There are 99 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Ray Lewis retirement/SB officiating question

Sorry if this has already been brought up, but I was wondering if any 49er fans are talking about and/or concerned with the Ray Lewis swan song affecting the officiating for the Super Bowl. It was actually the first thing I thought about after the Ravens beat the Pats last week. After seeing first hand how the Jerome Bettis homecoming to Detroit/retirement presumably impacted the officiating in XL, I would hate to see that scenario play out again.
Nope. Not at all. Refs make bad calls in games all the time that have nothing to do with Ray Lewis. Was Ray Lewis playing last year when the refs said Ahmad Bradshaw didn't fumble? If they make a bad call it'll just be them making a bad call and not making calls just for Ray Lewis.
The big difference is that no officiating crew has ever called the last game of Ray Lewis's First-Ballot HOF career that also happens to be the Super Bowl. The last time it happened, SB XL, the officiating was noticeably one-sided and it had an impact on the outcome of the game. Story lines sell, and the media is once again cranking up the Ray Lewis retirement "last ride" theme.

I agree that bad calls are made that have no connection to the people playing in them, but this is not an ordinary game under ordinary circumstances.
[ Edited by NavyHawk on Jan 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM ]
  • Paul
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 6,726
if that's the case Atlanta would have won last week.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,485
Originally posted by lamontb:
Nope. Not at all. Refs make bad calls in games all the time that have nothing to do with Ray Lewis. Was Ray Lewis playing last year when the refs said Ahmad Bradshaw didn't fumble? If they make a bad call it'll just be them making a bad call and not making calls just for Ray Lewis.

This.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,485
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
The big difference is that no officiating crew has ever called the last game of Ray Lewis's First-Ballot HOF career that also happens to be the Super Bowl. The last time it happened, SB XL, the officiating was noticeably one-sided and it had an impact on the outcome of the game. Story lines sell, and the media is once again cranking up the Ray Lewis retirement "last ride" theme.

I agree that bad calls are made that have no connection to the people playing in them, but this is not an ordinary game under ordinary circumstances.

In the end, refs care about their jobs more than about Ray Lewis farewell party. Just like everyone else on that field - they will try to do their best.
  • titan
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,568
Vernon just needs to go out and abuse him for his go away present!
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 28,485
Originally posted by titan:
Vernon just needs to go out and abuse him for his go away present!

Vernon and Walker both will be critical to marginalize Ray Lewis...and I fully expect us to run right at him.
Originally posted by NavyHawk:
The big difference is that no officiating crew has ever called the last game of Ray Lewis's First-Ballot HOF career that also happens to be the Super Bowl. The last time it happened, SB XL, the officiating was noticeably one-sided and it had an impact on the outcome of the game. Story lines sell, and the media is once again cranking up the Ray Lewis retirement "last ride" theme.

I agree that bad calls are made that have no connection to the people playing in them, but this is not an ordinary game under ordinary circumstances.

You dont think the NFL is more eager to sell Colin Kaepernick? Ray Lewis is old and hes almost gone. Everyone is already sick of his crying farewell tour. Kaepernick represents the future of the league, and is the talk of social media. If the NFL wants to sell any storyline, its Kaepernick.

Kaepernick is the one whos been on the cover of SI and ESPN the magazine the last 2 weeks.

Besides, why does nobody seem to remember that Ray Lewis HAS a ring already.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Jan 25, 2013 at 9:25 PM ]
No fear of this at all. Even if there were any truth to this, the 49ers with Colin Kaepernick are a potential goldmine for the NFL. Besides that, you never leave it in the hands in the refs. If we go out there and do what we can do, we should be able to defeat the Ravens. We don't have the limitations on offense that we had last season and with our overall team speed, should be able to stop the Ravens.
Score enough points and you take the refs out of the picture. I am getting sick of seeing his face plastered all over though, I think I will throw up if I have to hear how he mentors his team one more time. I mean the guy is good at what he does, and If he retires with only one ring, too f ing bad. Marino has 0 rings.
We need to help Moss get a ring, screw Lewis; if the refs blow a call or two in the 49ers favor so be it.
Nope, not worried at all. OP is sensitive on the subject because his Seahawks got a raw deal in SB XL. I don't think there was ref bias in that game, just very poorly officiated. Bottom line is this -- if we outplay the Ravens, we win regardless of the officials. I expect the officials, whether they are good or bad, to call the game fairly.
I hope not
I think this thread is more about sour grapes.