LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 253 users in the forums

Quarterback Needy Teams

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I would hope we trade for additional picks, and use our first pick on the best interior offensive lineman available , using our 2nd on Jimmy G will allow us to do this, it's possible we could make TWO trades, and still land an elite guard or center

Still high-ish 1st rounder on a guard or center? Dont think so. OT or pass rush with the first. Interior with the 2nd and on.

Would you be mad if we traded down snd took Ridley if say he further emerges/tears it up at the combine?

Since Barkley fizzled out in the last two Penn State games I have concluded that a trade down might be for the best. It ought to be doable this draft, with the hunger for qb's. I want to see an edge rusher and any other of our main needs snapped up fairly early, as well as some extra ammo for the 2019 draft. And whilst I want to see FA used to provide a good line for next year, nothing to stop us picking up a lineman or two in the draft as well.

To be honest, next year's draft gonna be great!!!

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I would hope we trade for additional picks, and use our first pick on the best interior offensive lineman available , using our 2nd on Jimmy G will allow us to do this, it's possible we could make TWO trades, and still land an elite guard or center

Still high-ish 1st rounder on a guard or center? Dont think so. OT or pass rush with the first. Interior with the 2nd and on.

Would you be mad if we traded down snd took Ridley if say he further emerges/tears it up at the combine?

I know your question was addressed to English, but I think Ridley would be the best player to take with our first pick. Not neglecting O-line at all, but I am thinking what our offense would look like with Ridley starting opposite of Garcon and one of the top guards verses taking the top O-lineman and getting one of the other top receivers. And who knows, with the right trade down and then trade up, we may be able to land Ridley + a first round pass rusher/a first round O-lineman. That first pick holds a lot of weight, as well as the second and I can't envision any realistic scenario where we aren't drafting first or second, even if JImmy G does start at some point.

Im all in pass rusher/WR. Hopefully both in mini trade downs.
[ Edited by SmokeCrabtrees on Nov 11, 2017 at 10:20 PM ]

Since Barkley fizzled out in the last two Penn State games I have concluded that a trade down might be for the best. It ought to be doable this draft, with the hunger for qb's. I want to see an edge rusher and any other of our main needs snapped up fairly early, as well as some extra ammo for the 2019 draft. And whilst I want to see FA used to provide a good line for next year, nothing to stop us picking up a lineman or two in the draft as well.

I know your question was addressed to English, but I think Ridley would be the best player to take with our first pick. Not neglecting O-line at all, but I am thinking what our offense would look like with Ridley starting opposite of Garcon and one of the top guards verses taking the top O-lineman and getting one of the other top receivers. And who knows, with the right trade down and then trade up, we may be able to land Ridley + a first round pass rusher/a first round O-lineman. That first pick holds a lot of weight, as well as the second and I can't envision any realistic scenario where we aren't drafting first or second, even if JImmy G does start at some point.

The crazy thing is, points wise, we can make that happen. If we were to somehow to hold our current draft position, the pick could conceivably net us enough capital to get two top 10 picks. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be worth it in this draft. If there were an elite pass rusher in any draft (guys like Miller, Clowney, Mack, Garrett), basically guys that would be top 5 picks no matter what year, I would definitely take a trade down and then use the package of picks we get to trade back up into the top 5 to get that elite pass rushing prospect. We'd walk away with Calvin Ridley + an elite pass rusher. Unfortunately, I wouldn't do the same trade for a Harold Landry or Arden Key, as much as I like about them. I honestly don't know where that rusher will come from in this draft unless somehow Landry falls like how Barnett did.

As for the QB needy teams, I've said in other threads that the success of Wentz, Watson, and Goff should motivate more teams to give up the bounty of picks to get their QB.

The crazy thing is, points wise, we can make that happen. If we were to somehow to hold our current draft position, the pick could conceivably net us enough capital to get two top 10 picks. Unfortunately, I don't think it would be worth it in this draft. If there were an elite pass rusher in any draft (guys like Miller, Clowney, Mack, Garrett), basically guys that would be top 5 picks no matter what year, I would definitely take a trade down and then use the package of picks we get to trade back up into the top 5 to get that elite pass rushing prospect. We'd walk away with Calvin Ridley + an elite pass rusher. Unfortunately, I wouldn't do the same trade for a Harold Landry or Arden Key, as much as I like about them. I honestly don't know where that rusher will come from in this draft unless somehow Landry falls like how Barnett did.

As for the QB needy teams, I've said in other threads that the success of Wentz, Watson, and Goff should motivate more teams to give up the bounty of picks to get their QB.

For sure. I did mean in a trade down scenario where we get a pass rusher or WR then we trade back into the first round with some of the ammo that we get from the trade down to take the other position from ones i mentioned.

I really want a veteran WR AND take one in first two rounds. With Jimmy and Shanny you might as well go all in offense as well.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
MMQB had an article on QB needy teams, they are divided into 3 categories:

1. Desperate - Browns, Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints (if Brees doesn't extend), Jets, Redskins (if Cousins walks)
2. Could be Shopping - Ravens, Bills, Bengals
3. Looking for Future QB - Zona, Chargers, Giants, Pats, Steelers

What I see is a potential feeding frenzy where the top teams in the draft will get some serious return for their picks. It's not all in favor of the overall first pick, two, three, even four or five will get a serious return for trading down. Which brings us to the 49ers, I'm hoping the Browns win a few and put us in the catbird seat. Win or lose that first overall pick the Niners are in a position to bring the team back to relevance in a short period of time. Their scouts should be working overtime to make it happen.

Not us! lol.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Dec 7, 2017 at 1:55 AM ]
Pretty much 6/10 teams are
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
MMQB had an article on QB needy teams, they are divided into 3 categories:

1. Desperate - Browns, Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints (if Brees doesn't extend), Jets, Redskins (if Cousins walks)
2. Could be Shopping - Ravens, Bills, Bengals
3. Looking for Future QB - Zona, Chargers, Giants, Pats, Steelers

What I see is a potential feeding frenzy where the top teams in the draft will get some serious return for their picks. It's not all in favor of the overall first pick, two, three, even four or five will get a serious return for trading down. Which brings us to the 49ers, I'm hoping the Browns win a few and put us in the catbird seat. Win or lose that first overall pick the Niners are in a position to bring the team back to relevance in a short period of time. Their scouts should be working overtime to make it happen.

Not us! lol.

I know! Great isnt it? And we arent on the HC carousel either.

Likewise ,smokes, but that is assuming we get 3 FAs for OG C OG...if not, then OL , top flite only, would be my first pick. But i am really holding out hope we can somehow manage to get a minimum of 2 OLs in FA and hopefully that other OG, also. Johnnydel had a nice summary of top OLs in FA this yr, and Ravens Jensen looked good. But we need two OGs also. After getting us starters across the OL, then #1 pick for me is ER, followed closely by #1 WR. Question is between FA and draft is there an ER we really want to take? So far i am +/- on those available (ERs), in both FA and draft. Draft i would say no, leaving FA. And there....IDK.

Re:QB needy teams, this does seem to be a banner yr and i don't think CLEVE is off that list. They got the worst possible in Kizer which is either their 3rd or 4th try at a FR QB. And they are no better off now than 4-5 yrs ago. So of all the yrs to have needed a QB (and just 37 days ago we were in that stew), this is by far the hardest yr on teams that have to have a FR Qb, not to mention teams whose QBs have gotten long in the tooth. Thank God for that bombshell that dropped in our laps. As an aside, if we had tomsul, chipster, harbaw, and especially baalke here, that offer of JImmyG never would have happened, IMO. We had both kyle and lynch, plus there is the kyle's Dad link , so it turned out like we actually drew all this up. The kyle/lynch signing was a big part. But no baalke was just as big. I can't believe all that b.s. is finally, at long last , over.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 7, 2017 at 7:32 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

Likewise ,smokes, but that is assuming we get 3 FAs for OG C OG...if not, then OL , top flite only, would be my first pick. But i am really holding out hope we can somehow manage to get a minimum of 2 OLs in FA and hopefully that other OG, also. Johnnydel had a nice summary of top OLs in FA this yr, and Ravens Jensen looked good. But we need two OGs also. After getting us starters across the OL, then #1 pick for me is ER, followed closely by #1 WR. Question is between FA and draft is there an ER we really want to take? So far i am +/- on those available (ERs), in both FA and draft. Draft i would say no, leaving FA. And there....IDK.

Re:QB needy teams, this does seem to be a banner yr and i don't think CLEVE is off that list. They got the worst possible in Kizer which is either their 3rd or 4th try at a FR QB. And they are no better off now than 4-5 yrs ago. So of all the yrs to have needed a QB (and just 37 days ago we were in that stew), this is by far the hardest yr on teams that have to have a FR Qb, not to mention teams whose QBs have gotten long in the tooth. Thank God for that bombshell that dropped in our laps. As an aside, if we had tomsul, chipster, harbaw, and especially baalke here, that offer of JImmyG never would have happened, IMO. We had both kyle and lynch, plus there is the kyle's Dad link , so it turned out like we actually drew all this up. The kyle/lynch signing was a big part. But no baalke was just as big. I can't believe all that b.s. is finally, at long last , over.

Im really praying we get atleast 1 if not two OL in FA. 3/4 starters in FA in general.

As far as QB needy teams.. Please god come out Darnold and let the Allen/Jackson/Mayfield hype begin!
You could add the falcons... two of those picks by Ryan were hoyeresck
Originally posted by DickNasty:

They won't do it high, but they should be looking at a QB. For years, I've said it was Ryan. Going back to when they went down to us in the NFCCG.

As for us, does anyone think it's possible we somehow get back to no. 2 overall? Sadly, I doubt it. I see at least one more win and possibly two with Jimmy as our starter.

Ideally I'd like 2nd because of the point differential to trade.
[ Edited by LifelongNiner on Dec 7, 2017 at 10:21 PM ]

They won't do it high, but they should be looking at a QB. For years, I've said it was Ryan. Going back to when they went down to us in the NFCCG.

As for us, does anyone think it's possible we somehow get back to no. 2 overall? Sadly, I doubt it. I see at least one more win and possibly two with Jimmy as our starter.

Ideally I'd like 2nd because of the point differential to trade.

I was hoping for that but that was gone after last weekend. Right now, i saw we win 3/4 wins. 5-11. Hope we get pick 7 or 8. I fully expect 5 qbs going in the top 11 picks. Just need 1 trade partner to fall in love with one of those qbs. Which is very possible. At minium exchange 1st round picks and we get a 2nd.
I was hoping for that but that was gone after last weekend. Right now, i saw we win 3/4 wins. 5-11. Hope we get pick 7 or 8. I fully expect 5 qbs going in the top 11 picks. Just need 1 trade partner to fall in love with one of those qbs. Which is very possible. At minium exchange 1st round picks and we get a 2nd.

The great thing about this offseason is that we can plug a few holes in free agency and load up on the draft.
Originally posted by LivingInExile:
Think we should consider drafting a QB in first round. 15 teams need QBs. Could take many years to supply their needs, and only so many good QBs will develop from each years draft. If Garoppollo does not work out, we would remain in current situation -- no QB. Better to test Garoppollo and see how he does in the fire, while developing a first rounder behind him. Prefer not remaining in no QB hell.

I was thinking about this.

We have 110 million in cap space so we will be bringing in a few quality starters. I would say at least 3. I suspect we will sign a center, corner and a tackle. We may resign our own and Hyde, Reid and Fusco deserve to be brought back.

This team was close. We lost What, 5 games by 3 points or less? I think with better QB play early on and if we didn't lead the league in players on IR this team would have 6 wins by now.

Which leads me to drafting a QB. Let's say we are picking at 4 or 5.

The Browns will do what the Browns do and pass on a QB at 1 for Saquon Barkley. The Giants will take Sam Darnold at 2. Denver takes Mason Rudolph at 3. So we are sitting at 4. There is still Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen sitting there. I want nothing to-do with a mobile QB like Jackson. Shades of RG3, Kaepernick but I would be hard pressed to not take Rosen if we didn't get a trade that blows our socks off.

Do what the Pack did with Rodgers. Let him sit and learn. Garrapolo isn't signed long term. We will have 2 years of using the franchise tag if we want.

What if he gets hurt? What if he doesn't sign long term?

Not many times does a team have the chance to draft a franchise QB. Next year is not a great year for QB's. He would be a very valuable trade chip if Jimmy G plays well.

So our options are:

1- Take a QB.
2- Trade the pick.
3- Take a guy like Roquan Smith or Courtland Sutton.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Dec 8, 2017 at 5:35 AM ]
If Rosen, Darnold, Jackson and Mayfield come out there's a very likely possibility that the $ trade will be there for anyone looking to deal in the top 10.

Giants and Browns could nab the 1st 2 but if a team loves one of those other prospects and has to jump we're in great position to deal.

At this point I think we're picking 5th or 6th choosing between Nelson or Ridley. If someone offers a good package to move down I'd take it.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
I was thinking about this.

We have 110 million in cap space so we will be bringing in a few quality starters. I would say at least 3. I suspect we will sign a center, corner and a tackle. We may resign our own and Hyde, Reid and Fusco deserve to be brought back.

This team was close. We lost What, 5 games by 3 points or less? I think with better QB play early on and if we didn't lead the league in players on IR this team would have 6 wins by now.

Which leads me to drafting a QB. Let's say we are picking at 4 or 5.

The Browns will do what the Browns do and pass on a QB at 1 for Saquon Barkley. The Giants will take Sam Darnold at 2. Denver takes Mason Rudolph at 3. So we are sitting at 4. There is still Lamar Jackson and Josh Rosen sitting there. I want nothing to-do with a mobile QB like Jackson. Shades of RG3, Kaepernick but I would be hard pressed to not take Rosen if we didn't get a trade that blows our socks off.

Do what the Pack did with Rodgers. Let him sit and learn. Garrapolo isn't signed long term. We will have 2 years of using the franchise tag if we want.

What if he gets hurt? What if he doesn't sign long term?

Not many times does a team have the chance to draft a franchise QB. Next year is not a great year for QB's. He would be a very valuable trade chip if Jimmy G plays well.

So our options are:

1- Take a QB.
2- Trade the pick.
3- Take a guy like Roquan Smith or Courtland Sutton.

That is never gonna happen. That would be a terrible waste of resources and a great way to completely piss off Garoppolo and his agent.

The whole notion is completely out of the realm of possibility. You're not using your top two draft picks on QBs when your OL is a disaster and you have so many other holes on the roster all in the hope that maybe someday you could get an equivalent draft pick back.

If they draft a QB it is going to be late in the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone