There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible landing spot for Alex Smith

Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Pete Carroll will overpay him to give away our secrets. I'm sure some Divisional rival will get him just because he knows our playbook.

One more reason to trade him and not just release him, him going to the Cardinals would be more damaging than just being limited to his performance out on the field.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
I heard Schefter on PTI yesterday saying the 49ers do want to keep him but salary next season makes it unlikely. He also talked about Smith being traded for a conditional 6th rounder that could move up to a 4th or so depending on his playing time (which was a scenario he just said on the fly)
Originally posted by Paul:
I heard Schefter on PTI yesterday saying the 49ers do want to keep him but salary next season makes it unlikely. He also talked about Smith being traded for a conditional 6th rounder that could move up to a 4th or so depending on his playing time (which was a scenario he just said on the fly)

A conditional 6th???? LOL. Gonna get way more.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

I'd be happy getting a 6th over nothing.

We could easily get nothing
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

I'd be happy getting a 6th over nothing.

We could easily get nothing

Conditional pick makes the most sense for all IMHO.
  • Paul
  • Veteran

a 6th which could turn to a 4th or something more based on him playing snaps, winning a playoff game etc.
Maybe a sixth this year and a conditional pick for next year.

a 6th which could turn to a 4th or something more based on him playing snaps, winning a playoff game etc.

a 6th rounder is way too low, Schefter is full of speculation
Originally posted by BobS:
Dude is nuts. If before a draft all teams knew what level a player would attain, and they had a QB who would put up above average numbers immediately what round would he get drafted in? Anything after the 3rd round they are fishing for a back-up, Alex is not a back-up. No one would expect to pull a starter out of round six. I know late round QBs made it in the NFL, but they probably shocked the people that drafted them.

How is it nuts? Alex Smith is not going to be a 49er next year. If the Cheifs really want him, they will just wait for him to get cut. The 49ers are not keeping him as a $8M backup. It doesn't matter what sort of smoke Jed York blows, he is not on this team next year. The 49ers simply do not have much leverage at all. There is incentive for a team to trade for him and acquire him at his current contract, but it's not enough incentive to give up a high draft pick. I could easily see Smith going for a conditional 4th-6th.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by valrod33:
This was posted about Alex Smith on ESPN

The Buffalo Bills, Cleveland Browns, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Philadelphia Eagles have all been mentioned as speculative possibilities thus far. We've heard that the idea of his landing in Cleveland has something more to it than just idle speculation. Stay tuned.

I'm hoping KC trades for Smith or if Smith is released he would choose to go to KC. That is such a match made in heaven IMO, Andy Reid and his offense, J. Charles, Jonathan Baldwin and pretty decent O-line and defense. There's not too much rebuilding that needs to be done there.

Agreed
Originally posted by theduke85:
Originally posted by BobS:
Dude is nuts. If before a draft all teams knew what level a player would attain, and they had a QB who would put up above average numbers immediately what round would he get drafted in? Anything after the 3rd round they are fishing for a back-up, Alex is not a back-up. No one would expect to pull a starter out of round six. I know late round QBs made it in the NFL, but they probably shocked the people that drafted them.

How is it nuts? Alex Smith is not going to be a 49er next year. If the Cheifs really want him, they will just wait for him to get cut. The 49ers are not keeping him as a $8M backup. It doesn't matter what sort of smoke Jed York blows, he is not on this team next year. The 49ers simply do not have much leverage at all. There is incentive for a team to trade for him and acquire him at his current contract, but it's not enough incentive to give up a high draft pick. I could easily see Smith going for a conditional 4th-6th.

If KC really wants him they wont wait for some other team liek the Jets, Jags, Bills, Browns, or Titans to make an offer
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Like I said, those who are expecting a 2nd or 3rd round pick is wishful thinking. We can expect a 4th at most, especially if teams know that Smith will be released. Sure you can say that they will trade for him knowing that they can secure his services, but you can expect teams to low-ball the 49ers.
Here's some fuel to the fire.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000133549/article/report-49ers-alex-smith-could-join-kansas-city-chiefs

He's clearly smoking crack. Tebow got traded for a 4th rounder and he can't even throw the ball. I think the actual result will be a 4th rounder that conditionally could become a 2nd or 3rd.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 31, 2013 at 6:17 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's clearly smoking crack. Tebow got traded for a 4th rounder and he can't even throw the ball. I think the actual result will be a 4th rounder that conditionally could become a 2nd or 3rd.

this, but then again tannenbaum and the jets are idiotic media whores who way over paid