LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 299 users in the forums

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by GEEK:
Also remember that if Alex is a free agent, his salary will probably be in the 10-12M range with all the teams that's interested in him. By trading for him, he will save you 3ish million dollars.

This, any team that trades for him gets him at $8 million a year, for the next 2 years......$8 million is about 20th highest of all current NFL QB salaries and will drop ever lower after this offseason.....in other words, its a damn bargain.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Also remember that if Alex is a free agent, his salary will probably be in the 10-12M range with all the teams that's interested in him. By trading for him, he will save you 3ish million dollars.

This, any team that trades for him gets him at $8 million a year, for the next 2 years......$8 million is about 20th highest of all current NFL QB salaries and will drop ever lower after this offseason.....in other words, its a damn bargain.

Agreed.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
A million dollars in the NFL is nothing to GMs who are not smart and reckless with the accounting.

Our front office does not seem the type.

I wouldn't think $1 million is a lot to you considering it is not your money and you are ok with splurging $8.5 million to keep Smith as a back up.

Here's the deal, Jed York has come out and stated that the 49ers could very well just hold on to Alex. They don't need to release him whatsoever, they can re-sign Goldson, sign their draft picks, add a couple of veteran low-tier free agents and still be good. Maybe he's just blustering to up his trade value, but its clear that keeping him is entirely feasible financially, regardless of whatever claims you may make.

It's foolish to think the Niners will keep Smith as an $8.5 million dollar back up. Of course he is trying to make his trade value go up so he can get a sucker GM to believe it.

I just don't think there are GMs stupid enough to think that we will. Hopefully there is a sucker out there that believes it and we get a draft pick out of it.

That is our only leverage is if teams think his contract is a bargain. Hopefully a team thinks so.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
stuck with a $8 million dllar backup....another way of looking at is they have under $10 million invested in the qb position, very reasonable for a super bowl caliber team===but i still think they parts way with smith, however if baalke cant get his price, who knows

He'll get traded one way or another, there's literally no downside to trading him and they'll have 2 months to do it before they have to be on the hook for the $7.5 million portion.

So essentially the question is, do you dump a valuable commodity for zip, zero, nada......or do you hold on to him, taking the $1 million hit and get the best possible deal from a desperate team, giving you a 2nd or 3rd round choice to select another cornerback, wide receiver, or upgrade at some other position. To me its simply a no-brainer, especially this year, there's no Andrew Luck or RG3, Alex is about as good as it gets.
That will drive his value up. If there were a handful of NFL ready QBs in the draft or a few good free agents out there Alex's trade value might be a 4th rounder, but that is not the case. I never swang from his nuts, but Alex is heads above the rest of the QB options. It only takes two people wanting something at an auction to drive the price up, and there are at least a half dozen QB hungry teams out there, pretty sure someone will cough of at least a second rounder or a nice caliber player.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by valrod33:
This was posted about Alex Smith on ESPN

The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles have all been mentioned as speculative possibilities thus far. We've heard that the idea of his landing in Cleveland has something more to it than just idle speculation. Stay tuned.

I'm hoping KC trades for Smith or if Smith is released he would choose to go to KC. That is such a match made in heaven IMO, Andy Reid and his offense, J. Charles, Jonathan Baldwin and pretty decent O-line and defense. There's not too much rebuilding that needs to be done there.
Trade Alex for Darrelle Revis and cut Rodgers and resign Josh Johnson as backup. Should keep cap salary around the same.

Or trade Alex and Gore to the Browns and take Trent Richardson. Boys gonna be a huge star
[ Edited by smithc28 on Jan 30, 2013 at 10:16 AM ]
Originally posted by smithc28:
Trade Alex for Darrelle Revis and cut Rodgers and resign Josh Johnson as backup. Should keep cap salary around the same.

Or trade Alex and Gore to the Browns and take Trent Richardson. Boys gonna be a huge star

Man you must be crazy!!!
Originally posted by cjsmoove:
Man you must be crazy!!!

Yes but the good kind of crazy, balls out crazy
Trent Richardson is a boss no way around that and I have no doubt with the oline we have he would be in kitchen all day cooking

Adam Schefter said on PTI that he think Alex Smith is going to go for a 6th round pick with the possibility of it becoming a 4th rd if he wins a playoff game. He made it sound as if the Baalke has no leverage but the quality of Smith would make things reasonable for a trade. This seems to me like he's implying that the team interested know better than to let go of a high pick. If thats the name of the game we would lose.
[ Edited by eonblue on Jan 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM ]

Man you must be crazy!!!

he must think he is back on Madden 13. Pipe dream only bro

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Trent Richardson is a boss no way around that and I have no doubt with the oline we have he would be in kitchen all day cooking

Adam Schefter said on PTI that he think Alex Smith is going to go for a 6th round pick with the possibility of it becoming a 4th rd if he wins a playoff game. He made it sound as if the Baalke has no leverage but the quality of Smith would make things reasonable for a trade. This seems to me like he's implying that the team interested know better than to let go of a high pick. If thats the name of the game we would lose.
Dude is nuts. If before a draft all teams knew what level a player would attain, and they had a QB who would put up above average numbers immediately what round would he get drafted in? Anything after the 3rd round they are fishing for a back-up, Alex is not a back-up. No one would expect to pull a starter out of round six. I know late round QBs made it in the NFL, but they probably shocked the people that drafted them.
Originally posted by BobS:
Dude is nuts. If before a draft all teams knew what level a player would attain, and they had a QB who would put up above average numbers immediately what round would he get drafted in? Anything after the 3rd round they are fishing for a back-up, Alex is not a back-up. No one would expect to pull a starter out of round six. I know late round QBs made it in the NFL, but they probably shocked the people that drafted them.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick. I agree with you though. Alex Smith is guaranteed to produce. Any team that gets him has a fully groomed product that can make the right decisions. He's just trying to be a shark and act like San Fran has no leverage in the deal which to an extent we don't. He did have one intelligent prediction. The pick could possibly be for the 2014 draft and it could also have conditional placement. Something to think about.
He'll play for the Dilligaf Whogivesashtis.

#bookit
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:

Man you must be crazy!!!

he must think he is back on Madden 13. Pipe dream only bro

Not even madden is that unrealistic. And I would feel sorry for Alex if he had to go to the Browns. They are in the stage of rebuilding that we were with Nolan. Painful road ahead for them.
Pete Carroll will overpay him to give away our secrets. I'm sure some Divisional rival will get him just because he knows our playbook.
Share 49ersWebzone