LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 256 users in the forums

The future integrity of the NFL after Super Bowl 47

Shop 49ers game tickets
I didn't know they used the Rooney rule for refs. He had the integrity of a line judge.
We were the better team and should never have been in the position for the refs to make a difference.

I think its fine for us fans to complain and whine a bit but I'd really rather have Jim suck it up and act the part. He needs to set the tone that our play and coaching was subpar and the other team deserved it on that day but that we will learn and use it to get better and win it next year. No need to get into any of the ref stuff, it just makes him and us look weak! And now instead of the hard nosed and tough 49ers we are be labeled a bunch of fakes and sore losers.
Originally posted by BobS:
The problem is NONE of you who claim we are constantly getting screwed by the refs ever mention a bad call that went in favor of the 49ers. Every time I mention that a Rice fumble that wasn't called right in 1998 allowed the Catch 2 to happen when we should of lost I rarely get any acknowledgement other than it was a make up call for earlier bad calls in that game. A lot of you are extremely biased to the point where it is ridiculous.

Well...you are right there...except that replay wasn't even being used in the NFL in 1998.

I'll go you one better. In the NFC Championship game against the NY Giants last year, the refs ruled that a Giants RB was down even though it appeared he was stripped of the ball and lost it as he was going down....the exact same play as happened with the LMJ fumble in the SB this year! The only difference was....the Niners didn't get the call in last year's game and didn't get the call in this year's game.

So....you....whoever you are....trying to make the case that bad calls even out...they don't!!!
[ Edited by nw9erfan on Feb 5, 2013 at 11:12 PM ]
Originally posted by rk1642:
We were the better team and should never have been in the position for the refs to make a difference.

I think its fine for us fans to complain and whine a bit but I'd really rather have Jim suck it up and act the part. He needs to set the tone that our play and coaching was subpar and the other team deserved it on that day but that we will learn and use it to get better and win it next year. No need to get into any of the ref stuff, it just makes him and us look weak! And now instead of the hard nosed and tough 49ers we are be labeled a bunch of fakes and sore losers.

The issue I have with your position here is that because of the horrid officiating in the SB, we don't really know which is the better team that day because the rules of the game weren't properly enforced....thus, the integrity of the game is certainly in question.

Frankly, I don't give a damn what others think about complaining about the officials...especially when they have a direct effect on the outcome of the game. Even if it were another team in the SB and they lost because of poor calls, I would be upset with the NFL...because important games are lost by this BS all the time...and I'm tired of it. Look at the Tuck Rule play for example... Cost a team a chance at a championship.

Put a ref in the booth who can call penalties and overrule bad calls and that would go a long way in alleviating this problem. It is just disgraceful that a championship game should be decided by a bunch of incompetents, especially since the NFL has the resources to fix the problem.

Final point. The refs essentially gave the Ravens a gift TD on the kickoff return. The Niners lost the game by 3 points. You do the math.
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I also see no problem in questioning the integrity of the NFL because the NFL hasn't shown that there integrity is unquestionable.
They destroyed Spygate evidence.
They withheld medical evidence about the affects of concussions.
They played games with replacement referees.

You do have some sold points there///Couldn't be..all about the money, could it?
Just to add another one to the list...How about that Boldin catch where he was clear as day 1 full yard short of the 1st down, and the refs spotted it as a 1st down. We then had to use a challenge to reverse it.
Originally posted by cwilson830:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
I think the most ridiculous play out of the entire super bowl was the safety. They slowed it down and counted on espn today. There were no less than 4 unbelievably obvious holding penalties on that play. All the while they pointed out that it most likely wouldn't have made any change in the outcome of the game, but how do they justify not throwing a single flag on any of them. Not wanted to throw a close PI flag at the end is one thing. But completely ignoring 4 obvious penalties on one play is inexcusable no matter what point in the game it is.

Yup. Holding + Saftey gives us 10 yards on the kick right? Where are those yards enforced? Or is it just a saftey and thats it?

Maybe a bad kick and a fair catch and a hailmary or FG later....you never know

No, it wouldn't have made a difference. That's why the ravens coaches told their players to just tackle our guys. The issue is that they were that blatant, and the refs were too dumb to notice.
I'm wondering if the rule for this should be changed. If there is a holding penalty in this situation perhaps it should be ruled as a safety and the clock goes back to where it started on that play so the offense doesn't benefit from the intentional delay of game. It seems like a loophole to me. Just a thought.
This thread's NOT about whether the ref's officiating cost us the game. We lost the freaking game: y'all get over it. It's about the future integrity of the NFL game itself, when the officiating is so questionable.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Referees have been reluctant to throw flags in the final minutes since the beginning of mankind. It is a well known fact. It's our own fault for calling such stupid plays to put our fates in the hands of a PI call.
Especially last second throws in the end zone. On those 40+ yard Hail Mary heaves there is all kinds of shoving and wrestling going on, yet never a flag.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crimsontide:
This thread's NOT about whether the ref's officiating cost us the game. We lost the freaking game: y'all get over it. It's about the future integrity of the NFL game itself, when the officiating is so questionable.
A lot of you aren't being reasonable. First you have 7 guys at field level trying to watch 22 guys going full speed. The ref isn't watching the better view above the field that you have on your couch. There are going to be missed calls, and contrary to popular belief they don't all go against the 49ers.

Originally posted by BobS:
A lot of you aren't being reasonable. First you have 7 guys at field level trying to watch 22 guys going full speed. The ref isn't watching the better view above the field that you have on your couch. There are going to be missed calls, and contrary to popular belief they don't all go against the 49ers.

Normally, I would agree with you, Bob. But you would have to be blind not to notice the sheer number of missed/noncalls in this game. Something was up. I'm sorry if you can't see that. "Being reasonable" generally equates to one or two, perhaps 3, botched calls in a game -- not a 2-figure number like this one was. And no, all the calls did not go against the Niners. But did you happen to notice that the most critical ones MOST CERTAINLY did (see Miller hold on the kickoff return, Crabtree hold in the endzone)? Please name me one point-reducing noncall that went against the Ravens.
To all the ones that say we are looking at it biased.....I ask you to talk to anyone that watched the game that has any clue about football, and get their opinion. Everyone that has a set of eyes that didn't have a horse in the race , clearly saw that there were obvious critical non calls in the game.
fans these days dont take losses like they used to. right away its about who can you place blame on. what play can we over critique to death and say if this didnt happen we win the game. its sad. we got s**t kicked in the first half are were going to have a seattle like game had the power not gone out. a fade pass on 4th down with your season on the line is the dumbest play call you could have, especially since they eliminated the force out rule a few seasons back. i realize i'm personally not going to change the opinions of those who feel we were robbed. i laughed at seahawk fans years ago who pulled this crap (i live around a lot of them) and i just rolled my eyes in disgust when i seen the threads about being robbed on monday. the whiner label totally fits for this fan base. you dont ask for s**t, you go out and take it and we didnt do that.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What amazed me about the ref shove wasn't the lack of an ejection, but there wasn't even a flag.

Out of all the no-calls in the game, that was the worst. The ref can't claim he didn't see it, he FELT IT. f**ker got pushed back 10 yards lol.

really because they gang rushed JS for that
Originally posted by rxrunner:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
What amazed me about the ref shove wasn't the lack of an ejection, but there wasn't even a flag.

Out of all the no-calls in the game, that was the worst. The ref can't claim he didn't see it, he FELT IT. f**ker got pushed back 10 yards lol.

really because they gang rushed JS for that

at 28 seconds, how can you not see that, he blasted the ref and Justin Smith barely shoved the ref. wow i am speechless towards this
Share 49ersWebzone