LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 417 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
The NFL no longer wants the SS as part of the game

John Lynch was talking about it. He was saying that guys like Ronnie, Easley, Dennis Smith, and even HIMSELF would not be allowed anymore.

We've replaced Whitner with Hitner but his $21K fine was BS, that was a legit shoulder hit

Instead of looking at film and fining guys after the fact, Gotohell has instructed the refs to flag EVERYTHING. The refs won't get in trouble if they throw the flag and they are wrong but they will if they don't and they are. Go fricking figure.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

John Lynch was talking about it. He was saying that guys like Ronnie, Easley, Dennis Smith, and even HIMSELF would not be allowed anymore.

We've replaced Whitner with Hitner but his $21K fine was BS, that was a legit shoulder hit

Instead of looking at film and fining guys after the fact, Gotohell has instructed the refs to flag EVERYTHING. The refs won't get in trouble if they throw the flag and they are wrong but they will if they don't and they are. Go fricking figure.

agreed
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

agreed

That's basically what it comes down. The refs are graded poorly for the game if they don't toss the flag. A head official could even be demoted if they miss too many of these calls.

They are instructed to throw the flag if there is doubt to the legality of the hit. It should be the opposite. If there is doubt, DO NOT FLAG IT. Review the hit after the game, and if it was dirty, fine and/or suspend the player. That way the players who hit illegally will get punished, and we won't be penalizing legal hits on the field.

These guys are scratching and clawing for every yard. These 15 yard personal fouls are a killer, and can often influence the outcome of the game.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 9, 2013 at 8:10 PM ]
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:

agreed

That's basically what it comes down. The refs are graded poorly for the game if they don't toss the flag. A head official could even be demoted if they miss too many of these calls.

They are instructed to throw the flag if there is doubt to the legality of the hit. It should be the opposite. If there is doubt, DO NOT FLAG IT. Review the hit after the game, and if it was dirty, fine and/or suspend the player. That way the players who hit illegally will get punished, and we won't be penalizing legal hits on the field.

These guys are scratching and clawing for every yard. These 15 yard personal fouls are a killer, and can often influence the outcome of the game.

The NFL is run by lawyers. Goodell is simply the face.
Originally posted by trellblaze:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Agreed. If there was one adjustment I'd make, I'd go back to white shoes though. After all, why mess with tradition?

Is that a league mandated thing? (shoe color). I forget. I know the socks are for sure but I vaguely remember Crabtree having a custom pair of gold cleats.

Totally. Anybody remember Billy "White Shoes" Johnson? First to do it ever and a phenom who might just put up 3000 yards if he didn't get taken out back then.

They had to injure him. Kinda like Marcus Dupree. First white shoes ever and unstoppable, until, ouch. Google him.

I'm goin white, all on board....
Gotta agree with you guys.

Is the NFL becoming a game of "liability"?

Man Lott would be destructuring these guys bodies

Butt now?

Oh its a penalty cause the buffed up little redneck reff thinks it was a foul.

Fine. In some cases, definitely, and absolutely.

But there used to be a code where injury was a non intended consequence.

Now we have..receivers and db's fighting for the ball as a felony!

Rice, Irvin, Carter, and the rest.....defined RECEIVER fighting for that ball.

The NFL is trying to legally protect themselves over the concussion issue by dousing the game.

Make football football again.

Fire the commissioner of badmitton.
Originally posted by 49erWay:
Gotta agree with you guys.

Is the NFL becoming a game of "liability"?

Man Lott would be destructuring these guys bodies

Butt now?

Oh its a penalty cause the buffed up little redneck reff thinks it was a foul.

Fine. In some cases, definitely, and absolutely.

But there used to be a code where injury was a non intended consequence.

Now we have..receivers and db's fighting for the ball as a felony!

Rice, Irvin, Carter, and the rest.....defined RECEIVER fighting for that ball.

The NFL is trying to legally protect themselves over the concussion issue by dousing the game.

Make football football again.

Fire the commissioner of badmitton.

I'm excited as hell that Bud Selig is leaving MLB and David Stern is leaving the NBA but I would run into the streets to celebrate if Goodell left the National Flag League.

Lol. That's funny.

But how about relate him to Nazi Germany's propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels? That seems more appropriate, and fits pretty well.

Roger Goedells?
Roger Goebell?
If they let the close calls go, then fine after review, coachs like Williams will find rich "fans" to pay players under the table. Slippery slope.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM ]
Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Agreed. If there was one adjustment I'd make, I'd go back to white shoes though. After all, why mess with tradition?

Is that a league mandated thing? (shoe color). I forget. I know the socks are for sure but I vaguely remember Crabtree having a custom pair of gold cleats.

and he got fined for them.

The league controls every aspect of the uniform. The NFL wants plain colored cleats, black or white. Could've changed but that used to be the case a few years ago.

Yea that sounds right.

Originally posted by BrianGO:

Lol. That's funny.

But how about relate him to Nazi Germany's propaganda minister Joseph Goebbels? That seems more appropriate, and fits pretty well.

Roger Goedells?
Roger Goebell?

i usually go with fidel goodell
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
f**k Whitner, If we had a real Safety playing that night, we would have easily won the Super Bowl.

Hell yes...

And seriously, Whitner scares the crap out of me. I swear the guy is a hair away from getting a 15 yard penalty at the end of every play he is involved with. BIG hitter, nice in the run but in pass coverage he is a total dog. He's gone next year, We have Reid and I would bet money we spend a early round pick on another safety or corner.
I agree that the bolded is coming VERY soon but I don't think it's 100% outdated yet. Maybe 98%...lol. In other words, I think you can still get by with a traditional, Tim McDonald style safety (remember how bad his coverage skills were?). That said, would you keep Whitner for another 2 years - assuming we can afford him. If not, draft who to fill his position? Would it be wise to have a rookie next to a 1 yr guy (Reid)? Free agent vet (not keen on that unless it's Troy Polamalu)?

Sorry, just getting back to this. I'll take 98%. Haha!

Personally, I would not have kept Whitner THIS year...I come from the Bill Walsh school where you let guys go a year or two before their twilight (but always have the "next man up" training in the background). Whitner was a salient issue last year - he gave up the points; he was the "break" in the bend-but-don't-break defense. And while we highlighted that it wasnt his fault completely, he owns much of it. For instance, if you continually get beat in the EZ (inside the RZ) on simple seam routes, you MAY want to practice that or talk to Fangio about assignments (he is a leader); like, maybe move a taller and more physical Goldson over the TE or taller/stronger slot WR (Jones/Boldin). I'm not seeing an old dog learning new tricks here either (still 2 ro 3 steps late on coverage in the middle of the field/EZ). I probably would have seriously considered, like Baalke, a veteran like Reed where you'd have better coverage skills and still have that veteran leadership. I would NOT have gone 2 rookies back there. I could see for over 2 years now that coverage with Whitner is a major issue (with or without Reid next to him).

So that answer alone answers your original question...he'd be gone after this year (large salary too). I'm no sure what Baalke has in store here but usually he has a guy training in the wings as well but right now, I don't think that guy is on the team. It may end up being a FA pickup or a high draft pick to get younger/cheaper.
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
Originally posted by HoneyBadger49er:
f**k Whitner, If we had a real Safety playing that night, we would have easily won the Super Bowl.

Hell yes...

And seriously, Whitner scares the crap out of me. I swear the guy is a hair away from getting a 15 yard penalty at the end of every play he is involved with. BIG hitter, nice in the run but in pass coverage he is a total dog. He's gone next year, We have Reid and I would bet money we spend a early round pick on another safety or corner.

He should scare ANY Niner fan if you've been watching every game over the past 2.5 years.

Picture this: QB in the RZ 3-step drops, hits his back foot and passing right down the middle of the field...fill in the blank. Hint: Willis or Bowman will provide additional underneath coverage with Whitner over the top (roughly).

PS: Watch NFL Network for about 2 hours and every single sniplet where a Niner is involved is a clip of Whitner getting fried for a TD. Seriously, every one. I think the NFL hates the dude (hence the crappy fines of late).
With the amount of salary cap dedicated to this defense already, we're LUCKY we have a SS as good as Whitner. The majority of teams in this league don't have a good safety on the roster let alone 2 like we've had over the past few years. I swear this fan base is impossible and spoiled to the max. No wonder everyone calls us whiners.
Share 49ersWebzone