LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 205 users in the forums

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Do You Want Delanie Walker Back?

no, i dont miss his stony hands at all. thanks...for nothing.
You can't really complain about losing him guys as it just wasn't possible to pay a backup TE 4 years 17.5 million. Of course his numbers are higher now he's the #1 and they don't have a lot of weapons besides Wright and him. I'm sure we would have taken him back at about 1.5 million a year, maybe 2 mil but just cant do 4.375. I think McDonald could be a great player and good weapon but we haven't used him at all really. Mainly just for blocking. Need to have him sit down in soft spots, curls, do some quick outs... just get him the ball and get his confidence up with some easy catches. Then he can start making plays down the field. We haven't gone to him enough to get him into any rhythm. Makes me sick how horribly we have used some of our guys on offense and how uncreative our pass game is.
I never thought I'd miss Delanie, not because he's a bad person, but because I thought he would be replaceable. I was dead wrong.. A high draft pick can't do half the things D Love has done for us over the years.
Yes. Vance Mcdonald has been very disappointing so far.
alex smith got 8 years and the kaep defenders always point to that in their comparison. delanie walker got 7 years, he was good the past 2 or 3 season but other than that took a while to get there. vance mcdonald should be given some more time. aside from that they cant pay 2 te's pretty good money, i know VD is on an elite deal and you just cant double up at too many positions like that. we've already done it an inside linebacker.
Originally posted by YungAce:
A high draft pick can't do half the things D Love has done for us over the years.
like dropping passes?
  • thl408
If DWalker was kept, Glen Dorsey isn't a 49er.
Not at the salary he is currently making
Mcdonald isn't getting alot of snaps/looks from Colin. While i think Mcdonald has skills, i'd rather have Mathieu. I was very sad when we drafted this kid instead of Mathieu. Reid and Mathieu as a safety combo COULD equal Thomas and Chandler (sp)
Give McDonald a chance...some are so quick to dismiss a rookie. If you remember, Vernon wasn't so great his first season...20 catches, 265 yds.

Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Give McDonald a chance...some are so quick to dismiss a rookie. If you remember, Vernon wasn't so great his first season...20 catches, 265 yds.

or how about comparing vance to walker. it took a while for delanie to become a contributer, now some of that was probably the boneheaded O before harbs showed up but the point remains.
I really like McDonald's skill set. I know he hasn't shown much of anything yet and I realize he still has a long way to go but I'm not ready to give up on him. He's already improved a ton with his blocking. The rest of his game will improve as well. He hasn't had much of an opportunity to this point and his one big opportunity to make a clutch game changing play didn't work out for him but lets not act like Delanie had naturally sticky hands. While Delanie did have some clutch moments,(Detroit) he also had some not so clutch moments. Eventually though I believe Vance will make everyone forget about Delanie ("I've had too many drops this year") Walker.
[ Edited by NinerG94 on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:

or how about comparing vance to walker. it took a while for delanie to become a contributer, now some of that was probably the boneheaded O before harbs showed up but the point remains.

2 receptions for 30 yards in his rookie season. To be fair thought, Eric Johnson had 200 yards and 2 TDs as he was the #2 in 2006.

Vance isn't far off, but it's more on Greg Roman and Colin Kaepernick than McDonald at this point.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by crabman82:

2 receptions for 30 yards in his rookie season. To be fair thought, Eric Johnson had 200 yards and 2 TDs as he was the #2 in 2006.

Vance isn't far off, but it's more on Greg Roman and Colin Kaepernick than McDonald at this point.

well delanie broke his collar bone if i remember correctly in his rookie season. but even then the guy wasnt much of a contributer until harbaugh arrived. he had times where he started for vernon in 2007. i know ppl want to crack on mcdonald but they forget how long it took delanie to become relevant.
Nah, I'm with Gore and cc on this. He had his shot, and he had stone hands...not always, but frequently enough when we just had to have a catch, that I would rather go with the draft. As far as McDonald, even tho he has had but just a few passes, that isn't his fault it's our ahem, REALLY OFFENSIVE coordinator. Vance has been open a number of times, and our red hot qB a) hasn't seen him or b) missed him. One exception was game before last when he hit Vance in the rt hand and left abdomen....the defensive LB had Vance's left hand pinned to Vance's body. Don't believe it? Go back and roll the tape. Perfect pass but there was uncalled holding on the play. Vance has become a very good run blocker, but who knows how good he catches if roman, then Jim Harbaugh, and finally kap don't throw to him. It is not vance's fault. Just like when alex was getting pounded by everyone and the media, I said give him a good OL and a good HC and then let's see. Well, he got both and did well. I believe the same is true for vance.

Along the same line, Coach H is a good talent evaluator....but he fails as a talent utilizer. He drafts good guys and then uses only 1 or 2. The rest...I guess they are just rookies or 2nd yr guys, and they have to wait their turn , while we watched kyle into futility kingdom come. Meantime LMJ, vance , Baldwin, just kind of get some table scraps. Harbaugh should right now know how good (or bad) each one of those guys are, and he doesn't. Why? Because he hasn't used them enough yet to find out. And that is Stooopid!. Great HC, with a few undesirable traits...and failure to know what he has in guys he drafts or trades for is a big fat F for him. It is inexcusable today to draft well or trade well and then not utilize the guys you acquired. Granted if we had megatron, Wes welker, Tony gonzalez, amendola, and one other hotshot TE/Receiver, kap would target one, maybe only 2 of them, in that he can't do progressions. And when he does, he just loves that football so much he can't bring himself to throw it. (Quote from games by Boldin: "Throw the damn ball".)

I finally get why kap throws so hard...because he thinks and recognizes so slow. Aikman says his windup is slow...unh unh. His thought processes and recognition are slow. Hence, why bring back Delanie, when we have a guy Vance, who is bigger , better, longer wingspan, and so on. Point is neither kap, roman, nor JH will utilize him because he isn't named Vernon or Anquan. THERE IS THE PROBLEM, not the TE we have. So heck no, don't bring delanie back. Plus as noted he is way over valued.
Share 49ersWebzone