LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 416 users in the forums

Donte Whitner aka Hitner

Shop 49ers game tickets
I think it will be very easy to find a cheaper upgrade over Whitner through free agency or the draft, as this draft is particularly deep in strong safeties.. Heck, I could go out there for free to go look lost in pass coverage..

And according to overthecap.com, cutting Whitner would save $4.1 million this season..

What are your thoughts on this?
[ Edited by Cooper22 on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM ]
IBTL
My thoughts are you shouldn't be posting about something you have no idea on what you are talking about.
Originally posted by defenderDX:
My thoughts are you shouldn't be posting about something you have no idea on what you are talking about.

So Whitner was good in pass coverage? And is worth the $4+ mill?
And start who? Seriously, I have to question the sanity of some the posters in here. Our secondary was the weak link on defense last season and everyone is so ready to cut everyone just to increase our cap number. Its not your money so I don't understand why more fans are so in love with players salaries and their cap numbers. We as fans should be more concerned about upgrading the position not saving money. I want to know how cutting Whitner after having to let Goldson walk is going to help our secondary. Goldson was out of our control. There was no way we could bring him back at market value. Cutting Whitner however makes no sense at all.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Mar 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
And start who? Seriously, I have to question the sanity of some the posters in here. Our secondary was the weak link on defense last season and everyone is so ready to cut everyone just to increase our cap number. Its not your money so I don't understand why more fans are so in love with players salaries and their cap numbers. We as fans should be more concerned up upgrading the position not saving money. I want to know how cutting Whitner after having to let Goldson walk is going to help our secondary. Goldson was out of our control. There was no way we could bring him back at market value. Cutting Whitner however makes no sense at all.

draft/free agency
Originally posted by Cooper22:

Solid argument.

Whitner is a classic SS. Meaning, he's much better suited to defend the run than the pass, which I think he does pretty well actually.

He fits our scheme well because more often than not, we play eight men in the box. The problem is once our pass rush faded, his inability to cover become painfully obvious.

Good thing Anquan Boldin is on our team now, huh?
Originally posted by NinerG94:
And start who? Seriously, I have to question the sanity of some the posters in here. Our secondary was the weak link on defense last season and everyone is so ready to cut everyone just to increase our cap number. Its not your money so I don't understand why more fans are so in love with players salaries and their cap numbers. We as fans should be more concerned up upgrading the position not saving money. I want to know how cutting Whitner after having to let Goldson walk is going to help our secondary. Goldson was out of our control. There was no way we could bring him back at market value. Cutting Whitner however makes no sense at all.

draft/free agency

And those players are guaranteed? Who in FA is going to play better than Whitner? Seriously all this "the guy can't cover" talk has been blown way out of proportion. So nobody cares about run support I guess or the fact that Whitner is great tackler. Safeties have to be able to play the run well in this league too. In case you forgot its the running teams that beat us up last season. NOT the passing teams and yet you guys all want to cut every player in the secondary who plays the run well in favor of "ball hawks" as if they're just growing on trees. I give up.

Solid argument.
Cutting him Would not save $$$. On the contrary, it would become dead money and paying for him to be making it rain .

Solid argument.

To say we should just CUT someone means you clearly aren't thinking it through. No Whitner is not great in coverage and we could do better. But just cutting him isn't the solution. You say Draft Free Agency? ok. That's a solution. Who in Free Agency? And you want to just cut him and leave a huge hole in that position hoping a rookie can just come in and start? Do you know of any rookies who can? If so, name them. Since you're sooo serious on cutting Whitner, clearly you MUST have someone else in mind....
[ Edited by defenderDX on Mar 18, 2013 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by baltien:

Whitner is a classic SS. Meaning, he's much better suited to defend the run than the pass, which I think he does pretty well actually.

He fits our scheme well because more often than not, we play eight men in the box. The problem is once our pass rush faded, his inability to cover become painfully obvious.

Good thing Anquan Boldin is on our team now, huh?

I get that he's a typical classic SS, but I don't get why he was back in coverage so much. Get's burned every time

Solid argument.

To say we should just CUT someone means you clearly aren't thinking it through. No Whitner is not great in coverage and we could do better. But just cutting him isn't the solution. You say Draft Free Agency? ok. That's a solution. Who in Free Agency? And you want to just cut him and leave a huge hole in that position hoping a rookie can just come in and start? Do you know of any rookies who can? If so, name then. Since you're sooo serious on cutting Whitner, clearly you MUST have someone else in mind....

In the Draft: Matt Elam, John Cyprien, Eric Reid, Shawn Williams, JJ Wilcox, Duke Williams would all be upgrades over Whitner.
In Free Agency: Quintin Mikell, Bernard Pollard, and Michael Huff would all be immediate upgrades.. Not to mention the typical free safeties such as Kerry Rhodes, Ed Reed, and Charles Woodson
I get that he's a typical classic SS, but I don't get why he was back in coverage so much. Get's burned every time

He was chasing down receivers (or trying to at least) because we weren't getting pressure up front. There's not too many strong safeties in the league that are great in coverage. Were that the case, they'd play FS or CB.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not making excuses for Whitner. Just pointing out that asking him to cover a receiver is a lot. That's never been a part of his game.
Share 49ersWebzone