• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by Paul:
I heard Schefter on PTI yesterday saying the 49ers do want to keep him but salary next season makes it unlikely. He also talked about Smith being traded for a conditional 6th rounder that could move up to a 4th or so depending on his playing time (which was a scenario he just said on the fly)

A conditional 6th???? LOL. Gonna get way more.

Like I said, those who are expecting a 2nd or 3rd round pick is wishful thinking. We can expect a 4th at most, especially if teams know that Smith will be released. Sure you can say that they will trade for him knowing that they can secure his services, but you can expect teams to low-ball the 49ers.

No. Just no. We will get atleat a 3rd value in compensation, whether it is a 3rd or some sort of package involving trades of picks. Im predicting a second round value as compensation. Some of you guys seriously underrate Smiths value in this market.

I know that Smith is a solid starter in this league, but hes no Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Drew Brees in other words hes not a house hold name that teams are knocking each other over for. Face it, its reality, even an NFL insider sees his value as a 4th-6th rounder, if he thought the price for Smith would be in the 2nd-3rd round range don't you think he would've said something of the sort??

The opinion of an NFL "insider" is just that; an opinion, and we don't know on what he is basing his opinion. In this case, the Kolb and Flynn deals will still play a large part in setting the price. The fact that neither of those guys lived up to the price only makes Smith that much more valuable. Smith has had a longer record of success than both of those other guys combined. And, let's not forget, Smith had 6 very good games under Singletary/Mike Johnson before Harbaugh ever arrived here. Alex Smith's agent will not forget that and you can be sure that every GM will remember it as well. If they do forget, Trent Baalke will be there to remind them. All this talk about Jim Harbaugh making Alex Smith a good QB is over-stating the case.

Personally, I would like to see the 49ers just release Smith as a show of gratitude for his loyalty. However, the only way I see that happening is he agrees not to sign with Arizona, and I cannot see Alex Smith agreeing to that. However, reality is that the 49ers are going to want to get some value for Smith and that means they will seek to trade him to the highest bidder. Since all the QB needy teams realize there is no fix in the draft, and that an FA bidding war for Smith will quickly exceed his current salary, one or several of those teams will jump in quickly to make a deal early before the price gets too high.

I could see Cleveland or KC switching 2nd round picks with the 49ers in exchange for Alex Smith, straight up. Either of those teams solve their QB problems immediately and the 49ers get a pick that should yield a player that will be a starter by the beginning of the 2014 season. Ideally that would be the future replacement for Justin Smith. Some kind of a package deal like that is how I see this deal playing out.

Yada yada yada, lets not go through who Smith is better than or who is better than Smith, like I said aside from us homers, teams could think otherwise. And who says that's just an opinion of Schefter, he has all the resources in the NFL to say otherwise, unless of course you have resources and insiders of your own.

Yah I could see teams switching 2nd round picks with Smith involved, but its still not a pick for player, its a pick and player for a pick to move up a few spots.

The only way Smith is released is if the 49ers would absolutely get nothing in return for Smith, which I don't see happening.
Some team is going to pony up a good pick for Smith. The QB market/draft for QB's is pure garbage. If it was only one team they could call the shots but with multiple teams somebody is going to pony up.
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Jay Cutler was traded to the Chicago Bears along with a fifth-round pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Broncos received QB Kyle Orton, the Bears' first and third-round selections in 2009, and the Bears' first-round pick in 2010. And there are rumors out of Chicago the Bears may be bidders on AS. Can't blame them right now AS is a better QB than Cutler.

Matt Cassel was traded to KC for a 34th overall pick. Cassel had played 1 full season with the Pats when Brady was injured.

Matt Schaub also a career backup who had never taken Atlanta to an NFCCG was traded to the Houston Texans for second round picks in 2007 and 2008 the teams also swapped first round picks in 2007, exchanging the Falcons' 10th pick with the Texans' 8th pick.

Someone is going to pony up for Alex all right and Baalke and Harbaugh will make sure we get excellent return in a trade.

What's Alex's trade value? The going rate trade market value for experienced NFL QB's is posted above. As previously mentioned add Palmer for a 1st and conditional 2nd/1st & Kolb for a pro bowler & 2nd rounder.

Alex Smith is not a back up NFL QB. He lost his starting gig over a concussion and because of the emergence of the next up and coming NFL superstar QB CK7. Smith has excellent market value on his resume since coached up by Harbaugh other teams GM's know it and are going to seriously evaluate AS's play over the last 2 seasons several teams will be bidding and there will be lots of time for bidding wars for Alex to heat up.
Sources: Demand High For Alex Smith

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8910169/san-francisco-49ers-try-trade-alex-smith-sources

The San Francisco 49ers will attempt to trade quarterback Alex Smith this offseason, according to league sources, and some believe they will be able to do it because there is not a great supply of available quarterbacks and there is a demand for Smith.

Browns new offensive coordinator Norv Turner worked well with Smith in San Francisco when he was the team's offensive coordinator in 2006 and Chiefs coach Andy Reid has expressed interest in Smith in the past, making Cleveland and Kansas City two possible destinations.

NFL Top 10 List:
Alex Smith as a starter this season...

Completion Percentage: 70.0 Ranked 1st
Yards/Att: 8.0 Ranked 3rd
Total QBR: 70.1 Ranked 8th
I think that swapping 3rd rounders with a team picking in the top 10 is about right.

its the equivalent of a late 3rd.
I'd Also like to say that. I think KC is an ideal landing spot. Smith is the clear starter in 2013 and maybe 2014, while Andy Reid drafts a developmental prospect, perhaps EJ Manuel or something.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I think that swapping 3rd rounders with a team picking in the top 10 is about right.

Your seriously undervaluing Smith's trade value.

Smith won't be traded for a late 3rd round pic. lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

What will he be traded for then?

He can't make all the throws and he doesn't target receivers before they make their break...no anticipation. He's also at his ceiling.

Less than what Kolb went for. Kolb can make all the throws, and therefore has a higher ceiling.

I'll gladly make that prediction in the weeks after the SB when we see for sure what teams are after AS and what our cap looks like etc..

But 1 prediction i will make right now is that anyone who thinks the NFL GM of the year Baalke is just going to dump AS for a 3rd round pick will be proven wrong.

go niners go!!!!!!!!!!!!
Backup / competition for the Ravens.
Dude will wait for the perfect time to eff us over even more than he as the past 7 years......what better day that now?
#turncoat

Less than what Kolb went for. Kolb can make all the throws, and therefore has a higher ceiling.

Kolb is nothing
Teams make outlandish "reaches" all the time. Carson Palmer is one and the experts in the Zone can pull out the fact books on the many times teams spent more than market value for a player.

IMO, Baalke/JH are smart operators and will get an excellent deal beyond what we in the Zone are expecting.

Getting a high third from KC or Browns and MAYBE a very good DL rotation guy is not out the question.

Something to look forward to in the WAYYYYYYYYYY to long off season.

He can't make all the throws and he doesn't target receivers before they make their break...no anticipation. He's also at his ceiling.

more myths about smith that just arent true
Share 49ersWebzone