There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you trade Frank Gore??

Would you trade Frank Gore??

If the offer is right, anyone can be traded IMO.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jays9ers:
I know some of you die hard Gore fans would say I'm crazy.. And I for one love Frank, but I'm also looking objectively towards the future.. It looks as if we'll be getting another OC next season, setting us back another 2 or 3 years. We have young WR's who will have time to develop and benefit from a new OC.. But Gore doesn't have that long to sit around and wait... 3 More seasons and he will be past his prime.. Would you consider moving him for players or draft picks???

First, the whole premise of your post appears to be that it "looks like" the 49ers will have a different OC next season. Part of the reason Raye has the job is because he was not likely to leave. The only way there is an OC change is if Raye unexpectedly retires OR the offense ends up resembling Hostler's 2007 version. I don't personally like the Raye hire but its unlikely that the offense will be so bad that he's going to get canned after 1 year. Unless its a complete disaster, they'll give him at least a second year because of the turnover at the OC the last 7 years.

Second, its clear that the Yorks want to win now. That's the only way they will get support for a stadium and the only way they will get the media off their backs about running the franchise into the ground. Remember Jed York's promise when he named Singletary the permanent HC that this would be the last time the season would be ending in December. If they're going to have a shot at fulfilling that promise, they need Gore now, not young players and/or draft picks to develop.

Third, the 49ers have no logical replacement for Gore. If the 49ers had a situation like when the Chargers had Michael Turner backing up LT, then it might be worth some thought but they don't as of now and there's no one close to Gore available in Free Agency. So, if you traded Gore, you would have to find a replacement in the draft, who you would be relying on from Day 1, though he will have never played in the NFL. If the 49ers find another back in this draft that shows the same sort of promise as Gore did his rookie year, then they would be in a better position to at least consider what to do with Gore going forward.

Fourth, this is a bit of a rhetorical question but...How many successful NFL teams trade their best offensive player while he is in his prime? There is something to be said for trading a player a year too early rather than a year too late BUT this would be pulling the trigger on Gore at least 1-2 years early.
  • PaulW
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kem99:

First, the whole premise of your post appears to be that it "looks like" the 49ers will have a different OC next season. Part of the reason Raye has the job is because he was not likely to leave. The only way there is an OC change is if Raye unexpectedly retires OR the offense ends up resembling Hostler's 2007 version. I don't personally like the Raye hire but its unlikely that the offense will be so bad that he's going to get canned after 1 year. Unless its a complete disaster, they'll give him at least a second year because of the turnover at the OC the last 7 years.

This thread was started in December, before Raye was hired.
No. Sign Derrick Ward.
Originally posted by 49erWill:
I would trade any player.......depends on the offer

True enough from my point of view, but I can't imagine anyone offering what I believe would be a reasonable compensation package.
if we could get adrian peterson, sure.
Originally posted by JD81:
Couldn't really fathom trading him at this point and time.....He is going to go down as the top rushing-yards leader in team history, and has so much heart.
If we traded Joe Montana, then I wouldn't hesitate to trade gore if the price was right. It all depends on what we get for him.
  • GoldBlood1985
  • Info N/A
Idiot..
I would trade Gore, assuming we are getting the better end of the deal
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
For a first rounder, Yes! However, no team would make that deal.

Time is clicking for Gore. He probably has three more good years, and that is about it.

wow come on maddog i thought you had some common sense, you would trade a proven super star for one first rounder who no one knows if he will work out at all. dumbest thing I ever heard

lol.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
If the offer is right, anyone can be traded IMO.

I agree. Well, accept for P. Willie. He's the exception.
Originally posted by 190836:
If we traded Joe Montana, then I wouldn't hesitate to trade gore if the price was right. It all depends on what we get for him.

Ok, what did we get for Montana in a trade?

safety David Whitmore & a 3rd round pick.

Still want to trade away Frank Gore?
Originally posted by djfullshred:
Originally posted by 190836:

Ok, what did we get for Montana in a trade?

safety David Whitmore & a 3rd round pick.

Still want to trade away Frank Gore?

if we get a 1st rounder? Sure.
The 49ers would have to get a proven player in return or a good first round pick for him.