There are 242 users in the forums

Quarterback Needy Teams

Shop 49ers game tickets
MMQB had an article on QB needy teams, they are divided into 3 categories:

1. Desperate - Browns, Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints (if Brees doesn't extend), Jets, Redskins (if Cousins walks)
2. Could be Shopping - Ravens, Bills, Bengals
3. Looking for Future QB - Zona, Chargers, Giants, Pats, Steelers

What I see is a potential feeding frenzy where the top teams in the draft will get some serious return for their picks. It's not all in favor of the overall first pick, two, three, even four or five will get a serious return for trading down. Which brings us to the 49ers, I'm hoping the Browns win a few and put us in the catbird seat. Win or lose that first overall pick the Niners are in a position to bring the team back to relevance in a short period of time. Their scouts should be working overtime to make it happen.
I'm just happy we're not on that list anymore

But for real, I'm thinking the Browns (if they want a QB AND Barkley), Broncos, and Jets are the most-likely trade partners in this scenario. Cardinals, too. They should be in the "desperate" category.
Yeah With Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, Rudolph and Mayfield all possibly being 1st round picks the niners should have no problem find a trade partner, possibly twice if they want bc we all kno how teams value QBs and they get drafted way higher then they should..I personally wouldn't want to trade out of the top 10..look for a trade moving from 2 to 10 and receive a 1st next year and a 2nd this year then take Nelson at 10..
Arz has to be in desperate category
Originally posted by crabman82:

Very desperate. When you open the cupboard and Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert are all you have left, you're in real trouble.
Jets, Cardinals and Broncos, MAYBE Giants. Those are the teams that are the most-likely trade candidates. At least one of those teams will finish with around pick #10, and I'm thinking at least one of them will want to trade up to #2 to get Rosen/Darnold. Maybe in addition to the ~8-12 pick, they also give us a 2nd this year and a 1st next year? Or would the trade get us more than that?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Very desperate. When you open the cupboard and Drew Stanton and Blaine Gabbert are all you have left, you're in real trouble.

Totally agree. Now add up the list of teams in those categories.Damn near half of the NFL is somewhere between keen and desperate! Ican only think of Cousins and McCarron in FA leaving, if Brees extends, up to 13 teams in the market. Now, a bundle of them will find that they can do nothing next year. But for a team with, say, a top 5 pick and no need of a qb, it is likely to be auction time!
Think we should consider drafting a QB in first round. 15 teams need QBs. Could take many years to supply their needs, and only so many good QBs will develop from each years draft. If Garoppollo does not work out, we would remain in current situation -- no QB. Better to test Garoppollo and see how he does in the fire, while developing a first rounder behind him. Prefer not remaining in no QB hell.
Originally posted by LivingInExile:
Think we should consider drafting a QB in first round. 15 teams need QBs. Could take many years to supply their needs, and only so many good QBs will develop from each years draft. If Garoppollo does not work out, we would remain in current situation -- no QB. Better to test Garoppollo and see how he does in the fire, while developing a first rounder behind him. Prefer not remaining in no QB hell.

That's not happening, Jimmy G was traded for to be the niners QB and free up the draft pick from a QB and either trade or take BPA who will also be a need bc we have so many.
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Totally agree. Now add up the list of teams in those categories.Damn near half of the NFL is somewhere between keen and desperate! Ican only think of Cousins and McCarron in FA leaving, if Brees extends, up to 13 teams in the market. Now, a bundle of them will find that they can do nothing next year. But for a team with, say, a top 5 pick and no need of a qb, it is likely to be auction time!

I think I know of such a team.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
MMQB had an article on QB needy teams, they are divided into 3 categories:

1. Desperate - Browns, Broncos, Jaguars, Vikings, Saints (if Brees doesn't extend), Jets, Redskins (if Cousins walks)
2. Could be Shopping - Ravens, Bills, Bengals
3. Looking for Future QB - Zona, Chargers, Giants, Pats, Steelers

What I see is a potential feeding frenzy where the top teams in the draft will get some serious return for their picks. It's not all in favor of the overall first pick, two, three, even four or five will get a serious return for trading down. Which brings us to the 49ers, I'm hoping the Browns win a few and put us in the catbird seat. Win or lose that first overall pick the Niners are in a position to bring the team back to relevance in a short period of time. Their scouts should be working overtime to make it happen.

I would hope we trade for additional picks, and use our first pick on the best interior offensive lineman available , using our 2nd on Jimmy G will allow us to do this, it's possible we could make TWO trades, and still land an elite guard or center
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I would hope we trade for additional picks, and use our first pick on the best interior offensive lineman available , using our 2nd on Jimmy G will allow us to do this, it's possible we could make TWO trades, and still land an elite guard or center

Still high-ish 1st rounder on a guard or center? Dont think so. OT or pass rush with the first. Interior with the 2nd and on.

Still high-ish 1st rounder on a guard or center? Dont think so. OT or pass rush with the first. Interior with the 2nd and on.

Would you be mad if we traded down snd took Ridley if say he further emerges/tears it up at the combine?
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

Would you be mad if we traded down snd took Ridley if say he further emerges/tears it up at the combine?

Since Barkley fizzled out in the last two Penn State games I have concluded that a trade down might be for the best. It ought to be doable this draft, with the hunger for qb's. I want to see an edge rusher and any other of our main needs snapped up fairly early, as well as some extra ammo for the 2019 draft. And whilst I want to see FA used to provide a good line for next year, nothing to stop us picking up a lineman or two in the draft as well.

To be honest, next year's draft gonna be great!!!
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:

I know your question was addressed to English, but I think Ridley would be the best player to take with our first pick. Not neglecting O-line at all, but I am thinking what our offense would look like with Ridley starting opposite of Garcon and one of the top guards verses taking the top O-lineman and getting one of the other top receivers. And who knows, with the right trade down and then trade up, we may be able to land Ridley + a first round pass rusher/a first round O-lineman. That first pick holds a lot of weight, as well as the second and I can't envision any realistic scenario where we aren't drafting first or second, even if JImmy G does start at some point.
Share 49ersWebzone