LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
The guy cant catch a flu, but I like that he finds open space so that balls can be thrown to him. There are only a handful of TEs in this league (and most of them are not your number 2 guy) that can find a lane then use it effectively to get open. If Delanie could catch, he'd likely be a hot commodity in free agency. This could be a blessing in disguise. I hope we keep him.

And lets not forget. For every 5 passes he drops in a row, the guy sure as hell comes up big at the most inopportune times. Id keep him.

i am not going to throw him a bone because he makes a catch one out of five times. why slobber over the guy when he catches a pass. that is his job and that is what is supposed to be doing all or a majority of the time. you could not keep a guy who is one out of five in baseball or is one out of five or two out of ten shooting in basketball. again the phrase" well he can not catch but we need to keep him" makes me insane

He is the 2nd TE on our squad. What exactly are you looking for at this position, cause I dont think we're gonna find another VD or Gonzalez to replace him. And yes, to me he is worth more than Celek or any other half-assed TE that doesnt even know how to run routes.
The guy cant catch a flu, but I like that he finds open space so that balls can be thrown to him. There are only a handful of TEs in this league (and most of them are not your number 2 guy) that can find a lane then use it effectively to get open. If Delanie could catch, he'd likely be a hot commodity in free agency. This could be a blessing in disguise. I hope we keep him.

And lets not forget. For every 5 passes he drops in a row, the guy sure as hell comes up big at the most inopportune times. Id keep him.

LOL......he finds open spaces because teams generally have him way down in terms of priority in covering him since he does such a good job defending himself by dropping easily catchable passes.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
He is the 2nd TE on our squad. What exactly are you looking for at this position, cause I dont think we're gonna find another VD or Gonzalez to replace him. And yes, to me he is worth more than Celek or any other half-assed TE that doesnt even know how to run routes.

round three of the draft, you can find a tight end that can block and catch. what good does it to run routes if he drops the ball.. well he can not catch but wow he sure can run good routes, please
I do want him back...Kap established a good rapport with Delanie before he did Vernon, for whatever reason. I get the drops...they are frustrating. But, I also get he can make big plays, has become a devastating blocker, and is great on ST's. So, he'd be hard to replace from those standpoints. I'd really like to see what he could produce as a receiver for a full year with Kap.
We can draft here. Use an extra lineman if we need a blocker. Save big money for our starters
Originally posted by Dblj55:
I want him back.

If we can get somebody who is a decent blocker and can actually catch the damn ball, I wouldn't want Walker back - even if he played for free.

He is easily the most overrated player on the team.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I do want him back...Kap established a good rapport with Delanie before he did Vernon, for whatever reason. I get the drops...they are frustrating. But, I also get he can make big plays, has become a devastating blocker, and is great on ST's. So, he'd be hard to replace from those standpoints. I'd really like to see what he could produce as a receiver for a full year with Kap.

This is what I mean about him being overrated. He developed a "good rapport" with Kaepernick because he was open, but he was open because teams were focusing on Vernon Davis. Another tight end could do the same if the defense forgets about him like they did Walker. As for him being a "devastating blocker," no. He makes his blocks according to the scheme. I refuse to believe another TE can't be taught to do the same. Once Delanie initiates his block, he is no more effective than any other guy on the offense. And as for his special teams play being so great.. I don't recall him being involved in many special teams plays. He made a couple nice stops in the Super Bowl, but outside of that, I see him on the special teams unit, but he isn't exactly a stud who makes many plays. CJ Spillman >>>> Walker and it's not close.

He is replaceable. If he could catch consistently and not fumble it away, he could be a serious threat. But he can't and he does.
@EvanSilva: If Delanie Walker leaves -- and I bet someone will overpay him -- James Casey would be upgrade on #49ers. Love Casey's versatility & upside.

@nfldraftscout: @evansilva Couldn't agree more. I really like Delanie, but Casey is just as good now.

@EvanSilva: RT @aggs82 Where are the likely landing spots for free agent Delanie Walker? ... Dunno but seems like a guy Jeff Ireland would overpay.
i would like to have him back, but wouldnt be upset if he leaves

I wouldnt mind brandon myers from raiders to fill role if contract is right
It think with getting Anquan it makes it less likely we sign Walker. I'm guessing we draft one.

i would only want him back if he learned how to catch
I'm under the impression that Boldin will be used as this year's "swiss army knife". No he is not a tight end but he can block and catch the ball very well. The only way I see Delanie come back is there's a weak market for him and some lower end teams make offers that don't appeal to him. I would absolutely love for him to come back though
Definitely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I honestly believe that anyone who doesn't want him back doesn't understand his role on the team. He's far more than the #2 TE.

I honestly think that the question should have had price points. Delanie is seeking starter money, and in my humble opinion he is a special teams, hb/slot receiver player. Worth 5 million a year, no way. 2 million a year then yes.

He is not the starter you cannot pay him starter money. Can get his replacement in the draft.
No
Share 49ersWebzone