 yards and 0.16 TD average per game. Truth be told he is doing nothing but occupying a roster spot.

I know there are some people still out there with a man-crush on Arnaz Battle because he's been with the team for a long time and he was drafted by us, but get over it. The guy has never even put up 700 yards or more than 5 TDs in a season. He is never going to be more productive than that. He's also aging so it's very doubtful he will ever even put up THOSE measly numbers again.
Originally posted by English:
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.

Then I am crazy. I want young developing players with potential. If Z doesn't cut it there will be plenty of other options this year.

By the way, this is called having an opinio, that is different from yours. Believing that yours is the only opinion that counts or matters is a symptom of insanity!! Oh dear

I agree, I'd rather give Z a chance over Battle, we already know what Battle can do, and we know his limits....we can find someone with his talent anywhere.....maybe Z does suck..so then we drop him and find someone else, no big deal......but I just don't see the fascination in keeping Battle. I guess Niner fans have just settled for a "dependable 3rd down player" lol...we are looking for playmakers..not someone we can depend twice in a game
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. I believe that Battle is well "worth a roster spot at this point."

Next to Isaac Bruce, Battle is the most experienced and reliable WR on the roster.

Battle has proven, time and again, to be a dependable slot receiver who finds ways to get open at times of need, typically on third down. He has great hands, and underrated speed, and is a willing and capable blocker. He's also a terrific special teams player, and a solid, veteran presence in the locker room. What's not to like?

So, unless injuries force him to retire, or someone is drafted who beats him out of his spot(s), I look forward to watching him continue to contribute to whatever success the team has this year, as he has in years past. Hopefully, even more so.

Go Niners.

I dunno I just rather give our young WR's a chance instead of Battle...I've had enough of Battle...meh

Well, I agree that we need to develop our young WRs, Morgan and Hill specifically, but we also need some dependable, capable veteran presence, besides Bruce, on the roster at WR. It only makes sense that the younger guys are going to develop more quickly when they have a veteran mentoring them and taking some of the pressure off of them.

Plus Battle is an important ST player. We sorely missed him as a punt returner last year, and Ziegler did not show any promise there at all. IMHO. It seems unbelieveable that anyone would simply "dismiss" a guy like Battle. He may not be an all pro, but every team needs guys like him, guys that contribute in ways large and small to the success of the team.
Originally posted by Socal49erFan:
If this guy was Lelie or someone who never produced in his life then yes I would be down on him. But he has definitely produced, even with the duck throwers we gave him to work with the past few seasons.

HAHAHAHAHA

Lelie has actually PRODUCED. Battle hasn't. In case you haven't figured it out, Ashley Lelie has put up 1,000 yards and 7 TDs before. Battle has never even come close.
Sorry, I respectfully disagree. I believe that Battle is well "worth a roster spot at this point."

Next to Isaac Bruce, Battle is the most experienced and reliable WR on the roster.

Battle has proven, time and again, to be a dependable slot receiver who finds ways to get open at times of need, typically on third down. He has great hands, and underrated speed, and is a willing and capable blocker. He's also a terrific special teams player, and a solid, veteran presence in the locker room. What's not to like?

So, unless injuries force him to retire, or someone is drafted who beats him out of his spot(s), I look forward to watching him continue to contribute to whatever success the team has this year, as he has in years past. Hopefully, even more so.

Go Niners.

I dunno I just rather give our young WR's a chance instead of Battle...I've had enough of Battle...meh

Well, I agree that we need to develop our young WRs, Morgan and Hill specifically, but we also need some dependable, capable veteran presence, besides Bruce, on the roster at WR. It only makes sense that the younger guys are going to develop more quickly when they have a veteran mentoring them and taking some of the pressure off of them.

Plus Battle is an important ST player. We sorely missed him as a punt returner last year, and Ziegler did not show any promise there at all. IMHO. It seems unbelieveable that anyone would simply "dismiss" a guy like Battle. He may not be an all pro, but every team needs guys like him, guys that contribute in ways large and small to the success of the team.

But he hasn't done anything at all to make us win...so what if he's got us a few first downs...has that made us win an important game at all that mattered? Um nope...why not see what our youngster our made of. And what kinda advice would Battle give to our young guys lol...he hasn't done s**t...not even a 700 yard season..I wouldn't be taking advice from him if i was a young WR
How could anyone want Zeigler over Battle? That is just rediculous. If you think we are a better team with Zeigler then Battle then your crazy.

People don't know what Zeigler can bring to the table. Everyone knows what Battle brings, and it isn't much. I think people are tired of the mediocrity and would rather see what the young guys on the team can do instead of seeing the same irrelevant "production" from a guy like Battle. Battle has only had a few GOOD games since he was drafted. That's not good enough.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

People don't know what Zeigler can bring to the table. Everyone knows what Battle brings, and it isn't much. I think people are tired of the mediocrity and would rather see what the young guys on the team can do instead of seeing the same irrelevant "production" from a guy like Battle. Battle has only had a few GOOD games since he was drafted. That's not good enough.

yessir

Go Niners.

But he hasn't done anything at all to make us win...so what if he's got us a few first downs...has that made us win an important game at all that mattered? Um nope...why not see what our youngster our made of. And what kinda advice would Battle give to our young guys lol...he hasn't done s**t...not even a 700 yard season..I wouldn't be taking advice from him if i was a young WR

Sorry, but I still respectfully disagree. I'm not saying he's superman (or even an all pro), but didn't he score on an end around to seal a win against Arizona two seasons ago?

If we were to get, say Crabtree in the draft, and a great punt returner besides, then I would concede that Battle's roster spot might be in jeapardy.

However, at this point, he's likely not only on the roster, he's probably the starter at the slot--because he contributes in many ways, blocking, receiving, punt returner, etc. He's experienced and knows how to adapt under pressure. He helps the RB by blocking downfield, helps the QB by adapting to a blitz, etc.

And its not like he's keeping the young guys from playing, nor are we at a position where we should just play the young guys and forget about trying to win.

It would seem crazy not to have a guy with his array of abilities on the team, but that's just my take on it.
  • PWillis4Prez
  • Info N/A
Get him the hell out of here.

Sorry, but I still respectfully disagree. I'm not saying he's superman (or even an all pro), but didn't he score on an end around to seal a win against Arizona two seasons ago?

OH PLEASE! Battle was untouched and walked right in. It was just a play that caught Arizona offguard and ANY receiver could have done it. Battle is not the fastest guy so if someone else had gotten the call they would have gotten into the endzone with even more ease. Don't try to credit Battle for a play that was going to work regardless of who it went to. There is absolutely no way to mess that play up unless you fumble the ball on your own or can't take a damn handoff - ANY player on the field should be able to do that, including offensive linemen - it simply is not difficult.. All you do is come around, receive the hand off and run to the pylon. Even I could have completed that play and won that game. You're reaching pretty far with that one.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 2, 2009 at 12:12 PM ]

You don't think the coaching staff knows what Zeigler can contribute?

Anyone paying attention has seen his ability to contribute on the field. He's got some ability catching the ball, meaning he can make some catches in traffic. However, he's very thin, and doesn't appear to be a very good downfield blocker, and his ability to gain yards after the catch is questionable. He showed guts when they put him in at punt returner, but also made some bad mental mistakes, and showed little, if any promise there.

The coaching staff certainly knows what Battle brings to the table, and they know what Ziegler brings as well--and there's a reason Ziegler was only a PS player for the past two seasons and not on the active roster with Battle.

Go Niners.

If we were to get, say Crabtree in the draft, and a great punt returner besides, then I would concede that Battle's roster spot might be in jeapardy.

However, at this point, he's likely not only on the roster, he's probably the starter at the slot--because he contributes in many ways, blocking, receiving, punt returner, etc. He's experienced and knows how to adapt under pressure. He helps the RB by blocking downfield, helps the QB by adapting to a blitz, etc.

And its not like he's keeping the young guys from playing, nor are we at a position where we should just play the young guys and forget about trying to win.

It would seem crazy not to have a guy with his array of abilities on the team, but that's just my take on it.

Hi oldtimer, I respect your opinion. But if you are going to bring up that play where he scored on an end-around against Arizona (1 yarder). Let's bring up the play right before that play. ALex Smith throws a perfect pass to him and he should easily score, but Battle fumbles the ball into the endzone. Luckily for him, the Arizona cb who should've easily knocked the ball out of the endzone, tried to pick it up. Instead Darrell Jackson saves Battle from being the GOAT and recovers the ball in the endzone.
I love Arnaz but its time to hang them up.

You don't think the coaching staff knows what Zeigler can contribute?

Anyone paying attention has seen his ability to contribute on the field. He's got some ability catching the ball, meaning he can make some catches in traffic. However, he's very thin, and doesn't appear to be a very good downfield blocker, and his ability to gain yards after the catch is questionable. He showed guts when they put him in at punt returner, but also made some bad mental mistakes, and showed little, if any promise there.

The coaching staff certainly knows what Battle brings to the table, and they know what Ziegler brings as well--and there's a reason Ziegler was only a PS player for the past two seasons and not on the active roster with Battle.

The coaching staff obviously didn't know what Shaun Hill brought to the table until he was given a chance on gameday. So no, the coaching staff does not know what Zeigler brings to the table ON GAMEDAY because he hasn't been given the chance to show them. They only know what he can do on the practice field, which means nothing at all on Sunday.
Originally posted by kronik:

Go Niners.

Hi oldtimer, I respect your opinion. But if you are going to bring up that play where he scored on an end-around against Arizona (1 yarder). Let's bring up the play right before that play. ALex Smith throws a perfect pass to him and he should easily score, but Battle fumbles the ball into the endzone. Luckily for him, the Arizona cb who should've easily knocked the ball out of the endzone, tried to pick it up. Instead Darrell Jackson saves Battle from being the GOAT and recovers the ball in the endzone.

Yes, I recall that. However, the point is, you can't say he hasn't made any game winning plays. That play was a game winner, if I remember correctly.

Like any WR in the NFL, he's gonna have some good plays, and some not so good--but overall, given the present state of the roster at WR, I think you have to say he's got a spot. Things may change with the draft, but for now, I believe his veteran presence, along with his abilities both as a WR and as a PR, add solid value to the roster, and so some of you are going to be "forced" to watch him for at least another year.

Its not like he's stunk it up, alligator armed any passes thrown his way, or acted like a prima donna or anything. He's been a solid, if unspectacular WR for us, and will continue to be so 'til injuries stop him or some rookie beats him out. IMHO.

Just my opinion, though, and I'm not trying to force anyone to agree with me.
Share 49ersWebzone